Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Trickery

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Trickery

Postby steelerette » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:37 pm

We talked about this a little bit in the game day thread, but I was wondering what those who weren't posting during the Vikings game thought about FWP taking two snaps from center and Ben being used as a wide-out.

Do you think it is a good play, or should the Steelers dump the play? FWP did gain five yards when it was used the first time, but none when it was used the second.

Stillers.com Team

Re: Trickery

Postby trenches » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:47 pm

I think it was used only to make the opposition think about it -- to game plan for it. If they want to use it effectively, they need to use it when Parker is a sidecar.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby El Nino » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:48 pm

no idea why ben is at wr on that play. dixon i could understand though.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:30 pm

I didn't like it much though I do like the idea of offensive experimentation.

trenches has a valid point too. It could have been thrown out there for game-planning purposes and perhaps, if implemented in a real game situation... I dunno. Perhaps something like a delayed-counter to the opposite side might have a chance at more yardage? I mean... If a defense were to prepare for that play as-is, you might get an over-committed defense with a potential 1-on-1 in the wide open field. Who knows. When you have a speedster like Willie, anything can happen I suppose.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Crosby4Life » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:35 pm

El Nino wrote:no idea why ben is at wr on that play. dixon i could understand though.

I agree. Ben is elusive and athletic, but he's not fast. I just don't see what damage he could possibly do out there, unless they're planning on running a double or bounce pass. Those plays worked great for my high school team, but they'd be very low percentage plays in the NFL. You're essentially wasting a position.

That's not to mention what you're losing by having Willie at QB. Is he even a threat to throw? I think he ran a halfback pass once or twiice, but can't remember

I don't think any defensive coordinators will spend more than about 20 seconds watching those plays on film.

Practice Squad

Postby Y-Town Steel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:43 pm

I think they plan to use Dixon in that formation when the games count. It gave the rest of the starters a chance to run the play, probably most important gave Willie practice catching a couple snaps.

No way they ever put Ben out there in a real game. If they use it it'll be Dixon.
I'm the mutha-flippin' Rhymenocerous

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Crosby4Life » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:11 am

Maybe. Even with Dixon at that spot, I don't see much of a benefit. He's no more of a receiving or reverse threat than Hines or Santonio. There's no way to get him the ball quick enough out there for any kind of double pass. NFL DB's would eat that alive.

I dunno, maybe they'll prove me wrong, and I'd be thrilled with that if it's successful. I just don't see it.

Flight of the Conchords rock, by the way...

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:45 am

Trickeration is a good thing....and there are people on this team like Ward and Miller who have been quarterbacks in college or high school. Willie can lateral the ball or hand it off to a wideout.

Benji played some DB - and I believe some WR - in high school. (And it helped with his tackling skills, you may recall!)

He's pretty tall and has good hands, and can outfight a small cornerback.

Hinesy was on the receiving end of one somewhat memorable trick play. There's no reason Ward couldn't be the passer and Ben the receiver on another. Agressive defenses often ignore or overlook the quarterback on those trick plays. :subngtowl:

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:09 pm

steelerette wrote:We talked about this a little bit in the game day thread, but I was wondering what those who weren't posting during the Vikings game thought about FWP taking two snaps from center and Ben being used as a wide-out.

Do you think it is a good play, or should the Steelers dump the play? FWP did gain five yards when it was used the first time, but none when it was used the second.

Steelers rolling out a trick formation in a pre-season game, fairly deep in Steelers territory? Seems odd to me and with Ben lined up as receiver seems kind of lame. Ben needs to come back, take a handoff or pitch from Willie and then throw it downfield, but against a great D such as the Vikings there is not enough time. It does not seem too difficult to game plan against that formation with Willie taking the snap, he has not demonstrated throwing ability to me. But is certainly was different. I did not like it shown in a pre-season game. Use it early in the season and make it work.

Practice Squad

Postby BeavisFour » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:29 pm

Anyone know if FWP can throw? or when and if that play is ever ran again will it always be a run?

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:05 pm

I've seen pregame shots of Willie tossing a ball... not very pretty in my recollection. Of course, Bettis was terrible with his huge shoulder pads yet pulled it off a few times. Surprise is more key than anything else if you don't have a Randle El-type with a decent arm. Still, I don't see FWP being used in anything other than a direct snap draw or similar play.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:06 pm

BeavisFour wrote:Anyone know if FWP can throw? or when and if that play is ever ran again will it always be a run?

I was wondering the same thing, Beavis. I actually thought that play would work better if he could throw the pigskin. But that's only if the center doesn't snap the ball over his head like he nearly did on Saturday night against the Vikings. :lol:

I want to see some reverses and some fleaflickers. They're my fave. So exciting! :celebrate:

Nel wrote:Steelers rolling out a trick formation in a pre-season game, fairly deep in Steelers territory? Seems odd to me and with Ben lined up as receiver seems kind of lame. Ben needs to come back, take a handoff or pitch from Willie and then throw it downfield, but against a great D such as the Vikings there is not enough time. It does not seem too difficult to game plan against that formation with Willie taking the snap, he has not demonstrated throwing ability to me. But is certainly was different. I did not like it shown in a pre-season game. Use it early in the season and make it work.

I agree with you 100%, Nel. When we saw this trickery play twice during the game, you and I both thought it was shiite. :lol: :surockin:

Return to Stillers Talk