Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Mendenhall speaks about fumbles

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:48 pm

I Like the attitude.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=1
Steelers | Mendenhall has trouble holding onto football
Sun, 24 Aug 2008 00:59:55 -0700

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie RB Rashard Mendenhall rushed 15 times for 79 yards Saturday, Aug. 23, versus the Minnesota Vikings. He also caught two passes for 15 yards. Mendenhall, however, also fumbled two times during the game, losing both of them. According to The Associated Press, Mendenhall said the fumbles never should have happened. "This league isn't easy," he said. "It's hard being young in this league, and coach knows that. He just wants to encourage me and remind me that this is the time to get better."

also quoted at http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3550721

Stillers.com Team

Re: Mendenhall speaks about fumbles

Postby Nel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:07 pm

This is not the first time Mendenhall has offered this "young" excuse. He also made it it training camp.

Personally, I don't want to see excuses.

He was stripped twice. Maybe he has focused too much on having big, impressive biceps instead of strong hands and forearms.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:07 pm

I don't think being "young" has anything to do with it. Mendenhall is a running back. Running backs are supposed to protect and hold onto the ball, no matter if they're playing pee wee, JV, varsity, college, or NFL football.

Mendenhall needs to continue to work on his ball control.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Nashsteeler » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:18 pm

This is not the first time Mendenhall has offered this "young" excuse. He also made it it training camp.

He was stripped twice. Maybe he has focused too much on having big, impressive biceps instead of strong hands and forearms.

Thats always something rookies have trouble with. Mendenhall is not unique in this respect. Personally, I'm glad it happened in a preseason game and not in a regaulr season game.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:50 pm

Mendenhall had trouble with fumbles in college, too, didn't he? That is why it's a concern for me. Regardless, he is at the pro level now, and I think it is something he can work on correcting. I sure hope so anyway.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby sarka196 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:54 pm

I knew I had read that somewhere around the draft. Had to go back and find it here:

http://www.northfloridanewsdaily.com...ports/150.HTML

Still, Mendenhall has been known to be a fumbler, not so much last season but more so in 2006.

I saw him in several games and didn't remember him fumbling, but was sure I had read that.
Marines should come with warning labels.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:13 pm

Nel wrote:This is not the first time Mendenhall has offered this "young" excuse. He also made it it training camp.

The first fumble wasn't really a strip. He was hit from the opposite side he was holding the ball and the force just knocked it out of his hands. Probably not holding the ball tight enough to his body.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:14 pm

And at least Mendenhall was getting yards albeit against scrubs in the 2nd half. Parker continues to prairie dance behind the line.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:23 pm

No l Gravity l wrote:
Nel wrote:This is not the first time Mendenhall has offered this "young" excuse. He also made it it training camp.

The first fumble wasn't really a strip. He was hit from the opposite side he was holding the ball and the force just knocked it out of his hands. Probably not holding the ball tight enough to his body.

That's true, I got a little carried away.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:52 pm

Maybe Mendy needs to take a page out of Riki Tiki Barber's playbook. I remember a story before or during a game a few years ago about how he changed his grip and arm position to eliminate losing the ball on contact. Now is the time to stop the issue before it becomes a habit.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:04 pm

I could care less if he fumbled 5 times and made an exscuse for everyone , its the preseason !
willy parker had the fumbles for a few weeks and every rb goes through it at some point in thier career . So it's good it happened yesterday , gives the staff a chance to see what hes doing wrong and correct it early into the rookies campaign.

What's more important is he showed that he is going to be a quality nfl back, if nothing more..

I am sure he will fumble a few more times this season, its part of the learnig process..

I am sure part of the problem is getting used to the speed of the nfl and proccesing all that data while making cuts and jukes, he could have been processing his next move when he got hit. 2 months down the road , there will be less processing and more instinct.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby El Nino » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:46 pm

hopefully he can fix the problem so he doesn't end up being the next rashaan salaam

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:22 pm

hopefully he can fix the problem so he doesn't end up being the next rashaan salaam

I didn't know Rashard was an injury-prone pothead... :?:

Seriously though...

I have to agree with the "It's only the preseason" crowd. Sure, no one likes to see a running back fumbling multiple times in a game... Especially when one, if not all lead to points.

I do hope that it comes down to his holding technique. With arms that size, you would think there'd be enough 'strengf' in 'em to keep that ball secure. Let's not jump the gun and leave it to the coaches to get any such problem corrected before it starts to count. The first fumble looked like he just flat dropped the ball. I understand there was contact, but I don't remember seeing the defender putting a hand on the ball and HOPE that he doesn't fumble from contact alone.

Aside from his fumbles, he did have flashes of greatness albeit against 2nd tier folk. I'm starting to like the pick more and more every time I see him run. Let's not forget that just about all, if not all, top-tier talent that fit the OL/DL needs were drafted prior to our pick. I don't mind the 'best talent' pick at all. The guy cuts on a dime and has quick acceleration.

Here's to football! :cheers:

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:30 pm

WoodsonOfSteel wrote:Here's to football! :cheers:

I will second and third that motion! 8-)

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby sarka196 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:22 pm

trenches wrote:Maybe Mendy needs to take a page out of Riki Tiki Barber's playbook. I remember a story before or during a game a few years ago about how he changed his grip and arm position to eliminate losing the ball on contact. Now is the time to stop the issue before it becomes a habit.

:yes:

Barber started carrying the ball at a 45% angle and reduced his fumbles greatly.
Marines should come with warning labels.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby JumboHeadYouks » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:41 am

steelerette wrote:Mendenhall had trouble with fumbles in college, too, didn't he? That is why it's a concern for me. Regardless, he is at the pro level now, and I think it is something he can work on correcting. I sure hope so anyway.

Yes he did. A friend of mine, who also happens to be both an Illinois fan and a Shitstain fan, was using "Mendenhall fumbles alot" to CONSOLE himself after we got the STEAL of the draft. Willie Parker used to cough it up a ton...he has gotten much better...it takes time, but this kid is special, he will be fine.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:55 pm

JumboHeadYouks wrote:
steelerette wrote:Mendenhall had trouble with fumbles in college, too, didn't he? That is why it's a concern for me. Regardless, he is at the pro level now, and I think it is something he can work on correcting. I sure hope so anyway.

Yes he did. A friend of mine, who also happens to be both an Illinois fan and a Shitstain fan, was using "Mendenhall fumbles alot" to CONSOLE himself after we got the STEAL of the draft. Willie Parker used to cough it up a ton...he has gotten much better...it takes time, but this kid is special, he will be fine.

I think you're absolutely right, Jumbo. You've convinced me. Mendenhall is going to do some great things, and our team has him. So tell your friend "Neener, neener, neener." :subngtowl:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:57 pm

Nel, I'm kinda mad at you. Do you know why? No? Well, let me tell you why then. You no longer have that hawt Ben avatar. Now who am I supposed to drool over when I come here? WTH? Pfffft. :evil: Don't you feel naked now?

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:01 pm

steelerette wrote:

Nel, I'm kinda mad at you. Do you know why? No? Well, let me tell you why then. You no longer have that hawt Ben avatar. Now who am I supposed to drool over when I come here? WTH? Pfffft. :evil: Don't you feel naked now?

For you, my friend, I may just put the ring-wearing Ben avatar back into my profile.

Yes, I do feel a wee bit naked. :balloon:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:09 pm

Nel wrote:
steelerette wrote:

For you, my friend, I may just put the ring-wearing Ben avatar back into my profile.

Yes, I do feel a wee bit naked. :balloon:

I love you, man! You rawk my world, babe! Thank you. *smooch* :lol:

Next

Return to Stillers Talk