Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Starting O-line vs Vikings

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

Starting O-line vs Vikings

Postby papaspudly » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:14 am

This is the first game I've ever used DVR to rewind and rewatch in slow-mo, which really lets you see the line....

Marvel Smith: Held up really well against Jared Allen. I only saw Allen beat him twice. Once, Willie stayed in and picked him up, keeping Ben clean. On the other, Allen lined up really wide (outside of TE - 8 technique?), and Miller whiffed on a chip as he released. Allen had a head of steam and bullrushed Marvel, but Ben escaped the pressure. Overall, Smith played really well against one of the best passrushers in the NFL. :cheers:

Kemo: In pass-pro, he usually double-teamed big Pat Williams with Hartwig. Big #94 was not a factor in the passing game. In the run game, Kemo got out and pulled. On one of the trick plays with Ben lined up wide, I counted 3 guys that Kemo blocked on the single play, one of whom he de-cleated. He looked strong tonight. :surockin:

Hartwig: In pass-pro, generally double teamed Pat Williams with Kemo. In the run game, he mostly held his ground against the big man, though big Pat did blow up a couple of plays. Overall, Hartwig held his own. :sufootballhelmet:

Colon: Played really well - except for 2 plays where he looked ridiculous. On those two plays, he got beat by #91 Edwards, giving up 1/2 a sack on one of those. The next time Edwards beat him, Ben managed to escape. Really inconsistent... looks great for about 4 or 5 plays, then lets an average DE beat him twice. :P

Simmons: Terrible! Wow, you really can't appreciate how bad he was until you slow it down on replay... I counted 8 "deep drop" passes in the first half (not counting screens and quick slants where the d-line has no chance to get pressure). On those 8 attempts, K. Williams (#93) beat Simmons 5 out of 8 times, including 2 sacks. - IN ONE HALF! - On the back to back sacks, Simmons got beat badly both times. The first sack was just a whiffed block. The second sack, DE Edwards and DT K Williams stunted. Colon had to take the wide LB who was blitzing. This leaves Hartwig and Simmons to take Edwards and Williams. Since Hartwig is the C, he can only take the inside man (the stunting Edwards). Simmons needs to take the wide rusher, DT Williams. Instead, he chooses to double team Edwards, leaving a 300lb DT free to hit Ben. Also, on the first Mendenhall fumble, the entire defensive fron 8 was accounted for - the blitz was picked up, and Mendenhall juked out the free LB. But Simmons whiffed on his block of K Williams, who eventually chased down Mendy and forced the fumble. Had Simmons made that block, Mendenhall might still be running... Simmons looked like the worst player on the field by a country mile. :shock:
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert

Stillers.com Team

Re: Starting O-line vs Vikings

Postby Nel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:25 am

I slo-mo'd it as you did and when I saw Simmons getting pushed around I blew chunks. :shock:

Man, he should not be playing. The left side of the line looked okay to me.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby El Nino » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:28 am

agreed kendall simmons fucking sucks balls totally. i don't know how that guy even can make the practice squad, he is downright horrible. we might as well line up with 10 people instead of 11 with him in there

he was the weak link in the o-line last year, and it looks like that won't change this year until he's replaced

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:17 am

Nice post.

Simmons sucks, and worst than that - the fornt office and coaching staff won't admit it.
Problem is who do we have to replace him? Mahan looked just as bad. Everybody else is a big unknown at Guard.

Practice Squad

Postby gumband » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:29 pm

Dare I say...could they experiment with sliding Colon over then slipping Starks @ right tackle????

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:40 pm

gumband wrote:Dare I say...could they experiment with sliding Colon over then slipping Starks @ right tackle????

You could say it, and many here would agree, but it would fall on deaf ears with this coaching staff.

Anyone break down how Stapleton did at Guard? Can he challenge Simmons?

Sounds like an excuse form Tomlin.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3550721

Missing mainstay guard Alan Faneca after 10 standout seasons, the Steelers' offensive line didn't protect very well. Justin Hartwig, fighting Sean Mahan for the job at center, started in the middle.

"When you play a front as talented as they are ... it's going to be tough sledding," Tomlin said.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:18 pm

"When you play a front as talented as they are ... it's going to be tough sledding," Tomlin said.

The excuses made implicitly about Kendall and the line play must emanate from way up the Stillers management chain.

I'd much rather see Tomlin ripping the shoddy play than making excuses for it. This does not bode well at all. Teams will load up against this line weakness and exploit it for some time to come. Our D is going to be on the field for very long stretches.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby lynchcowher » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:23 pm

Simmons can not be allowed to be the starter again this year, same goes for Colon.

If Tomlin continues to horse fuck this team in the ass with these two, he needs to go.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:30 pm

thesteelhammer wrote:Nice post.

Simmons sucks, and worst than that - the fornt office and coaching staff won't admit it.
Problem is who do we have to replace him? Mahan looked just as bad. Everybody else is a big unknown at Guard.

The decision to abandon the #1 draft of an OL in 2008 to soon replace Simmons and instead pick up "talent" such as Mendenhall (because it was available!) could signify the beginning of many years of problems.

So, if the Stillers don't win it all this year, they most likely are screwed.

Practice Squad

Postby papaspudly » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:21 pm

thesteelhammer wrote:
gumband wrote:Dare I say...could they experiment with sliding Colon over then slipping Starks @ right tackle????

You could say it, and many here would agree, but it would fall on deaf ears with this coaching staff.

Anyone break down how Stapleton did at Guard? Can he challenge Simmons?

Sounds like an excuse form Tomlin.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3550721

Missing mainstay guard Alan Faneca after 10 standout seasons, the Steelers' offensive line didn't protect very well. Justin Hartwig, fighting Sean Mahan for the job at center, started in the middle.

I'm not sure who he was matched up against (Leroy Guiton?) but Stapleton played the entire 2nd half vs the Vikings. He looked good on some plays, but didn't get great push in the run game. More impressive was #65 Parquet playing LG in the second half. He looked good in pass-pro and got some push in the run game. I didn't see either one getting out and pulling.

Based on what I saw against backups, I don't think either one will push for starting time this season. Next season maybe...

You know, I hear there might be a player on our team who struggles a bit at RT, but who seems to be a natural fit at RG... and that we have a backup RT who is making more than most of our starters...
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:09 pm

Being at a wedding yesterday, I didn't get to watch the game until today. I saw some of the comments before watching and figured I'd take the Simmons comments with a grain of salt. Wow! He really did suck! One of the tell tale plays happened on the first series when he was thrown to the ground, with one arm, like a rag doll. A 315 lb linemen should never be so off balance to he can be propelled to the ground by a one-arm move. Horrific and it set the tone for the night.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Tomlin needs to identify the teams his line cannot block with the game film and gameplan with the no huddle and shotgun on every play like the pats. Short slants to start then open up if they can.

Tomlins job as a coach is to make this identification before the game , not at halftime when they mite be trailing by 21 points.

And he better not pull the stubborn shit with imposing our will on the other team if that team has a line you cant move! Dont run the ball just to freagin run cause your the stillers and you run so you can play action pass. you payed your qb 100 mil, now let him do what everyone knows he can!

the stillers do not have the line or the backs to impose thier will on probably 50% of the leage, so as a coach tomlin better identify this crap and plan properly!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:39 pm

I'm just going to be short and sweet regarding this thread...

The starting OLine made me sick. If that's what we have to 'look forward to', it may turn out to be a loooong season.

There's too much CONSISTENT pressure on Ben. Hardly any, IF any push on the run... Just piss poor all around.

The line is going to be the X factor regarding the Steelers success or failure this year. I'm pretty confident about that.

Practice Squad

Postby Y-Town Steel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:33 pm

Great post papa :surockin:

In Simmons defense, it's just preseason and Kevin Williams is a genuine badass. I hoping (more like praying) that Simmons was only giving 75% effort and he will step up come Sept 7. I'd still prefer to see Colon slid over to RG, Starks at RT, and Simmons sitting. The whole Starks situation baffles me.

Unfortunately it looks like Ben is still going to get hurried a lot more than we all would like this year. I think with Kemo replacing Faneca and Hartwig replacing Mahan it will be less so than 2007, but he'll still be scrambling. Good thing that $100million sunuvabitch can make great things happen on the run! Go Ben! :sucope:
I'm the mutha-flippin' Rhymenocerous

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:23 pm

Y-Town Steel wrote:Good thing that $100million sunuvabitch can make great things happen on the run! Go Ben! :sucope:

You sure hit that nail on the head, Y-Town. Ben's a miracle worker, but his running for his life most of the time really does scare the heck out of me. I'm just going to try and stay positive about it, and hope for the best.

Practice Squad

Postby Y-Town Steel » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:45 pm

I think we are about to see Benji join Peyton and Brady as an elite NFL qb. As good as he was statistically last season, he can PLAY even better.

We win or lose on Ben's shoulders. Have faith steelerette, and pray to the gods of football that this o-line can keep Ben on the field and out of his sweatsuit (aka Staley's uniform)
I'm the mutha-flippin' Rhymenocerous

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby catesinator » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:31 am

Simmons just proves football is the ultimate team sport. The offense in general might have looked fine against the Vikings, but one guy completely fucked everything up.

I rewatched the Browns playoff game from 2002 and am continually amazed at how shitty Simmons looks even back then. I cannot believe the Steelers resigned him.

It also goes to show you that the Steelers offensive line problems will not go away until this turd is off the roster. You can change centers, tackles and left guard. But if Kendall Simmons is still starting at right guard this offensive line will continue to be mediocre no matter how much money or draft picks are thrown at it.

Return to Stillers Talk