Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Bubble Boys.. AKA Players to watch tonight

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Bubble Boys.. AKA Players to watch tonight

Postby Iron Gut » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:45 pm

When I look at the Steelers and the march towards 53 players, I see some interesting player progressions and competitions.
Tonight, will seal the deal for several players. These are the ones I'm curious about. Any thoughts?

Roy Lewis - Can play corner and safety. Shows a willingness to do anything. If he stays on the team, who gets whacked and at which position? Does this mean goodbye to Lil Evil or William Gay? I would think Carter is on his way out in this case. Or do we hold on to an extra DB and go with one less RB?

Leads to Gary Russell. With Moore and Davis, do you carry Russell? Does the team need 5 Rbs or do we keep an extra DB. Russell will make another roster somewhere.

Willie Reid. Is he our return guy or not? Is Dallas Baker anything more than a pulse? How much do the Steelers like Rucker?
Frankly, I think all 3 of these guys can make the team based on solid returns this week. If nobody steps up, my guess is that Reid wins. What if Drummond shows some burst? Do we essentially go with 4 Wr's? Can Moore be used as a part time wr or even FWP? I think the Drummond angle forces the team to think about a rb acting as a wr during 5 wide formations. Rucker most likley would make to the practice squad, Reid and Baker I think do not.

DLine. Scott Paxson. I think the Roye signing is his ticket to the PS. However, I beleive there is more upside to him than Kirschke or Eason. Is there a chance that they let one of the vets go?

These are the matchups that I find interesting. I can't wait to see how it works out.

Stillers.com Team

Re: Bubble Boys.. AKA Players to watch tonight

Postby Nel » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:25 pm

Iron Gut wrote:When I look at the Steelers and the march towards 53 players, I see some interesting player progressions and competitions.
Tonight, will seal the deal for several players. These are the ones I'm curious about. Any thoughts?

Roy Lewis - Can play corner and safety. Shows a willingness to do anything. If he stays on the team, who gets whacked and at which position? Does this mean goodbye to Lil Evil or William Gay? I would think Carter is on his way out in this case. Or do we hold on to an extra DB and go with one less RB?

I think Roy Lewis stays and Gay might go. I think the team holds onto one extra DB and not an extra RB.

Willie Reid. Is he our return guy or not? Is Dallas Baker anything more than a pulse? How much do the Steelers like Rucker?
Frankly, I think all 3 of these guys can make the team based on solid returns this week. If nobody steps up, my guess is that Reid wins. What if Drummond shows some burst? Do we essentially go with 4 Wr's? Can Moore be used as a part time wr or even FWP? I think the Drummond angle forces the team to think about a rb acting as a wr during 5 wide formations. Rucker most likley would make to the practice squad, Reid and Baker I think do not.

I think Drummond makes the team. He or Reid is probably #1 return man.

DLine. Scott Paxson. I think the Roye signing is his ticket to the PS. However, I beleive there is more upside to him than Kirschke or Eason. Is there a chance that they let one of the vets go?

I think there is a slight chance that one of the vets is let go, and it does depend largely on tonight.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:17 pm

With the first cut just three days away on Aug. 26th to 75 players, and the final cut to 53 only another 4 days after that on Aug. 30th this is a veryGood topic. (kinda covered a little in an older thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=408 )

Prusita seems to think Lews beats our Anthony Madison.
And has us saying goodbye to both Baker and Reid.
I think we keep Baker and lose a LB - either Arnold Harrison or Andre Frazier. Much depends on tonight.

Prisuta & Trib pick their 53 man roster
Agree? Disagree?
They wuss out on naming the punter.
9 LB's? Really? With our other needs?
Their big cuts include Reid, Tony Hill, Nick Eason, and MikeHumpal.
I don't think Reid or Hill would clear waivers to make the practice squad given other teams needs.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... rss&feed=9

Quote:
QB (3): Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich, Dennis Dixon.

Dixon arrived as a long-term project but has played well enough to carve out a spot for himself above and beyond the practice squad. To get him a roster spot, the Steelers are going to have to place Charlie Batch on the injured-reserve list or cut him. Leftwich's presence makes either alternative an option.

RB (5): Willie Parker, Rashard Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore, Carey Davis, Gary Russell. That's been established since Moore was signed as a free agent from Minnesota, and Mendenhall was drafted No. 1 out of Illinois.

TE (3): Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth and Cody Boyd. Boyd almost made it a year ago and is an NFL-ready blocker.

WR (5): Santonio Holmes, Hines Ward, Nate Washington, Limas Sweed, Eddie Drummond. There really isn't a legitimate No. 5 receiver, but Drummond has a chance to contribute on both ends of the kicking game.

OL (9): Marvel Smith, Chris Kemoeatu, Justin Hartwig, Kendall Simmons, Willie Colon, Max Starks, Trai Essex, Sean Mahan, Darnell Stapleton. The list does not include No. 4 pick Tony Hills. Position flexibility affords the Steelers the luxury of relegating to the practice squad a guy they can't yet afford to play.

DL (6): Brett Keisel, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke, Travis Kirschke, Scott Paxson. Nick Eason didn't last as Smith's replacement last season. Paxson doesn't play end, but Hoke could. And Paxson may yet become a factor on kickoffs.

LB (9): LaMarr Woodley, Larry Foote, James Farrior, James Harrison, Lawrence Timmons, Bruce Davis, Keyaron Fox, Arnold Harrison, Andre Frazier. Mike Humpal winds up on the practice squad, for now.

DB (10): Deshea Townsend, Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Bryant McFadden, William Gay, Anthony Smith, Tyrone Carter, Ryan Mundy, Roy Lewis. Lewis edges Anthony Madison because of position flexibility (Lewis plays cornerback and safety) and because Madison isn't a consideration on anything but special teams.

Special Teams (3): Kicker, Jeff Reed; snapper, Greg Warren, and punter, pick one. We'll allow more time for the preseason punt off to resolve itself.

Practice Squad

Postby J & L Steel » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:03 pm

Reid,Baker,Bloom,......dare i say Bruce Davis?

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:05 pm

Reid has to make this team based on how he played against the vikings.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:07 pm

thesteelhammer wrote:Reid has to make this team based on how he played against the vikings.

I sure hope so, hammer. Willie had a really good game tonight. I would really like to see him stick around.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:22 pm

It would suck to be Tony Hills tonight.
On the bubble, and didn't even get in the game. :oops:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:38 pm

Even though I'm glad we were able to see a lot of Byron Leftwich tonight, I'm disappointed we didn't get to see Dennis Dixon at all. I suppose Leftwich needed the time, though, since he is the backup.

Practice Squad

Postby gumband » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:59 pm

Drummond has shown nothing.....................GONE...........................by tuesday

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:19 am

gumband wrote:Drummond has shown nothing.....................GONE...........................by tuesday

Maybe, but it's not all bad.
Carson Palmer heads for locker room with a nose injury during today's pre-season game.

Practice Squad

Postby papaspudly » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:21 am

Willie Reid was our best WR against the Vikings. I think he just made the team on the strength of his play tonight.
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:58 pm

Nel wrote:
gumband wrote:Drummond has shown nothing.....................GONE...........................by tuesday

Maybe, but it's not all bad.
Carson Palmer heads for locker room with a nose injury during today's pre-season game.

That doesn't look good. I really hate to see players injured. Apparently, the Bengals have some offensive line woes, as well.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:49 pm

steelerette wrote:Image
That doesn't look good. I really hate to see players injured. Apparently, the Bengals have some offensive line woes, as well.

And they have Willie Anderson as a back up at RT. :?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Iron Gut » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:49 pm

Based on last night's performance (and entire preseason), I agree that Willie Reid just made the roster and that Drummond is as dead as fried chicken.

I think Anthony Madison still has a real shot at this team based on the special teams play. I think the casualty to keep him will be either a RB or LB.

That said, it depends on the severity of Foote's injury. But i wouldn't want to be Gary Russell right now.

Unless they suprise the hell out of me and cut Madison or Roy Lewis.

Oh yeah, Hills is PS bound.

Return to Stillers Talk