Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » REPORT: STEELERS, FARRIOR CLOSE TO NEW DEAL

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

REPORT: STEELERS, FARRIOR CLOSE TO NEW DEAL

Postby No l Gravity l » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:03 am

Our friends at KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh (actually, we don’t really know them, but they seem nice) report that the Steelers and linebacker James Farrior are close to working out a contract extension.

Farrior is entering the last year of his current deal. He’s due to earn a base salary of $3.24 million in 2008.

The 1997 first-rounder from Virginia spent five seasons with the Jets before joining the Steelers in 2002. He has started all but four regular-season games in his six years with the Steelers.

Per the report, the deal could come as soon as tomorrow, and likely will be hammered out before Saturday’s game against the Vikings.

The Steelers typically don’t negotiate contracts with current players once the regular season opens.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/ ... -new-deal/

Looks like we're keeping Farrior. Good news. Need some veteran experience amongst our young LB's.

Stillers.com Team

Re: REPORT: STEELERS, FARRIOR CLOSE TO NEW DEAL

Postby StillMill » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:09 am

Please.....NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We do not need to extend the 2nd slowest starting ILB in pro football. We all saw Farrior get grossly exposed late last season and in the playoffs, both defending the run and the pass. Unless it's for a pittance of $400K per year, this is outrageous stupidity at its worst.

Practice Squad

Postby BeavisFour » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:31 am

It depends on the $$$. I wouldn't lavish him with big bucks, but he should get a decent deal. He's, so far, stayed healthy. He knows the position.

Although, like Mill said, he does get burned quite a bit.

Practice Squad

Postby stillerinkc » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:49 am

Well, if history is any indication, we are going to SERIOUSLY overpay for him. I am already prepared to puke when I hear the details. The guy didn't make one impact play last season. He's done.

Practice Squad

Postby fadden » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:01 am

stillerinkc wrote:The guy didn't make one impact play last season. He's done.
6.5 sacks, 4 TFL, 1 int, 2 FF, 8 PD,

0 impact plays. got it.

Practice Squad

Postby stillerinkc » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:06 am

Farriors rankings:

Sacks - 9th
FF - 22nd
PD - 11th
Tackles - 47th
INT - 27th

TFL - Couldn't find

Maybe I'm being too hard on him. :suahhbs:

Practice Squad

Postby BeavisFour » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:14 am

stillerinkc wrote:Farriors rankings:

Sacks - 9th
FF - 22nd
PD - 11th
Tackles - 47th
INT - 27th

TFL - Couldn't find

Maybe I'm being too hard on him. :suahhbs:

Sacks and PD not too bad. Although both completely overrated. I think in part to ESPN showing sacks as highlites. Sacks and, for that matter, PD need to be looked at on a more specific scale, such as when and where the sack or PD occured.

For instance, a sack on 1st down with 7 minutes left in 1st quarter in a 0-0 game, isn't as impactful, as say, on 3rd down with 7 minutes left in 4th quarter in a tie game.

Practice Squad

Postby stillerinkc » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:25 am

I get fadden's point. I said "no impact plays", fadden pointed those out. I just think we don't need to be falling all over ourselves to get him signed. I think we can upgrade. If the money is decent, its not a horrible idea. I am just concerned because with recent money given to guys like Foote, Simmons and Starks, I'm just assuming it will be a hideous deal.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:42 am

We don't need every single LB on our team to be a speedy pass rusher. We have Timmons and Woodley for that. James is the fucking Juggernaut so hes pretty much onblockable when he gets momentum. We need a guy that knows how to drop back into coverage or stay in position when in case any RB gets through our weak DL

Practice Squad

Postby fadden » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:17 pm

just to clarify, farrior isn't what he used to be, but when i think of "no impact plays", i visualize clark haggans mugshot.

for comparison, Haggans in '07 (note that OLBs have a much easier time getting sacks than ILBs in our system):

4 sacks,
2 TFL,
0 FF,
0 Ints,
1 PD.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:36 pm

The key to this signing is Farrior's consistency.

Pittsburgh's defensive forte is what? Stopping the run.

Sure, Farrior may be/is suspect in the pass game but when it comes to the run, he's almost always on the ball. At least he excels at what everyone shoves down our throat about Pittsburgh's defense: Stopping the run.

Being CONSISTENT will reap the reward of a big pay day. Ask Ben about that. :yes: ;)

I don't care that he's 33. As I've said in another post, the man takes care of his body and shows up each year in optimal shape. Someone mentioned Junior Seau's longevity. Seau didn't last as long as he did curlin' the twinkies and kickin' his feet up watching Oprah in the off season.

Let's stop pooping on this parade and rejoice that Mr. Farrior is going to be around crackin' skulls for a few more years all the while teaching others to hopefully play... Or just TACKLE... at his level.

Unless he gets hurt. Then it'd be t3h suck.

Return to Stillers Talk