Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Who is our starting Center?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

Who is our starting Center?

Postby California Still » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:05 am

Are there any updates floating around about the Center position? Please advise and thanks.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Who is our starting Center?

Postby Iron Gut » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:56 pm

There has been no official naming of the starter. However, I think even Stevie wonder can see that the job belongs to Hartwig.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:08 pm

I would hope that it is as cut-and-dry easy of a pick as Hartwig. He hasn't shown me anything to believe the job's not his, sans the non-start against the Iggles.

I'm with the "Anyone other than Mahan" crowd. Not planning on giving up my seat anytime soon either.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:17 pm

Iron Gut wrote:However, I think even Stevie wonder can see that the job belongs to Hartwig.

Image :lol:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Iron Gut » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:51 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08233/905527-66.stm

According the the PPG, Hartwig starts Saturday and most likely won the position.

:suxfingers:

Practice Squad

Postby #58 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:23 pm

The starter of the third preseason game usually is the starter in the 1st regular season game. So... Hartwig is my pick. :cheers:

Practice Squad

Postby papaspudly » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:44 pm

Tomlin said more than once that he wanted his offensive line starters to be set by week 3 of the preseason. So if its Hartwig against the Vikings, then I'd write him in ink as the starter.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:11 pm

Hartwig seizes starting center job

Aug. 22, 2008

The Steelers’ search for a starting center is over, the way we hear it. Sources say Justin Hartwig appears to be the winner of a position battle with Sean Mahan and will top the depth chart in Week One of the regular season. Hartwig, who was released by the Panthers after last season, looks like a stronger, bigger option with a better base. Word is he has a sound understanding of the playbook and has gained the faith of OL coach Larry Zierlein. Center was the only position on the O-line in which there was a battle for a starting role, so Pittsburgh finally can move forward with full knowledge of its front five in the remaining weeks before the season opener. While Mahan is relegated to backup duty for now, it might not be for long. Hartwig battled injuries throughout his two-year stint in Carolina, appearing in just 17 games.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+North/Pittsburgh/WWHI/2008/wwhi082208.htm

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:16 pm

The stronger, bigger option with a better base says it all, the rest of the article is pillow stuffing.

I say ... yeah! :cheers:

Return to Stillers Talk