Board index » Stillers Talk » Prisuta & Trib pick their 53 man roster

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Prisuta & Trib pick their 53 man roster

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:31 am

Agree? Disagree?
They wuss out on naming the punter.
9 LB's? Really? With our other needs?
Their big cuts include Reid, Tony Hill, Nick Eason, and MikeHumpal.
I don't think Reid or Hill would clear waivers to make the practice squad given other teams needs.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_583331.html?source=rss&feed=9

QB (3): Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich, Dennis Dixon.

Dixon arrived as a long-term project but has played well enough to carve out a spot for himself above and beyond the practice squad. To get him a roster spot, the Steelers are going to have to place Charlie Batch on the injured-reserve list or cut him. Leftwich's presence makes either alternative an option.

RB (5): Willie Parker, Rashard Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore, Carey Davis, Gary Russell. That's been established since Moore was signed as a free agent from Minnesota, and Mendenhall was drafted No. 1 out of Illinois.

TE (3): Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth and Cody Boyd. Boyd almost made it a year ago and is an NFL-ready blocker.

WR (5): Santonio Holmes, Hines Ward, Nate Washington, Limas Sweed, Eddie Drummond. There really isn't a legitimate No. 5 receiver, but Drummond has a chance to contribute on both ends of the kicking game.

OL (9): Marvel Smith, Chris Kemoeatu, Justin Hartwig, Kendall Simmons, Willie Colon, Max Starks, Trai Essex, Sean Mahan, Darnell Stapleton. The list does not include No. 4 pick Tony Hills. Position flexibility affords the Steelers the luxury of relegating to the practice squad a guy they can't yet afford to play.

DL (6): Brett Keisel, Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, Chris Hoke, Travis Kirschke, Scott Paxson. Nick Eason didn't last as Smith's replacement last season. Paxson doesn't play end, but Hoke could. And Paxson may yet become a factor on kickoffs.

LB (9): LaMarr Woodley, Larry Foote, James Farrior, James Harrison, Lawrence Timmons, Bruce Davis, Keyaron Fox, Arnold Harrison, Andre Frazier. Mike Humpal winds up on the practice squad, for now.

DB (10): Deshea Townsend, Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Bryant McFadden, William Gay, Anthony Smith, Tyrone Carter, Ryan Mundy, Roy Lewis. Lewis edges Anthony Madison because of position flexibility (Lewis plays cornerback and safety) and because Madison isn't a consideration on anything but special teams.

Special Teams (3): Kicker, Jeff Reed; snapper, Greg Warren, and punter, pick one. We'll allow more time for the preseason punt off to resolve itself.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Prisuta & Trib pick their 53 man roster

Postby Iron Gut » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:02 am

I agree for the most part. I don't know about Eddie Drummond. I still think it is Reid's job to lose. That said, I wouldn't be shocked that the team doesn't find a retun man after the final cuts coming up and says "see ya" to both Reid and Drummond.
I expect Baker to go to the PS.

As for the punter, Berger looks to be the better choice.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:09 pm

Willie Reid is too inconsistent and makes me nervous. There are times when it seems he can do great things, and other times when he makes the stupidest mistakes. The jury is still out on him as far as I'm concerned.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Nashsteeler » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:10 pm

Do the Steelers run the rish of somoene else signing Hills if he is relegated to the practice squad? Hate to see that happen. Guy is a bit of a project, but seems to have the physical tools to play tackle at this level.

Practice Squad

Postby BeavisFour » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:38 am

OL is bad. :no:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Iron Gut » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:26 pm

BeavisFour wrote:OL is bad. :no:

I can't really go there yet. So far, they have actually looked better than last year. Hartwig is a definite upgrade and Smith looks healthy.

Yes, Colon is still having trouble with speedrushers and Simmons is inconsistent, but I was shocked at the fact that Kemo has done a fine job. Overall, they do look appear to be better. Then again, they are facing vanilla defenses. However, don't give up on this group yet. If they can get Colon to be more consistent against speedrushers, this line will be just fine.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:52 pm

I agree with Iron Gut's assessment of the OL. Kemo seems to be a pleasant surprise, so that's great.

Practice Squad

Postby papaspudly » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:13 pm

I've got Reid over Drummond, Humphal over Frazier (down goes Frazier... down goes Frazier...), Sherrod over Boyd, and Madison over Lewis.

I also keep Hills at the expense of A. Harrison. I just don't think Hills will clear waivers to get to the practice squad, and we need to hang on to a young OT. Timmons' versatility allows us to go with one less LB.
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert

Practice Squad

Postby Todd » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:18 pm

you gotta love Prisuta. The same guy who said Russ Grimm had signed a deal to be the Steelers new coach is picking a guy who is having shoulder surgery to be our #3 TE for the season opener.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:52 pm

Humpal and Hills have shoulder injuries. Or maybe it's knee injuries.

They don't know it yet, and haven't been told. But the injuries will manifest themselves right before the final cuts.

If these two guys don't make the team, they're gonna get medical redshirts and their ailments will be miraculously cured when someone else goes down or when it becomes clear they're ready.

Especially Hills. These guys aren't going anywhere. No yet. No way. Not on a team with such weaknesses on the OL and special teams. :surockin:

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby sarka196 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:19 pm

Steelers Place P Daniel Sepulveda on Reserve/Injured List;
Make Three Additional Roster Moves

PITTSBURGH ― The Steelers placed punter Daniel Sepulveda on the Reserve/Injured List and made three other roster moves, the team announced today, bringing the team’s total number of players to 77 players (one international practice squad player).

Sepulveda (6-3, 230) injured his knee prior to the team’s first preseason game and had season-ending surgery the following week. The Steelers’ first of two fourth-round draft picks (112th overall) in the 2007 NFL Draft, Sepulveda was the recipient of the Joe Greene Great Performance Award as a rookie, given annually to the team’s top rookie after averaging 44.3 yards per punt last season.

Additionally, the Steelers released quarterback Mike Potts, wide receiver Jeremy Bloom and defensive lineman Martavius Prince.

The Steelers currently have 77 players on their roster due to the exemption of wide receiver Marvin Allen, who will be a member of the team’s practice squad this year as part of the NFL’s international player development program. The Steelers must make one more roster move prior to tomorrow’s 4 p.m. ET deadline to meet the NFL’s maximum roster limit.

http://news.steelers.com/article/94109/
Marines should come with warning labels.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby sarka196 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:59 am

http://news.steelers.com/article/94196/

Steelers Waive Tight End Cody Boyd

PITTSBURGH ― The Steelers placed tight end Cody Boyd on the Waived/Injured List, the team announced today. The release of Boyd brings the team’s roster to the NFL maximum of 76 players, including one international practice squad player.

Boyd (6-8, 264) was originally signed by the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in May of 2007. He was released by the team and spent a portion of the 2007 season on the Washington Redskins active roster and practice squad. Boyd was re-signed earlier this year by the Steelers.

The Steelers currently have 76 players on their roster due to the exemption of wide receiver Marvin Allen, who will be a member of the team’s practice squad this year as part of the NFL’s international player development program.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:49 pm

Steelers Waive Tight End Cody Boyd

PITTSBURGH ― The Steelers placed tight end Cody Boyd on the Waived/Injured List, the team announced today. The release of Boyd brings the team’s roster to the NFL maximum of 76 players, including one international practice squad player.

Boyd (6-8, 264) was originally signed by the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in May of 2007. He was released by the team and spent a portion of the 2007 season on the Washington Redskins active roster and practice squad. Boyd was re-signed earlier this year by the Steelers.

papaspudly wrote:I've got ... Sherrod over Boyd...

Good call, Puddly... :surockin:
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby sarka196 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:52 pm

Also, Arnold Harrison has looked good during the preseason. He should make the team over Frazier or Humphal (who has yet to see the field).

Return to Stillers Talk