Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Holmes to return punt.

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers

Stillers.com Team

Re: Holmes to return punt.

Postby trenches » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:52 am

I don't have a problem with it. Holmes is a no nonsense type of returner that generally takes what he's given. He's not Devin Hester but he's not typically going to lose yards trying to invent a big play either. Putting any starter on special teams could result in injury but then again any player could be injured on any given play. I'm willing to roll with the coach's instincts on this one...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:14 am

trenches wrote:I don't have a problem with it. Holmes is a no nonsense type of returner that generally takes what he's given. He's not Devin Hester but he's not typically going to lose yards trying to invent a big play either. Putting any starter on special teams could result in injury but then again any player could be injured on any given play. I'm willing to roll with the coach's instincts on this one...

Eh? He like fumbled 5 times in '05 trying to return :no:

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:39 am

Gravity,

He's not exactly Richard Huntley. He has some fumble issues as a rookie (he was a rookie in '06 not '05, BTW) and that can be cured. He also had a solid return average in '06. If he starts fumbling again just take him off of return duties. Maybe since Ben had a sub-standard '06 season we should have started Batch last year?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Iron Gut » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:56 am

I don't beleive that he will have the fumble issues from his rookie year. That said, Santonio has the potential to be a game breaker as a wideout and I do not like risking his health for punt returns. :sucrutches:

All they need is someone who can actually catch the friggin' ball. Who knows, maybe they can pick someone up around final cut time.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:01 am

How many guys have they brought in to do this job?
Seems like our scouting department needs soem new blood.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:13 am

If Drummond makes the team it will be because of special teams capabilities and he will get the majority of the return duties. Tomlin's statement indicates that Santonio would be used in certain situations... I don't have a problem with that at all.

That being said, I don't necessary want him returning all punts since that increases the risk of injury. I don't mind if he's being used to try and spark the offense or the team in general.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:15 pm

trenches wrote:Gravity,

He's not exactly Richard Huntley. He has some fumble issues as a rookie (he was a rookie in '06 not '05, BTW) and that can be cured. He also had a solid return average in '06. If he starts fumbling again just take him off of return duties. Maybe since Ben had a sub-standard '06 season we should have started Batch last year?

Oh shit I didn't know that Santonio was recovering from a motorcycle accident his rookie year :P

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:21 pm

Gravity,

I didn't know rookies started out of the gate as HOF performers without making mistakes! :P

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:54 pm

The Stillers D appears to be playing softer. Sepulveda is gone. The punt return game has been weak for a few years.

It's time to take some risks. I have wanted this one taken by Tomlin for a while and I am glad it is now getting a look. Remember, Sweed will be there to give Santonio a little breather after a punt return.

A few good punt returns in a game can compensate for some mistakes or poor play in other phases of the game. The Steelers do not have anyone else "pushing the envelope" in punt returns. This move will probably make opponents spend practice time game planning for it, which is a big plus. It will add field position and perhaps points.

Overall, I say :suplusone:

I am not worried about the injury factor.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:58 pm

trenches wrote:Gravity,

I didn't know rookies started out of the gate as HOF performers without making mistakes! :P

hmm...BEN? :subngtowl:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby SteelCityFan » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:41 pm

Holmes will be our big play receiver this year. I don't think it's such a good idea to have him returning punts. I don't think Drummond has been given enough chances in pre-season yet to make an informed decision on his abilities. I'd like to see Drummond get some more touches before we risk our biggest offensive weapon on punt returns.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby The Fan Of STEEL » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:34 pm

I'm not crazy about this at all. We have Moore, Reid, Bloom, Mendenhall... and others that can do this. We don't want one of the best recievers out there for this.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:53 pm

Nel wrote:This move will probably make opponents spend practice time game planning for it, which is a big plus.

This is exactly what I'm worried about adding to the injury factor, but Holmes seems to be into it, so we will see how it goes Saturday night. I'm not convinced it's a good move, though.

Practice Squad

Postby BeavisFour » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:44 pm

I've never been a fan of any starter being on special teams. Holmes is no exception, but especially considering he's our go to WR now. I know Ward may still be #1 on the depth chart, but that's quickly changing. If it hasn't already.

Also, shouldn't we be a bit more concerned on the coverage in special teams? It seems the last 10 years or so, I'm scared every single kickoff and punt is gonna get returned for a TD.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby UKBlackNGold » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:41 pm

No way should Holmes be returning punts, he's far too precious!

Bring back Coke and his amazing catching helmet, now that would add excitement to our return game!!

:D

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:25 pm

Anyone have a link to statistics regarding the injury risk of returning punts in the NFL?

Thanks.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:32 pm

I am just concerned that Will Blackwell... errrr.... I mean Nate Washington is saved from return duties. His supreme athleticism and consistency are critical to team success.

:wow:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:31 am

This is exactly what I'm worried about adding to the injury factor

This is always a concern when you're talking about a starter taking a skill roll on the special teams.

Anyone have a link to statistics regarding the injury risk of returning punts in the NFL?

The fact of the matter for me is, I can't really recall any kick returners getting hurt in recent years. It seems that those that get hurt are more on the gunner side of things.

Sure we don't want our golden ball-catching, field scorching goose to get hurt... But with his hands and speed in the open field, I don't think injury is enough of a concern for me to not like the idea. The only thing that could be bad about it is... The law of averages. If our defense kicks the proverbial ass all year long, there will be more opportunities for injury.

Drummond showed he still has some speed left in him and he certainly isn't fumble-prone to my knowledge. Why not alternate the two...? Give 'em some split duty?

Thoughts?

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:40 am

"Drummond showed he still has some speed left in him and he certainly isn't fumble-prone to my knowledge. Why not alternate the two...? Give 'em some split duty?"

I think that is exactly what Tomlin is thinking about, good call.

Next

Return to Stillers Talk