Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Dennis Dixon

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Dennis Dixon

Postby DirtDawson » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi guys, i'm new to this forum, although i've been a reader of stillers.com for the past 3 seasons, finally found the initiative to come on the boards.

So I'm actually from the west coast, and have been an avid follower of Pac-10 football since going to school at Cal.

The mystery of Dennis Dixon's drop in draft stock is as unexplainable as Kyle Boller's assent into a first round draft choice.

I followed Kyle Boller throughout his entire career at Cal, and when the Ravens drafted him in the first round, I smiled at the assurance of such a bonehead stupid mistake. It seems like even Draft Scouts never realized that Kyle Boller wasn't the reason for Cal's turnaround in College football, it was the hiring of Jeff Tedford, the offensive mind credited with the development of Joey Harrington at Oregon.

Anyways, I digress.

Watching Dennis Dixon play in college this past year, he was easily the most well rounded, talented QB in the Heisman Running. Even though his previous seasons weren't anything markable, he had truely blossomed his senior year, just look at his gameday stats against ranked BCS teams.

It's almost astounding how a single injury (albeit, an ACL tear) could drop the Heisman favorite into a 6th round draft pick.

Now I know, ACL tears are a huge concern in a player's ability to recover. But at Dixon's age, and with the microsurgeries performed nowadays, it's hard to just dismiss any future promise of success in the NFL.

In fact, if it wasn't for his ACL tear, he would have most likely won the Heisman, and entered the draft, EASILY as the highest ranked QB and a definite 1st round pick.

The reason i bring up Kyle Boller is because it exemplifies alot of the nonsense and stupidity that comes with NFL Scouts' overzealousness. Kyle Boller throwing a ball across the field on his knees somehow magically erases the memory of his 1-10 season debut as the starter for Cal. And Dixon's ACL tear (which he's fully recovered from) erases the memory of the most talented QB in the nation last year.

This may very well be the biggest draft steal of the year, something that can't be proven for several years.

But even watching him in the Preseason and how he manages the games, shows me he hasn't missed a step since college.

Look how he did against the Bills. He gave the team every chance to comeback. And if it wasn't for the dropped balls and slipped routs by Reid and Sweed, along with the second stupid 12-man penalty (wtf Tomlin), Dixon's stats and overall assessment would've been much better.

make no mistakes people, he ain't no Tee Martin. ;)

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Dennis Dixon

Postby steelerette » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi, Dirt, welcome to stillers.com. :)

I agree with your assessment of Dennis Dixon. Too bad Micah Rucker didn't catch that Hail Mary pass in the end zone (ooof!).

I would really like to see Dixon get some more playing time during the pre-season, and I hope he's around for the long haul.

Practice Squad

Postby J & L Steel » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:24 pm

You're right Dirt. His stock fell further than most thought it would. My take?

He played in a junk,college spread offense. Qb's in those types of systems rarely succeed in the NFL. Ware? Klingler? Chang? Omar Jacobs? :o

He has a very low,funky release. Almost looks like he's shotputting the football. Not prototypical.

He had a severe knee injury. Maybe scouts didn't think he would heal properly. Not sure.

Do i think he'll be a starting NFL qb? Not sure-i'm thinking Kordell Stewart....take that for what it's worth. Do i believe he can develop into a spot starter/backup who would be needed in a pinch? Certainly. But not this year. He's still very raw.
Last edited by J & L Steel on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby WoodsonOfSteel » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:32 pm

Welcome DirtDawson!

And greetings to everyone else. I too have been an avid Stillers.com Message Board reader (This is year 4 for me) but have really never posted with any frequency. As a matter of fact, I really never posted much at all in that time. I did create a couple of accounts with maybe 1 or two posts each before and during the lil 'alias war' back when, but I always identified myself as someone that's never been around in the posting world; only in the lurking. That out of the way...

Dennis Dixon's performance has been pretty bitter-sweet to me mainly because of factors that aren't attributed to him.
And if it wasn't for the dropped balls and slipped routs by Reid and Sweed, along with the second stupid 12-man penalty

One thing that I really like about him (other than the obvious 'speed' ability) is his quick release. The kid certainly has a nice pop on the ball comin' out. Something that I have noticed not only recently, but in past years, is over-throwing receivers in the world of (I'm no Rush Limbaugh) black quarterbacks. (Michael Vick anyone? Byron Leftwich?) Now... I'm not saying it's a pattern... I'm just saying Dennis Dixon doesn't seem to be plagued by this. His location is a lot better than 15 yards past the intended receiver.

He certainly shows himself to be a rookie, but what a composed rookie he is. As Dawson said:

Look how he did against the Bills. He gave the team every chance to comeback. ... Dixon's stats and overall assessment would've been much better.

He did everything he could to win the game for the Steelers, right down to throwing a perfect jumpball at the end of the game.

Now... I'm not saying he's the second-coming of Randall Cunningham... But, to quote Dawson again:

he ain't no Tee Martin. ;)
Roll Tide!!!

Sure it was only a preseason game, but Dennis Dixon showed us all he's fighting for a roster spot and has the ability to be a playmaker in this league.

ACL or not... He got my attention again. He may not be starting-quarterback caliber, but he's certainly going to be a valueable athelete on someone's roster for years to come.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby DirtDawson » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:20 pm

J & L Steel wrote:You're right Dirt. His stock fell further than most thought it would. My take?

He played in a junk,college spread offense. Qb's in those types of systems rarely succeed in the NFL. Ware? Klingler? Chang? Omar Jacobs? :o

He has a very low,funky release. Almost looks like he's shotputting the football. Not prototypical.

He had a severe knee injury. Maybe scouts didn't think he would heal properly. Not sure.

Do i think he'll be a starting NFL qb? Not sure-i'm thinking Kordell Stewart....take that for what it's worth. Do i believe he can develop into a spot starter/backup who would be needed in a pinch? Certainly. But not this year. He's still very raw.

If anything, it will be an entertaining player to have as a backup QB.

he could very well live up to his potential, which was definitely not a 6th rounder.

I also consider him a solid passer, considerably better than Stewy in his hayday.

add to that, his physical capabilities, a tad bit better than Omar Jacobs.

Time will tell

Practice Squad

Postby J & L Steel » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:26 pm

DirtDawson wrote:
J & L Steel wrote:You're right Dirt. His stock fell further than most thought it would. My take?

If anything, it will be an entertaining player to have as a backup QB.

he could very well live up to his potential, which was definitely not a 6th rounder.

I also consider him a solid passer, considerably better than Stewy in his hayday.

add to that, his physical capabilities, a tad bit better than Omar Jacobs.

Time will tell

Don't get me wrong,i like DD and truly do hope he succeeds. I was one of the few that actually liked his pick in the 5th. I mean though i think Oregon runs a junk type of O,it is very fun to watch and Dixon was fantastic running it. That said yes,he is better than Jacobs. Funny thing is,i actually thought Jacobs had a good pre season before he got cut. I hope the Steelers keep DD and don't attempt to put him on the PS. No doubt a team will snatch him up quickly.

Return to Stillers Talk