Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Yahoo Sports Blasts Culpepper

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Yahoo Sports Blasts Culpepper

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:54 pm

Cousin Eddie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner

Monday, Aug 11, 2008 9:30 am EDT

Daunte Culpepper still has lofty career goals
By MJD

When Steelers backup Charlie Batch's collarbone went "snap" in the Steelers first preseason game, the team immediately brought in Byron Leftwich and Daunte Culpepper to audition for the spot on the depth chart behind Ben Roethlisberger.

Both men were said to be impressive in their workouts, but it was Leftwich who got the contract. Why? John Clayton says it's because Culpepper's holding out for a starting gig:

The reason the Steelers picked Leftwich over Culpepper is because Leftwich felt more comfortable with the role the Steelers were offering. Ben Roethlisberger is the starter and Batch is expected to be the backup when he gets healthy again. Culpepper was hoping for a chance to compete for a starting job.

You know who that reminds me of? Clark Griswold's cousin Eddie. There was nothing between the ground and his brain but a piece of government plastic, and every time Catherine turned the microwave on, he'd urinate on himself and forget who he was for a half an hour.

And he wasn't employed because, as his wife explained, he was "holding out for a management position."

I don't know, Cousin Daunte. Call me crazy, but maybe the fact that you're still a free agent on August 11th should be a hint that no one's going to bring you in as a starter. That's an educated guess.

Now, maybe some team should. No doubt, there are a lot of quarterbacks out there who have NFL jobs that are worse than you. The Dolphins alone have at least two.

But for the sake of your career, it might be time to suck it up, realize that you're not going to get a starting gig in '08, and jump at the next roster spot available. Because if you're unsatisfied with the job market now, wait until '09 and see how it works out for you when you've got the same résumé you do now, but you've also been out of the game for a year.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Yahoo Sports Blasts Culpepper

Postby steelerette » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:59 am

Greenhorned Rookie

Re: Yahoo Sports Blasts Culpepper

Postby stillDrink » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:28 am

I'd wager that Culpepper will start at least 1 game these season. Some team will lose their starting QB and Culpepper's phone will ring.

Return to Stillers Talk