Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Leftwich to arrive in Pittsburgh today for workout

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Leftwich to arrive in Pittsburgh today for workout

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:05 am

Thoughts on Leftwich
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08222/903126-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Broken collarbone puts QB Batch out indefinitely
Preseason Game One: Steelers 16, Eagles 10
Saturday, August 09, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

Steelers backup quarterback Charlie Batch walks off the field with an injury later identified as a fractured collarbone.Ben Roethlisberger, Willie Parker and the offense -- yes, even the maligned line -- made it look easy last night and then quickly disappeared as the Steelers opened their preseason with a 16-10 victory against the Philadelphia Eagles at Heinz Field.

Unfortunately for the Steelers, so, too, did backup quarterback Charlie Batch, who departed in the second quarter with a broken right collarbone. Batch likely will miss 4-6 weeks, coach Mike Tomlin said, and the Steelers will try to sign a veteran backup.

Byron Leftwich, a former starter for the Jacksonville Jaguars and Atlanta Falcons, is scheduled to arrive in Pittsburgh for a workout today and possibly sign with the Steelers. Atlanta released Leftwich, 28, in February.

Jeff Reed kicked two of his three field goals in the fourth quarter, including one of 50 yards, to break a tie and propel the Steelers to the victory.

"I thought our first offense was sharp coming out of the gate," Tomlin said. "That was important to us."

Roethlisberger smartly took his team 80 yards on the opening drive that ended with a 19-yard touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes.

His job done for the night, the quarterback retired to the sideline as did halfback Willie Parker, who ran three times on that drive for 20 yards. The entire first-team offense left the game after the second series, and the backups played the rest of the game.

"It was important we got Willie Parker going and got him some looks early," Tomlin said.

The performance was overshadowed by the injury to Batch, who has been the No. 2 quarterback since 2005 after signing as a free agent in 2002. He was hurt after a busted play in the second quarter prompted him to carry the ball and lower his shoulder as he was tackled.

"There was a miscommunication between he and Mewelde Moore," Tomlin said. "The reality is he ended up with the football, tried to make the best of a bad situation, made a nice play. The competitor in him probably got the best of him, and he lowered his shoulder."

Rookie quarterback Dennis Dixon replaced Batch and played into the fourth quarter, leaving in favor of rookie Mike Potts with 10:17 left. Dixon completed six of nine passes for 30 yards and had a 41-yard completion nullified by a holding penalty. He led the Steelers on the drive that broke a 10-10 tie when Reed kicked a 24-yard field goal in the fourth quarter.

"I thought Dennis Dixon came in and did some nice things," Tomlin said.

Roethlisberger, whose 32 touchdown passes last season broke Terry Bradshaw's team record, completed both his passes for a total of 38 yards and had plenty of time to throw behind an offensive line minus seven-time Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca.

"I think it was awesome that the offensive line did a great job of run-blocking," Roethlisberger said. "The running backs ran well. We threw two passes, and they protected very well. I think it was a good first drive for us."

Rookie Rashard Mendenhall, who gained 15 yards on one nice run in the second quarter, picked up seven yards on his first carry as the Steelers smoothly moved through the Eagles in that opening drive. Their only third-down play was their last, from the Philadelphia 19.

With the Eagles blitzing, Roethlisberger threw quickly to Holmes near the line of scrimmage on the left side. Holmes faked safety Brian Dawkins, then sped around him to polish off his scoring catch.

"It was a sight adjust," Roethlisberger explained. "We were on the same page. I got it to him, and he made it to the end zone."

Holmes, who led all NFL receivers last season with an average of 18.2 yards a catch, wants to top his touchdown total of eight from last season. He believes the mixture of running and passing on that efficient first drive was a window to the future.

"It was a big statement about what our offense is going to look like in the games to come," Holmes said. "It just showed that we were working hard together throughout the whole off-season, and now we're finally getting on the same page."

Parker's goal was to prove to everyone, including himself, that his right fibula, broken in the 15th game last season while he was the league's leading rusher, has fully healed. He seemed to do that last night.

"It was big for me personally," Parker said, "getting on that field and running and getting everything all back. It's just like a dream come true. I've been thinking about this for a long time."

Parker also gave his line credit for its run-blocking.

"They were really working hard out there and going and getting it. We've all been in training camp for so long. Our defense knows what we're going to do. It feels like we were staying the same, not moving. We weren't going forward or backward.

"Out here, we were moving a little bit, going forward."

Mendenhall benefited from that as well with 34 yards rushing on seven carries, all in the first half.

"We wanted to get Mendenhall a few totes and see what he was capable of," Tomlin said.

The Eagles scored on David Akers' 28-yard field goal late in the first quarter. Philadelphia took the lead early in the second quarter on Donovan McNabb's third-down, three-yard pass to Jason Davis. The Eagles stayed with their first-team offense while the Steelers deployed their second-team defense on that drive.

Reed tied it, 10-10, with a 20-yard field goal late in the second quarter. He broke the tie with a 24-yard kick, giving the Steelers a 13-10 lead with 12 minutes left. His 50-yarder came with 7:28 left.

Practice Squad

Re: Leftwich to arrive in Pittsburgh today for workout

Postby bopper » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:58 pm

I hope he fails his physical. I'm calling for Tommy Gun as the veteran backup. 8-)

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:32 pm

bopper wrote:I hope he fails his physical. I'm calling for Tommy Gun as the veteran backup. 8-)

I hope that was not a serious comment. Leftwich is probably as close to perfect as the Stillers can get, without giving up a draft pick or a current player, and Tommy Gun would be a disaster, in my opinion.

I think the Stillers should consider trading for Kurt Warner or Kerry Collins. I don't think Batch can really play at this stage in his career. I would consider trading Nate Washington or Troy Polamalu for a quality backup, while they are still worth something.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby steelerette » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:01 pm

Best wishes to Charlie Batch for a speedy recovery.

No, no, not Tommy Gun, and not Kordell! :x

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:26 pm

Damn you beat me too it! Always on top of things hammer :lol: Delete mine!

Practice Squad

Postby benstunner » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:10 pm

So Batch gets hurt and now he can't play any more?

The guy is still a solid backup QB. Last year his #s weren't great but it was all vs Baltimore and most QBs dont put up good #s vs them.

Batch is a fine backup. If we can get Leftwich for a cheap 1 year deal or something and go from there then that's cool but Batch is not going anywhere.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:32 pm

Batch sucks, his pop gun tosses like the one to homles yesterday would get someone hurt if he had to play for an exstended period of time.He did the same crap last yr in cincy, hanging recievers out to dry!

The stillers need a player who can actually go out and win several games if he's on, like a kurt warner. I would much rather have a hit or miss guy , then a charlie batch type who is never real good nor never to bad....just kinda there going throught the motions
With this yr's schedule you need a guy who is capable of lightening in a bottle for 3 weeks because this entire team is now built around the passing game putting alot of points on the board especially with this rediculous schedule of high potent offenses the steelers will be facing in the second half of the season.

Stillers brought batch in when this was a running team that threw just to keep a defense honest, he is not cut out for a high octane passing offense!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:59 pm

darthsteel wrote:Batch sucks, his pop gun tosses like the one to homles yesterday would get someone hurt if he had to play for an exstended period of time.He did the same crap last yr in cincy, hanging recievers out to dry!

The stillers need a player who can actually go out and win several games if he's on, like a kurt warner. I would much rather have a hit or miss guy , then a charlie batch type who is never real good nor never to bad....just kinda there going throught the motions
With this yr's schedule you need a guy who is capable of lightening in a bottle for 3 weeks because this entire team is now built around the passing game putting alot of points on the board especially with this rediculous schedule of high potent offenses the steelers will be facing in the second half of the season.

Stillers brought batch in when this was a running team that threw just to keep a defense honest, he is not cut out for a high octane passing offense!

Exactly! Am I the only one that sees Batch is not what everyone makes him out to be. Hes not who he says he is :lol:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby El Nino » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:12 pm

If he's out 4-6 weeks why is it such a big deal? he'll be ready by the 3rd week of the season. Batch isn't perfect but for a backup QB I'll take him over that ex-jagoff

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby TheOldRanger » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:09 pm

I was drinking at a bar with a bunch of my jagoff buddies some years ago, half-watching a Marshall U. football game on the TV...it was the game in which Leftwich broke a bone in his leg, but stayed on the field...his linemen carried him to the next huddle after every play. I remember thinking, "that kid is one tough son of a bitch." Let's give him the shot to backup Ben if he passes the physical. I, too, am not all that impressed with Batch.

Hey, if all else fails, I'm sure that Testaverde is waiting by the phone!

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Iron Gut » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:43 pm

Nel wrote:
bopper wrote:I hope he fails his physical. I'm calling for Tommy Gun as the veteran backup. 8-)

I hope that was not a serious comment. Leftwich is probably as close to perfect as the Stillers can get, without giving up a draft pick or a current player, and Tommy Gun would be a disaster, in my opinion.

I think the Stillers should consider trading for Kurt Warner or Kerry Collins. I don't think Batch can really play at this stage in his career. I would consider trading Nate Washington or Troy Polamalu for a quality backup, while they are still worth something.

Trade Polamalu for a Backup QB? Are you drinking moonshine or smoking weed? Either way, that has to be one of the craziest ideas I've read on here in a while. If the Steelers were to deal Troy (which they are not currently looking to do) they would certainly get more than a journeyman backup QB. Oh yeah, Nate shouldn't be bait yet either until we know for sure we got a solid #3 in Sweed.

Practice Squad

Postby benstunner » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:02 pm

If anyone really thinks we should trade Troy for a backup QB they are smoking crack.

And I stand by that Batch is a solid backup QB. I wouldn't mind Leftwich if he is healthy though and is willing to be just a backup QB because he has no chance of starting here.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:15 pm

Iron Gut wrote:
Nel wrote:

Trade Polamalu for a Backup QB? Are you drinking moonshine or smoking weed? Either way, that has to be one of the craziest ideas I've read on here in a while. If the Steelers were to deal Troy (which they are not currently looking to do) they would certainly get more than a journeyman backup QB. Oh yeah, Nate shouldn't be bait yet either until we know for sure we got a solid #3 in Sweed.

Yes, a straight-up trade with Troy for a solid backup QB would be crazy. Did I say that? No. I do not drink alcohol or smoke weed, btw.

Troy has been playing weak and his tackling style opens him up to injury. I think a good backup QB plus a draft choice has more value than Troy provides.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Iron Gut » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:15 pm

Regardless of what was said (and it read as if you were pimping Troy for a backup), Leftwich is the best current option for the Steelers.

#1 He is available without having to give up anything
#2 He will not be looking for huge $$$
#3 He knows that Big Ben is king and he is merely insurance

I agree that Warner or Collins may be a better QB but cap room plus other constaints make this an option that is not very palatable. Who knows, maybe they will find an Arena League stud! :D (just kidding)

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby ibleedBLACKandGOLD81 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:48 pm

Trade for Josh McCown

Return to Stillers Talk