Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Favre traded to jets

Postby thesteelhammer » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:33 am

just heard it on the morning news.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Favre traded to jets

Postby Crosby4Life » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:33 am

I currently live in Hattiesburg, MS (Favre's hometown for those of you living in a cave over the past year). While everyone down here seems to genuinely love Favre, and maybe even moreso, his wife, there is a legitimate chance of somebody snapping over the amount of overexposure he's been getting.

As for the impact Favre will have on the Jets, I suppose this could potentially make them a fringe playoff team, but I really don't see them as being a threat. I really didn't think this trade made alot sense for the Jets. They're a year or two or way from legitimately competing and you'd have to assume Favre will only play for one year, maybe two. So why not use that time to finally find your long term solution for the long haul?

Personally, I think the Packers are idiots for not trading him to the Vikings. Yes, there would have been some potential PR backlash for trading him to a division rival. But with Rodgers being in his first year running the ship, the Pack probably weren't winning anything anyways during Favre's tenure in Minnesota. So why not give the Vikes their shot this year, and strip them of draft picks in the following years. The Vikes are alot closer to competing, and likely would have given up more for Favre, both helping the Pack and hurting the Vikes simultaneously.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Crosby4Life » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:17 pm

A coworker and I are were talking about a scenario that I'd love to see play out (although it's extremely unlikely). After the Jets signed Favre, they released Pennington. What if Pennington went to the Vikings and led them to the Super Bowl?

Wouldn't that be poetic justice? The Packers helped create the circus by refusing to give Favre to the Vikings for fear of giving them what they needed to go all the way. So what if trading him to the Jets did exactly that?

I think Pennington would actually be a decent fit for the Vikes. They just need someone who can hand off to Peterson and be careful with the ball, things Pennington could probably handle quite well.

Again, I don't expect to happen, mainly because I don't think the Vikings would consider Pennington a large enough upgrade of Jackson to justify the signing, but it'd be a very interesting scenario.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby GodfatherofSoul » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:23 pm

Crosby4Life wrote:A coworker and I are were talking about a scenario that I'd love to see play out (although it's extremely unlikely). After the Jets signed Favre, they released Pennington. What if Pennington went to the Vikings and led them to the Super Bowl?

For that to happen, Pennington would have to make it through an entire season without getting hurt.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Crosby4Life » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:27 pm

GodfatherofSoul wrote:
Crosby4Life wrote:A coworker and I are were talking about a scenario that I'd love to see play out (although it's extremely unlikely). After the Jets signed Favre, they released Pennington. What if Pennington went to the Vikings and led them to the Super Bowl?

For that to happen, Pennington would have to make it through an entire season without getting hurt.

That's definitely another factor I did forget to mention. I had to giggle a little bit when I went to espn.com a little while ago and saw an article with a sidebar that mentioned the Vikings as a potential suitor for Pennington.

In the words of Mr. Burns: Eeeeeexxxxxxccccceeeellleeeennnnnnttt...

Return to Stillers Talk