Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Injury updates

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Injury updates

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:23 pm

Casy is still Fat, Troy is still a wuss, and Kemo is still unable to perform, but medical sience may help kemo soon, and a whole bunch of Steelers goins hurt...Is that Ed's big insight into the Steelers?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08217/901720-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

Steelers Notebook: No change in PUP list as Week 2 gets under way
Monday, August 04, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers began Week 2 of training camp much the way they did opening day: Pro Bowlers Casey Hampton and Troy Polamalu and guard Chris Kemoeatu remain on the physically unable to perform list.

Kemoeatu, though, should make his practice debut this week. The other two may take awhile.

Some updates:

• Kemoeatu will receive a brace for his arm and could come off the PUP list and practice as early as today. Kemoeatu has a triceps injury that occurred while he worked out before camp.

"We're just waiting on a piece of protective equipment and then we can march forward with him," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "I expect to see him here early this week."

Kemoeatu is trying to replace seven-time Pro Bowl left guard Alan Faneca, but he has yet to put on a uniform at training camp.

The Steelers still expect Kemoeatu to open the regular season at left guard, but he has to practice because he has had only two starts in his first three seasons in the league. Tackle Trai Essex has run with the first team in his place.

• Hampton, who reported to camp overweight and out of shape, continues to run and ride a bike on the side while his teammates practice. The big nose tackle said he could play tomorrow, if necessary.

"No question, I can play, but it's on the head coach, it's his decision. Whenever he wants me to come back I'll come back and be ready to go," Hampton said.

Tomlin and Hampton talked yesterday, but the coach declined to elaborate on the conversation.

"That process is still running its course," Tomlin said. "He and I met today and we'll continue to move forward. But he's not where we want him yet."

Hampton said he hasn't been told what he must weigh in order to start practicing.

"No, coach just said when he wants me to come back he'll let me come back ... Hey, man, I just work here, man. I'll just do what they tell me to do and when he tells me to come back -- if it's a day, next week, a month from now -- I'll be ready to go."

Hampton reflected on a question about whether missing a few weeks of camp might save him for later.

"Practice ... I love to play football, I love competing, I love being out there, but I don't think you can find too many linemen who like banging every day on two-a-days. I think it does save me a little bit but from that standpoint. The coaches, I guess they want me to be out there."

• Polamalu went through the conditioning run test July 27, but Tomlin opted to put him on the PUP list because a hamstring injury would not permit Polamalu to accelerate.

"I can run and do all these things, defensive back drills," Polamalu said. "But there's a difference between doing the drills and jogging, and actually going out and competing.

"I was able to do the conditioning test and all the running things, but it's tough to have the transition speed, that really explosive speed."

Tomlin's timetable on Polamalu: "It could be three days, it could be a week."

• Anthony Smith hoped to give Ryan Clark some competition at free safety again this summer, but he has not been able to practice much. Smith injured a groin during the running test July 27, practiced the next day and has been mostly out since.

"It stinks," Smith said. "You work hard in the offseason and something small like this happens. It's just something we have to deal with. I tried to come back a couple days before and came back too early and aggravated it. This time I'm taking a little more time off."

Quick hits
Most of the injured were status quo yesterday. ... Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (groin) was limited but did take some snaps in a team drill. ... Linebacker LaMarr Woodley (groin) did not practice. For the second day, James Harrison switched over to his spot on the left side and rookie Lawrence Timmons took Harrison's spot on the right. ... Tight end Cody Boyd (shoulder) was limited, linebacker Mike Humpal (hamstring) and tight end Dezmond Sherrod (neck) did not practice. ... Wide receiver Santonio Holmes returned to practice after missing the previous two days because of a death in his family.

Greenhorned Rookie

Re: Injury updates

Postby sarka196 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:00 pm

For the second day, James Harrison switched over to his spot on the left side and rookie Lawrence Timmons took Harrison's spot on the right.

So, are they planning on moving Timmons back to the outside again? Interesting.
Marines should come with warning labels.

Return to Stillers Talk