Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » TSN says Steelers unlikely 2 return 2 play-offs this season

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

TSN says Steelers unlikely 2 return 2 play-offs this season

Postby thesteelhammer » Tue May 20, 2008 10:47 pm

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=413960

in part Mike Florio writes:

Pittsburgh Steelers The Steelers of the free-agency era have developed a trend of exceeding low expectations and failing to meet high ones. In 2006, the Super Bowl champs didn't make it back to play in January. A year ago, with no one expecting much from a team breaking in only its third head coach in nearly 40 years, the Steelers won the division.

This year, expectations are high again -- especially with the Bengals imploding, the Ravens rebuilding, and the Browns generally regarded as overrated. In other words, the stage is set for the Steelers to fail.

If they do, it will happen because of an offensive line that got much worse after the departure of left guard Alan Faneca. Although the team used its first two draft picks on high-profile skill-position players (Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed), these rookies won't make much of an impact with no one to block for them. The defensive line received no real upgrade despite the team's desire to do so, and the linebackers and defensive backs are getting older but not necessarily better.

In all, six of 11 starters on defense will be 30 or older by the end of September. That's not a good sign for a team that will need strong performances from the traditional strength of the franchise to prop up an offense that might not score points in bunches.

I don't necessarily agree that the Steelers won't make the post season, but his reasoning is ... well... pretty reasonable. (and he doesn't even mention the tough schedule.)

Practice Squad

Re: TSN says Steelers unlikely 2 return 2 play-offs this season

Postby Switzer » Tue May 20, 2008 11:15 pm

thesteelhammer wrote:http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=413960

in part Mike Florio writes:

Pittsburgh Steelers The Steelers of the free-agency era have developed a trend of exceeding low expectations and failing to meet high ones. In 2006, the Super Bowl champs didn't make it back to play in January. A year ago, with no one expecting much from a team breaking in only its third head coach in nearly 40 years, the Steelers won the division.

This year, expectations are high again -- especially with the Bengals imploding, the Ravens rebuilding, and the Browns generally regarded as overrated. In other words, the stage is set for the Steelers to fail.

If they do, it will happen because of an offensive line that got much worse after the departure of left guard Alan Faneca. Although the team used its first two draft picks on high-profile skill-position players (Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed), these rookies won't make much of an impact with no one to block for them. The defensive line received no real upgrade despite the team's desire to do so, and the linebackers and defensive backs are getting older but not necessarily better.

In all, six of 11 starters on defense will be 30 or older by the end of September. That's not a good sign for a team that will need strong performances from the traditional strength of the franchise to prop up an offense that might not score points in bunches.

I don't necessarily agree that the Steelers won't make the post season, but his reasoning is ... well... pretty reasonable. (and he doesn't even mention the tough schedule.)

the way i read this. Is No one from the division is going to win.. steelers yadda yadda, ravens rebuilding, browns overated, cincy blowing up.. we all know that is not possible.somoeone will win the divison and make the playoffs.

he actually needs a clue... he points out the obivious...

he does not mention the steelers have a top 3 or 4 qb in the NFL who has won.. do any of the other teams?

you guys had the leading rusher in the NFL until he got hurt.... did the other teams

the tuff scheual is crap though different season... you will find out how tuff your schudual is this year after about 4 games of the season...

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Tue May 20, 2008 11:20 pm

Yeah, I agree that someone has to win the AFC North, and the Steelers have as good or better shot than the others, which is why i said I didn't necessarily agree that the Steelers won't make the post season. I do think his reasoning about our O-line is right though. And he is right that our D is getting older.

(BTW: Dallas had some signings today. Posted one on the NFL forum. Let me know what you think about it on that forum.)

Seasoned Veteran

Postby 4nic8 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:00 am

I am concerned about the O-line also, but only because Zierlein is entertaining the idea that Colon stays at right tackle. I hope his statements were intended to motivate Starks.

My other concern is that Kemo may be dumber than a box of hammers. But if he can at least get in someone's way that would be an upgrade over 2007 Faneca. Faneca was horrible last year.

The tough schedule may help this year considering how we played down to our opponents level last year.

Arizona
Denver
NY Jets

Can't take any weeks off this year, and they will be a better team for it come playoff time.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby catesinator » Wed May 21, 2008 12:54 pm

This is Mike Florio from PFT writing this article. What he says should be worth a grain of salt.

Return to Stillers Talk