Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Fat Casey earns his nickname

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Fat Casey earns his nickname

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:36 pm

Tomiln puts the boot down on Fat Casey!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ai3uhsAPeRQZw9.S6K7qx_ZDubYF?slug=ap-steelers-hampton&prov=ap&type=lgns

Overweight Hampton sidelined after failed run test
By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
54 minutes ago

LATROBE, Pa. (AP)—Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton was placed on the physically unable to perform list Sunday after reporting to training camp overweight and failing to complete the Pittsburgh Steelers’ annual run test.

Hampton, listed at 325 pounds but apparently much heavier, lagged 30 yards behind defensive end Brett Keisel during one of eight 100-yard sprints. Hampton completed only five.

“He’s overweight and he’s not conditioned enough to participate at this point,” coach Mike Tomlin said.

There was no Kendrell Bell to bail Hampton out this time, either.

When a similarly out-of-shape Hampton couldn’t complete several of the 14 40-yard sprints the Steelers ran when Bill Cowher was coach, Bell jumped in and ran two sprints for him in 2003. Hampton recovered to make the final run that summer, though Cowher was visibly displeased and held Hampton out of practice until he was in better shape.

Hampton won’t be allowed to practice in this camp until he drops weight, and Tomlin suggested that will take more than a few days.

Hampton, starting his eighth NFL season, skipped the Steelers’ optional team practices last spring to work out on his own. He explained Sunday that his absence was to take care of personal business and not because he had any issue with the team.

“I wasn’t trying to make any statement,” Hampton said.

Tomlin didn’t like the one he made during the running test as Hampton was the only player who couldn’t finish. Some players who attended a certain number of voluntary team workouts were allowed to skip the tests as a reward for their attendance.

“It’s not about (missing the voluntary practices),” Tomlin said of Hampton. “It’s about coming to camp ready to play football.”

Star safety Troy Polamalu (hamstring) and left guard Chris Kemoeatu (triceps) also were placed on the physically unable to perform list, yet Polamalu still completed the running test. Polamalu was injured while working out on his own, and Kemoeatu—All-Pro guard Alan Faneca’s apparent replacement — was hurt lifting weights in advance of camp. Neither injury is believed to be serious.

Hampton has had an ongoing battle with his weight since being a first-round draft pick in 2001, yet has made the last three Pro Bowls and has played in the NFL’s annual all-star game in four of the last five seasons. Hampton also was chosen as the team’s co-most valuable player in 2005.

Hampton’s ability to stop the run is one of the keys to the Steelers’ 3-4 defense.

Asked when Hampton will be in good enough shape to practice, Tomlin said, “I’ll determine that.”

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Fat Casey earns his nickname

Postby No l Gravity l » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:57 am

Bout time someone told his fatass to lose some weight. Lardboy gained considerable amount of fat in the final 7 weeks of last season.

Practice Squad

Postby RoethlisCrosby87 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:28 am

TOMLIN SETS STANDARD By John Harris TRIBUNE-REVIEW
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 79750.html

Hampton spoke with reporters about his offseason training prior to yesterday's conditioning run.

"I had some things going on at the crib," Hampton said. "I had to take care of some family stuff. I did a little running and stuff like that on my own."

From the sounds of it, fat Casey hasn't really been working out at all this offseason. I gotta say thats kinda disappointing. I don't want to blow it out of proportion, but I really wish we had a younger DT or someone behind him that will actually push him to be in better shape. Right now, Casey knows that our d-line depth behind him is so bad and how much we need him that the guy can be lethargic all offseason. I'm glad Tomlin put his foot down.

I wonder if whatever is going on at this guys "crib" is making him have some kind of eating disorder. I think whatever chances he had of getting resigned by the steelers after his current contract may have just gone down a bit.

Stillers.com Team

Postby StillMill » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:47 am

I exposed Fat Casey as a fraud last season, when he RARELY EVER was double-teamed.

Now the fat piece of shit it too pooped to run 8 sprints. What a fatass.

"Stillers.com -- When it comes to exposing frauds and media fables, no one comes close"

Seasoned Veteran

Postby GodfatherofSoul » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:38 am

Well, I'm officially boycotting my Hampton jersey this season. Think I'll go with a Woodley this year.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby TheOldRanger » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:44 am

If you're a professional athlete, you have one job: stay in shape, show up for work ready to go. What the fuck is this bloated manatee thinking? That, since we're so thin on the DL, that the Steelers' need for his presence makes him invaluable? That he's all they have, so he can show up overweight and out of shape? I am losing patience with this overrated, overpaid fucking Sasquatch in a helmet. Maybe he'd like to try his hand at finding gainful employment outside of football. Good luck with that, idiot.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:18 pm

It must be okay to come to camp as a lardbucket if it was for "family stuff." Sheesh.

That was lame and so was the outdated use of "crib" but it's still only July, folks.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:35 pm

Hampton said. "I had to take care of some family stuff."
HOW ABOUT TAKING CARE OF YOUR FAMILY BY MAKING SURE YOU STILL HAVE A JOB ON THIS TEAM.

We do have some pretty decent depth behind him. Hoke has played pretty well, even when filling in for long stretches.
It's the ends where we are "thin". (Pun intended)

Practice Squad

Postby Yazman of Steel » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:25 am

I dont care what you hacks say, Hampton puts great run stuffing pressure up the "gut" For someone who is a fat sack of shit he has been noted as one of the best nosetackles in the league for years. Cut him. Oh yeah I forgot our Dline was a big problem last year. Hampton will be just fine, go back to picking on Nate Washington.

Practice Squad

Postby gumband » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:04 pm

At four mil a year do you know how many twinkies one can buy? 'N' the shelf life is at least a hundred years....so we'll never have to worry 'bout Casey going hungry 'n his lifetime...

Seasoned Veteran

Postby The Fan Of STEEL » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:16 pm

Casey is PHAT!

Seriously though, I hope he can shed at least 20 pounds by the start of the season, but he is one of the strongest players in the league. We don't need him to run a hundred yards, but we do need him to have the stamina to finish his plays and the game. I think the biggest concern should be an injury to Hampton because of his weight. I believe this was Tomlins way of trying to push Casey to get in a little better playing weight. His upperbody strength is amazing especially if you have watched him bench press 225 lbs 40 times, and his top press is near 600. He has a weight problem, but he is still one of the strongest players in the NFL.

Who Is NFL's Strongest Man?

http://sports.aol.com/nfl/story/_a/bbdp/who-is-nfls-strongest-man/101626

Practice Squad

Postby stillthere » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:47 pm

I am not trying to say Hampton is anything like Jamain Stephens but not being able to run 8 - 100's when you knew going in you would have to? That sounds a bit Stephensish. And some how you were able to do 14 when Cowher ran camp tells me that no matter what family stuff you had to take care of you spent way less than a minimal amount of time getting ready for your job. I hope the guy takes this and "runs" with it until he is in some semblence of shape.

Bad Move Fat Man. You owe your team this season for this move already.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:06 pm

A week later and Casey is still Fat and still out, but he swears he can play ball.
check it out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3519121

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Iron Gut » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:38 pm

I don't see what the issue is. Yes, Casey is a big fat bastard. But, he isn't paid to run up and down the field. He is paid to clog the middle. If he does that, he can be 600 lbs (looks damn near it) for all I care. However, if he doesn't pull his weight (pun intended), then you need to look at someone else for the job.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:29 pm

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:30 pm

Return to Stillers Talk