Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Rhoden Compares Rooneys to Mike Vick?? lmao.

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Rhoden Compares Rooneys to Mike Vick?? lmao.

Postby No l Gravity l » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:23 pm

In the days since the news broke that the Rooney family could be giving up its majority ownership of the Pittsburgh Steelers, there has been almost universal praise for the Rooneys in the media.

But New York Times columnist William C. Rhoden had harsh words for the Rooneys today. On an appearance on ESPN’s The Sports Reporters, Rhoden ripped the Rooneys for their involvement in dog racing, and even compared the Rooneys to imprisoned Falcons quarterback Michael Vick.

“Throughout Michael Vick’s dog fighting ordeal,” Rhoden said, “the National Football League talked about how it opposed Vick’s behavior and cruelty to animals. Now we find out that the Rooneys, one of the pillars of the National Football League, own a dog track.”

Rhoden continued by saying that dog racing is cruel. “The sport should be banned and anyone who aids and abets the industry should be sanctioned, especially an NFL owner whose league just a year ago took such strident stands against animal cruelty,” Rhoden said. “You can’t allow the Rooneys to perpetuate a barbaric industry just because they do it from a luxury box.”

Rhoden was referring to the Palm Beach Kennel Club, which the Rooneys bought in 1970. The NFL has said that some of the business practices of the Kennel Club are inconsistent with NFL gambling policy, and as it appears more likely that the Steelers’ ownership will be restructured, part of that restructuring will likely include having the Steelers and the Kennel Club under separate ownership.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/ ... s-to-vick/

:? :sleep:

Greenhorned Rookie

Re: Rhoden Compares Rooneys to Mike Vick?? lmao.

Postby sarka196 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:41 pm

There is a big difference between dog fighting and dog racing. I wonder if Mr. Rhoden would also like to ban horse racing?

What a douche. :roll:
Marines should come with warning labels.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby GodfatherofSoul » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:36 am

sarka196 wrote:There is a big difference between dog fighting and dog racing. I wonder if Mr. Rhoden would also like to ban horse racing?

What a douche. :roll:

It's a dumb analogy, but dog racing has/had a history of abusive treatment of its animals. Same with horse racing. I'm not talking about the winners. I'm talking about all the losers that the selective breeding generates. Part of my problem with the way Vick was treated is the hypocrisy when you look at animal cruelty elsewhere in this country.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby sarka196 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:34 am

GodfatherofSoul wrote:Part of my problem with the way Vick was treated is the hypocrisy when you look at animal cruelty elsewhere in this country.

And how and what exactly does animal cruelty elsewhere in this country have anything to do with the NFL or the Rooney's?

Vick committed a felony with his direct involvement in dog fighting. That is why he was suspended. Last time I checked there was nothing illegal about dog racing.
Marines should come with warning labels.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:24 am

Too compare the Rooneys with Michael Vick is absurd. Michael Vick has the I.Q. of a rock. He is a thug want-a-be and an idiot. Just another way to try to compare societies. Rhoden is a dumbass any way just trying to get his name in the news. dog racing - legal dog fighting - illegal where is the comparison. and before anyone runs their mouth I worked for Naples Ft. Myers Dog Kennel. I know a little about how the dogs are treated so before you assume that they are mistreated ask and I will inform you. Whereas in dor fighting their is no doubt about the number of dogs killed and mutilated just to train 1. Rhode is an absurd New England loving want -to be like Vick

Return to Stillers Talk