Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Will the Steelers join the Pirates?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Will the Steelers join the Pirates?

Postby bigjoespompano » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:52 pm

It's been seventy five mostly wonderful years under the Rooney family ownership. Unfortunately, I and many others here have seen this 'movie' before and know how it turns out. All one need do is look across the parking lot. The Pirates used to be a very stable group too and we all got comfortable thinking that it would never end there either. How long have they been in the cellar, now? Twenty five years or so? What happens if the old man loses out and this new guy, Drunkerbum takes over? Will he be another Mcclatchey or Nuttcase? I just can't bear the thought of twenty five or more years of the Cleveland/Cincinnati Steelers. I live dead center between Jax/Atl/Charlotte and this place is loaded with their fans. Right now, when I'm decked out in my Steeler finest, I get respect. We may trade 'barbs' but there is a strong sense of admiration and honor bestowed upon our colors. It just sickens me to even entertain the possibility of being happy if we even reach .500 for a season. I just hope and pray the Old Man comes out on top.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Will the Steelers join the Pirates?

Postby No l Gravity l » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:51 pm

Who are the Pirates?

;)

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:01 pm

I couldn't agree more.
And with the labor problems on the horizon, I think 10 years from now the entire NFL will be something we won't recognize.

The NFL is #1 right now thanks to a few men like Dan Rooney. It is hard to believe that the other owners are so short sighted (or jealous) that they wouldn't take action to keep Rooney in the fold.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:51 pm

Things change, that's a fact. Nothing stays the same.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:55 pm

Not all change is good.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:09 am

thesteelhammer wrote:Not all change is good.

Hey saw your posts about the Rampage/Griffin fight in the other forum. Didn't know you watched MMA. :celebrate:

Rampage got royally screwed in my opinion :no: . I had him winning rounds 1, 3, and 4 while Griffin had 2 (scored 10-8) and 5. It should have been declared a draw and went to a 6th round.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby catesinator » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:09 am

The difference is that McClatchy and Nutting, while wealthy people, are not wealthy in comparison to their peers in baseball. McClatchy and Nutting are millionares going up against billionares. In addition, neither man is from the area and thus could give a shit about Pittsburgh or the Pirates. They are purely in the game to make a shitload of money, winning and the fans be damned.

Drunkenmiller is one of the wealthiest men in the country, is from Pittsburgh and is a rabid Steeler fan from the reports out there. He probably has more money than at least 75% of the other owners in the league. This is the kind of guy that would do whatever it takes (meaning taking a bit of a loss) to win a superbowl championship. Dan Rooney is closer to being on the financial level of McClatchy and Nutting than he is Drunkenmiller's.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:53 pm

Dan is also closer to being one fo us, than Drunkenmiller.

No Gravity - check the UFC thread in other sports and will talk there.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby StainlessStill » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:28 am

Dan Rooney is one of the most well respected individuals of his time in EVERY era of this sport. The man runs on pure determination and love of this team, city, family and organization. He has shown us NOTHING more than to proudly give us a product year in and year out that's a winner for a good cause, and the way things are supposed to be ran when dealing with suites.

Do you REALLY think Dan Rooney will tarnish the tradition, passion, legacy, and stature that HE and his father built and hire some JACKASS who will come in here and fuck with everything? I think not, and we as fans owe Rooney a better acknowledgment of the situation and trust.

Things do change, but this juggernaut organization is too strong of a hold to turn this thing over to a freak, sideshow clown.
We will see, but I'll bet if any decision is in the hands of Dan Rooney...we have nothing to worry about.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Stillustronic » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:39 am

It's been seventy five mostly wonderful years under the Rooney family ownership.

Um, minus the first forty, huh.

The Pirates used to be a very stable group too

Since when?

How long have they been in the cellar, now? Twenty five years or so?

You missed the 90's? You know when this stable franchise could never sign their stars to contract 2?

Drunkerbum takes over? Will he be another Mcclatchey or Nuttcase?

A passionate home state Steelers fan worth $3.5 billion, just like the guy Lemue found to keep the Penguins in Pittsburgh, That guy?

Right now, when I'm decked out in my Steeler finest, I get respect.

Go with what works for you when all else fails.

The old man is in his mid 70's and is not as rich as his brothers are. He will be gone one day, just like George Washington and Ben Franklin. What they fathered lives on.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:38 pm

StainlessStill wrote:Do you REALLY think Dan Rooney will tarnish the tradition, passion, legacy, and stature that HE and his father built and hire some JACKASS who will come in here and fuck with everything? I think not, and we as fans owe Rooney a better acknowledgment of the situation and trust.

Welcome to the message board Stainless.
Glad to have you here posting, but I gotta ask you,
Who do you think is being "HIRED"?
This isn't a hiring. It is a buy out, or a partnership. The nature of which remains to be seen.

I have a great deal of respect for Dan, but I also can't believe he let this rule pass without having his own house in order firts. Very short sighted.
He has also had 2 years to get a deal done, and has not. Very Troubling.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby StainlessStill » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:07 pm

thesteelhammer wrote:
StainlessStill wrote:Do you REALLY think Dan Rooney will tarnish the tradition, passion, legacy, and stature that HE and his father built and hire some JACKASS who will come in here and fuck with everything? I think not, and we as fans owe Rooney a better acknowledgment of the situation and trust.

Welcome to the message board Stainless.
Glad to have you here posting, but I gotta ask you,
Who do you think is being "HIRED"?
This isn't a hiring. It is a buy out, or a partnership. The nature of which remains to be seen.

I have a great deal of respect for Dan, but I also can't believe he let this rule pass without having his own house in order firts. Very short sighted.
He has also had 2 years to get a deal done, and has not. Very Troubling.

Thanks for the welcome. I was on the other board for many years and realized some pretty messed up things have happend between people who were running it. I'm glad it's back open for talk.

You caught that 'hiring' and that was certainly the wrong word to be used in that rant. The Buy out or partnership word is better for the situation and phrasing. It's hard for a die hard like myself and like many of you guys here when the thought of having an owner take control of the reigns with the last name not named Rooney. It kind of leaves an impression of us scratching our head since this all came about in the matter of days.

It kind of hurts that this generation of the family wants out without hesitation and for not keeping the Pittsburgh Stilllers name so close to the Rooney stone. Money is a powerful thing. No other organization is ran like the way the Stillers run things and the talks for that to suddenly come to an end is mind boggling. We simply don't know anything else outside of the Rooney's, and us as fans and as a city took pride in that. Call it spoiled rotten or whatever, but to think that in the matter of days there could be a shift in operations at the head of the ship kind of leaves us with shrugged shoulders of what REALLY could happen next with a different shift of direction.

I understand the times are changing, and that this was and IS going to happen eventually. If it happens, it'll take awhile to soak in given the history and love for the team, esp the Rooney's.

I really do trust in Dan as he seems down to earth regarding all this and there's no doubt that he is going to do NOTHING more than what's best for the team as a whole. We will see soon.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:37 pm

Again, Nice post.

For the most part I also trust Dan and have some faith that if there is a way, he will find it.

But I don't know The other four brothers -- Art Jr., Timothy, Patrick and John. So I don't trust them or have much faith in them, primarily because they have allowed it to come to this point.

Let's hope they remember their father, and The Chief's love of this team.
The day this team leaves his family's control, he will be weeping in heaven.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Stillustronic » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:33 pm

Get this. It is because Dan, the eldest son of the Chief, has been so involved in operating the Steelers, (a low profit endeavor with the money involved), is probably the least wealthy of all the Rooneys. With all of the passion he has to support or fair city with a (THE) model franchise the world does still turn, and having real financial backing in our house is a welcome development IMO.

All the Rooneys are quite known throughout the country and I am proud to have them as the architects of our team, but it appears this Goodell guy (who Dan had a significant role in getting elected as commissioner) is taking his morality campaign too far to regulate WHO owns a team these days.

What the fuck is up with that?

Return to Stillers Talk