Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Steelers biggest weaknesses

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Steelers biggest weaknesses

Postby jstallworth82 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:35 pm

Where do we really start? O.k. We'll start with the obvious.

The Offensive Line. It stunk last year and the organization has done nothing about it. In relity with the loses they are weaker now than then. Big problem look for Ben to get sacked ove 60 times this year.

Wide Receivers. We have tremendous talent at this position but the routes are often too complicated and slow not givin Benan adequate target while he is running for his life. Also i you remember early in Bens career (1st season) he threw a lot of quick slants and posts. why not put them back in the play book. Hines is not a young player anymore.

The Defenses inability to consistatly pressure the QB.

The Poor tackling

Head Coach: Mike Tomlin is young and inexperienced as a HC but some of his decisions expecially late in the WC game has cost them immensely. He doesnt react to problems quickly. He doesn't have a sense of urgency about fixing problems and this will be the year that it really show facing such a tough schedule. Needs to be more aggresive on both sides of the ball.

Stillers.com Team

Re: Steelers biggest weaknesses

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:22 pm

Agree that the O-line is the biggest problem. We really need to bring in some talent here. Hopefully Hartwig is an upgrade.

I think the D-line is #2. Kiesel hasn't shown me that he should be starting, and we have zero depth at DE.
That said, I think the changes at OLB should improve our pass rush.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:39 pm

I've been wondering how long it is going to take before they realize the importance of a strong O-Line. though I like some of the picks in the draft we should have addressed the O-line first and foremost. we failed to do this in the draft and did not accomplish much via FA. I agree that the D-line isin need of help but like you said the LBs do help out the situation a little.
I really think that the draft picks as well as the FA movement shows the inability of Tomlin to see the whole picture. You can have Randy Moss, Jerry Rice, John Stallworth Jim Brown Walter Payton Joe Montana but without an O-Line you will not win many games. It all begins there.

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:34 pm

I do agree that O-line is a huge concern. At the same time, a player like Big Ben can make things happen with play makers so we can hope for better RB and WR play this year.

Also, don't underestimate chemistry on the o-line. It's not all talent that makes an o-line -- see the cheaters in NE. We won't know if our line is better or worse until the season is underway for some time.

Tomlin will be better this year with a year behind him. I am not worried about him.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby GodfatherofSoul » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:21 am

Defensive ends, period. The O-line problems are resolvable and I have a strong suspicion last year had something to do with conflicts with players and coaches on technique as we've heard hinted. We're hearing good things about our O-line gelling, haven't heard a peep about DEs (correct me if I'm wrong).

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:17 am

i hope the olinf is gelling but I do not believe that they are better talent wise and until they strt gelling against real competition and winning battles I will remain worried. DEs get support from LBs O-line gets no real help if they are weak. I have a lot more confidence in our DEs than our OL. Plus we have a solid LBing corps. Time will tell.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:03 pm

An interesting aspect of this is that our biggest two weaknesses practice against each other.

I mean, if the O-line was great, the D-line would have to practice against them every day and would probably get better because of it, But what we have is two mediocre units facing each other with neither really pushing the other.
(notice I am talking about them as groups - obviously there are a couple good players, but as a group both lines suck.)

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby steelmann58 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:25 pm

i believe the depth on the Dl is a major weakness

Stillers.com Team

Postby trenches » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:10 pm

Hammer,

You bring up a good point. I think that facing off mediocre against mediocre can be a detriment. In the past, the team has built strength from within the team. This year might continue to stall each unit.

It will be interesting to watch. I know that I don't have a confident feel at this point.

Practice Squad

Postby gumband » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:45 pm

Special teams...game after game....year after year....when does the bleeding stop.

Practice Squad

Postby smithessmokin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:05 am

view this:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=137

breaks it down.
Starks for RT in 2008.

Max Starks- 17.5 sacks in 4 seasons.

Willie Colon- 12.25 sacks in 1 season.

You do the math. Now, who do you want starting at RT??

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:57 pm

thesteelhammer wrote:Agree that the O-line is the biggest problem. We really need to bring in some talent here. Hopefully Hartwig is an upgrade.

I think the D-line is #2. Kiesel hasn't shown me that he should be starting, and we have zero depth at DE.
That said, I think the changes at OLB should improve our pass rush.

I think I'd hafta flip #1 and #2...

Hartwig is an instant upgrade over that waste of space Mahan,
and that under-performing-turnstile-with-a-huge-ego-to-match-a-huge-paycheck Faneca is gone. Colon or Kemo or Whoever should also be an upgrade, if in desire and attitude alone.

The DL on the other hand...
Keisel at 30 in week 2 will be our youngest starter when we open the season, and is right now the only "official" RDE on the roster.
Smith isn't 100% and remains a big :?: for 9/7, and Kirschke (34?!?!?!?) and Eason (28 - Lord, save us) are our first backup DEs.

Yeah, I'm a bit more concerned with our sitch at DL, especially DE...
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:24 pm

smithessmokin wrote:view this:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=137

...dude, I tried...
...I REALLY, REALLY tried, but I just can't...

for starters, way too long...
second, the language barrier just kills it...

way too many basic grammar, spelling, and punctuation issues make it just impossible to pay attention long enough to muddle through this drivel...

either:
a> keep it much shorter

OR

b> go back and actually finish those remedial junior-high English classes

then maybe you can all "wax loquacious" on us...

A shame, really - there might actually be some sound logic buried in there. :cry:

...somewhere...
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Return to Stillers Talk