Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Isn't it sad? This defense could still be better

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

Isn't it sad? This defense could still be better

Postby steelerspaz » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:08 pm

Of course, after the Patriots game, every analyst from here to high water is going to go on a tangent about how great the Steelers D is - especially statistically.

And yet, with Timmons coming off the bench, we all know they could be playing even better. Foote has hardly shown his ability to play elite level defence as an ILB, yet Timmons does game in and game out - off the bench.

Hopefully by the time the playoffs come around the coaching staff will be playing him starting minutes. If not, we could be looking at this season being a "woulda coulda" for the defense, amidst their "statistical superiority".

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Isn't it sad? This defense could still be better

Postby Jeemie » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:06 pm

steelerspaz wrote:Of course, after the Patriots game, every analyst from here to high water is going to go on a tangent about how great the Steelers D is - especially statistically.

And yet, with Timmons coming off the bench, we all know they could be playing even better. Foote has hardly shown his ability to play elite level defence as an ILB, yet Timmons does game in and game out - off the bench.

Hopefully by the time the playoffs come around the coaching staff will be playing him starting minutes. If not, we could be looking at this season being a "woulda coulda" for the defense, amidst their "statistical superiority".

You obviously haven't been watching- Foote has been solid this year- especially in the run game, where Timmons could stand to learn a thing or two.

If anyone should come off the field more often, it's Farrior. Much as I get on Mill for devoting at least two paragraphs of every post-game analysis to Farrior whether he's played well or not (Farrior is this year's Hampton who was last year's Porter who was the year before's Gildong for Mill- Mill always seems to need a "Gildong-like" whipping boy, or his season isn't complete!), he has not played well (and that carried on into today).

But Farrior just got the extension so he ain't coming off the field any time soon.

But Foote has been solid.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby jstallworth82 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:11 pm

I don't know I have seen Foote miss a lot of tackles this year. Farrior has lost a step but still tackles well and stays in position. Foote seems to hit the turf too often.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:14 pm

jstallworth82 wrote:I don't know I have seen Foote miss a lot of tackles this year. Farrior has lost a step but still tackles well and stays in position. Foote seems to hit the turf too often.

Farrior blew the coverage on Moss on that pass that should have been a TD at the end of the first half.

He's been "out of position" like that many times this season...in the pass and run game.

Foote has been quietly solid this year- I think your memories are from seasons past.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:19 pm

Does anyone think Timmons appears to be little bit light? Needs to put on a few pounds?

That's the impression I get watching him play linebacker.

I think maybe he should work on that in the offseason; that would help him get a starting role, perhaps.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:33 am

timmons is only 21 in his second year. still very young.

timmons is primarily a skill backer. a high speed pass rusher...and open space coverage guy...and able to shadow wide receivers. if he bulks up it might slow him down a lot.

Return to Stillers Talk