Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Safety Smith yaps again

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Safety Smith yaps again

Postby Nel » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:37 pm

Just what we need to do, light another fire under the Patriots.

Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:11 pm EST

Steelers' Smith guarantees win over Pats ... again

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors;_ylt ... LRyxUdsLYF

Some guys never learn. One year after guaranteeing that the Pittsburgh Steelers would beat the New England Patriots — only to see his team and himself embarrassed — Steelers' safety Smith is offering up the same sentiments prior to this week's game against the Patriots.

"If they ask me again, I'll say the same thing," Smith told the Indiana Gazette. "We're the No. 1 defense. If we play like we've been playing, and our offense comes around and has a good game, and we're clicking on all cylinders, we're going to win the game."

When Smith uttered the comments last year - "Yeah, I can guarantee a win," he said, "as long as we come out and do what we got to do" — the comment was a magnet for attention within the Patriots organization.

Even after New England dismantled Pittsburgh, 34-13, Patriots coach Bill Belichick took his own little jab, saying: "We've played against a lot better safeties than him, I'll tell you. The safety play at that position was pretty inviting."

Source: NFL.com

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Safety Smith yaps again

Postby GodfatherofSoul » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:39 pm

I don't mind shit talking from players. What I DO mind are shit talking players who can't back it up. As I recall, he gave up arguably 3 TD passes in that NE game.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Crosby4Life » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:58 pm

Call me unconventional, but I prefer my players actually show the ability to step on the field for more than a few plays per game before talking trash through the media.

Nothing like getting the opponent fired up then watching your teammates pay for it while you're on the sidelines watching.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby rick723 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:08 pm

Read it guys. READ it, What would you want him to say? Can't wait to go up there and get my ass kicked? Every one here would be calling him stupid then
If they ask me again, I'll say the same thing," Smith told the Indiana Gazette. "We're the No. 1 defense. If we play like we've been playing, and our offense comes around and has a good game, and we're clicking on all cylinders, we're going to win the game."

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Crosby4Life » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:34 pm

rick723 wrote:Read it guys. READ it, What would you want him to say? Can't wait to go up there and get my ass kicked? Every one here would be calling him stupid then
If they ask me again, I'll say the same thing," Smith told the Indiana Gazette. "We're the No. 1 defense. If we play like we've been playing, and our offense comes around and has a good game, and we're clicking on all cylinders, we're going to win the game."

A list of acceptable answer:

"They're a great team. We'll play our best and accept the results."

"They're a team that's on a roll right now. We'll need to be at our best."

"We have a ton of respect for what they're doing and it's going to be a tough matchup."

"We know it'll be a tough team. We like our chances, but it's going to take everything we've got to come through."

OR, my personal favorite...

"NO COMMENT"

Grizzled Veteran

Postby indysteel » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:36 pm

Screw the Pats.

Hopefully, Cassel will spend the afternoon laying on his back studying cloud formations. If he has blood dripping out of some orifice of his, that's even better.

Fricken Pats can kiss my white ass.

Smith can and should say anything.

You can't offend pricks which is exactly what those nutbags in NE are.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Lake37 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:54 pm

What he said isn't really out of line...EXCEPT for the fact that he ran his mouth last year and then became Brady and Belichick's personal whipping boy. Maybe he could learn a few "Tomlin Talk" lines such as... "We are just going to handle our own business" or a no comment would have been great

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Crosby4Life » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:18 pm

indysteel wrote:
Hopefully, Cassel will spend the afternoon laying on his back studying cloud formations. If he has blood dripping out of some orifice of his, that's even better.

That's the problem, in my opinion. I don't expect us to get to Cassel much. Just as Brady used to do against us, I expect Cassel to take short drops and get the ball out of his hands before our rushers can get there. I love what Lebeau has done with the defense this year, but every defense has a weakness somewhere and the Pats' quick passing offense has always been ours. That offense has proven over the years that they can exploit our weakness(es) as good as anyone in the league.

If we bring extra guys to rush, Cassel is going to play pitch-and-catch with short routes to Welker and RB's coming out of the backfield all day long. If we start pressing to counter that, they'll go max-protect and send Moss deep. Their running game is just good enough, even with the injuries, that we can't completely ignore it.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:56 pm

Why do we always have one of these jack asses on our team.
Lee Flowers, Joey Porter, Anthony Smith. I could do with out any of them.
SHUT UP AND PLAY.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby El Nino » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:24 pm

The media is blowing this shit way out or proportion... AGAIN.

He didn't flat out say we're gonna guaranteed win this game last year, nor this year.

he said.."Yeah, I can guarantee a win, as long as we come out and do what we got to do"

which basically means 'we will win the game if we play well and do our jobs'. i thought from the beginning what he said was misquoted and blown way out of context.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby El Nino » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:26 pm

Crosby4Life wrote:
indysteel wrote:

That's the problem, in my opinion. I don't expect us to get to Cassel much. Just as Brady used to do against us, I expect Cassel to take short drops and get the ball out of his hands before our rushers can get there. I love what Lebeau has done with the defense this year, but every defense has a weakness somewhere and the Pats' quick passing offense has always been ours. That offense has proven over the years that they can exploit our weakness(es) as good as anyone in the league.

If we bring extra guys to rush, Cassel is going to play pitch-and-catch with short routes to Welker and RB's coming out of the backfield all day long. If we start pressing to counter that, they'll go max-protect and send Moss deep. Their running game is just good enough, even with the injuries, that we can't completely ignore it.

With ryan clark back and a healthy troy P, i feel we'll be able to not give up the big plays. they'll complete those short passes, but as long as our tackling is sound, we can stop them.

I'm hoping the players on this steeler team hate the patriots as much as I do and will make this a PHYSICAL game. cause i wanna see patriot heads rolling

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:07 am

who cares, we have a way better defense on the field this yr and they dont have tom brady, rodney harrison ect.....!
dont be blinded by thier offense putting up big numbers against crappy defenses like the jets and dolphins.. the only 2 decent defenses they platyed this yr(colts and chargers) they put up 10 and 15 points....

they have not played a defense ranked in the top 12 yet this season and they are getting number 1 across the board on sunday!

there is no reason at all we should'nt be cocky and walk all over this team. They just beat the 2008 dolphins not the 76 steelers..... the pats have given up over 28 points in 4 different games already this yr, so conisidering we give up 13 points a game and the pats secondary is garbage, dont see them in this game at all unless ben has a 2 plus int game.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby rick723 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:43 am

Lake37 wrote:What he said isn't really out of line...EXCEPT for the fact that he ran his mouth last year and then became Brady and Belichick's personal whipping boy. Maybe he could learn a few "Tomlin Talk" lines such as... "We are just going to handle our own business" or a no comment would have been great

Remember DOUCHETT drug that prediction out of him. Basically left Smith the option of saying yes we're going to win or we are going to lose. If anything douchbag should have been taken out back and shot.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:08 am

As a player, you have to know the writers are just waiting to run with this kind of statement, that's what they get paid to do.

For Smith to do this twice now to the Patriots is just icing on Smith's I'm-a-stupid-shit cake.

I hope that Tomlin tears Smith a new bunghole for this.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Crosby4Life » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:53 am

Nel wrote:As a player, you have to know the writers are just waiting to run with this kind of statement, that's what they get paid to do.

For Smith to do this twice now to the Patriots is just icing on Smith's I'm-a-stupid-shit cake.

Exactly, Nel.

Perception is reality, and the Patriots have proven to be the masters of bending perception to fall in line with their "Nobody respects us" credo since 2001.

I don't care about context.

I don't care about intent.

You put the words "guarantee" and "win" in the same sentence, and that's all the bulletin board material the Patsies need.

As Steeler fans, it's easy to look at a statement like that and say it's not a big deal. But we're not the ones wearing the silver helmets this Sunday. Those are the guys who are going to twist and contort those words any way they see fit.

Practice Squad

Postby Scarletfire1970 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:57 am

El Nino wrote:The media is blowing this shit way out or proportion... AGAIN.

He didn't flat out say we're gonna guaranteed win this game last year, nor this year.

he said.."Yeah, I can guarantee a win, as long as we come out and do what we got to do"

which basically means 'we will win the game if we play well and do our jobs'. i thought from the beginning what he said was misquoted and blown way out of context.

I agree. I felt the same way last year as well. The media is dying for a story. They don't have one, so they have to create one. I guess it ain't good enough to cover two teams fighting for the playoffs. Should be a good game.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby shawnlucas » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:36 pm

El Nino wrote:The media is blowing this shit way out or proportion... AGAIN.

The problem is that he gave them a quote to misquote in the first place.

Belichick is both a master strategist and motivator and you give him a molehill and he'll proudly build his players into a mountain of frothing, seething perceived disrespect. He said almost the exact same thing last year and got lit the eff up. You think that he'd learn his lesson and just not say anything this week.

The media up here is already whipping this thing into "Smith Guarantees a Win #2" and it's already on the bulletin board at Gillette, I'd imagine.

I'd love for them to back this one up, but I agree with the poster that said all you need to get to this defense is a spread offense and some short passing. In case Smith hasn't noticed, Cassell has thrown for over 400 yards the past two weeks. Moss is starting to catch passes and it is opening up the middle for Welker.

This could be an ugly game come Sunday.

Practice Squad

Postby Scarletfire1970 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:55 pm

Either we are better than the NE Patriots or we are not.

It's that simple.

Nothing Anthony Smith says is going to change the outcome of the game on Sunday.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby UncleDick » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:01 pm

Anthony Smith's response should have went like this....

"We will win this game as long as I dont step onto the field because i am fucking awful."

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:21 pm

Crosby4Life wrote:
Nel wrote:As a player, you have to know the writers are just waiting to run with this kind of statement, that's what they get paid to do.

Exactly, Nel.

Perception is reality, and the Patriots have proven to be the masters of bending perception to fall in line with their "Nobody respects us" credo since 2001.

I don't care about context.

I don't care about intent.

You put the words "guarantee" and "win" in the same sentence, and that's all the bulletin board material the Patsies need.

As Steeler fans, it's easy to look at a statement like that and say it's not a big deal. But we're not the ones wearing the silver helmets this Sunday. Those are the guys who are going to twist and contort those words any way they see fit.

Yeah, not to mention that it will add a bunch of extra decibels to the NE crowd noise as well. Sheesh.

Next

Return to Stillers Talk