Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

New old Punter

Postby deltadweller » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:38 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08329/93 ... eelers.xml

Steelers bring back Berger to punt
Monday, November 24, 2008
Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have decided to bring back punter Mitch Berger as a replacement for Paul Ernster -- the second time this season Ernster has been waived in favor of Berger.

The decision to re-sign Berger, 36, has not been announced by the Steelers, but Coach Mike Tomlin said he needed to address the position after Ernster punted five times for a 28.5-yard average in the team's last game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Berger appeared in eight games for the Steelers this season, averaging 41.9 yards per punt, but he was released Nov. 5 because of hamstring problems in both legs. Ernster, who was with the team in training camp, was re-signed as his replacement

When he was healthy I think he was servicable. Hopefully he's not still punting on 2 bad hammy's. Looks like another exhaustive search from our front office. :(

Grizzled Veteran

Re: New old Punter

Postby IronCity__Man » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:33 pm

Why do I have the distinct feeling he is still injured. Maybe because hamstring injuries often take up to 8 weeks to heal properly and the horrible track record Tomlin has displayed with the punter situation.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby smheart78 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:12 pm

Stupid question:
Can someone tell me why they are not holding tryouts or why they aren't entertaining back-ups from other teams?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby deltadweller » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:14 pm

I think the search went something like this. "Hey Mike, do you still have Mitch's number? You can search over in that stack on my desk. Ok. Thanks. " :sucrutches:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby BigE » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:22 pm

Another stupid ass decision by Colbert. Yeah! Let's bring back a 36 year old deadbeat who had hamstring injuries and couldn't punt worth a shit anyway. There has got to be more viable options out there for the Stillers other than this lame ass decision. After he signs Berger back, how about adding a few more years onto Farrior's contract while he's at it, what an idiot!

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby zapunto » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:30 pm

Excuse me while I quit my day job to fast learn punting. I had no idea that there was such a shortage of passable punters looking for NFL jobs.

-c-

Seasoned Veteran

Postby smheart78 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:51 pm

Daniel Sepulveda
Lost for season with torn ACL, everyone knows that by next season he returns as the front man punter (first time in a while we had someone who could nail them inside of the 10). Still not a good enough reason why this is such a difficult process. hmmm.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Hoppy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:12 pm

If he tightens up again...can anyone on the bench step in??

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Lake37 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:07 pm

Hoppy wrote:If he tightens up again...can anyone on the bench step in??

I certainly would hope this would be something that is looked at this week during practice. At least have somebody punt a few times and also take a few long snaps for field goals. So that what happened with the Harrison long snapping situation doesn't happen if Berger does go down.

I would say possibly have Reed punt at least a few times in practice, I would believe that at some point he has probably punted on some level.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby stillDrink » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:54 pm

Hoppy wrote:If he tightens up again...can anyone on the bench step in??

I believe Ben has punted before.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby stillDrink » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:57 pm

http://www.statcrew.com/html/livefb/xplays4.htm

Miami 4-8 on Uc40 ROETHLISBERGER punt 37 yards to the UC3, downed, PENALTY UC personal foul 1 yards to the UC2, 1st and 10, UC ball on UC2.

Practice Squad

Postby StillRush » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:21 pm

I just wrote about this on Mill's article thread but feel like saying it again. The CFL just finished up their season and there should be at least 10 decent punters available in playing shape right now. Why not go out and get one of 'em??? Two guys averaged over 40 net yards, they have got to be better than what Berger has to offer. Come on, Colbert, show some perspective and a little brain power for a change and bring some of those guys in for a tryout before we regret this... :supissed:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:39 am

StillRush wrote:I just wrote about this on Mill's article thread but feel like saying it again. The CFL just finished up their season and there should be at least 10 decent punters available in playing shape right now. Why not go out and get one of 'em??? Two guys averaged over 40 net yards, they have got to be better than what Berger has to offer. Come on, Colbert, show some perspective and a little brain power for a change and bring some of those guys in for a tryout before we regret this... :supissed:

Excellent point...especially when you consider a net of 40 yards up there is better than a net of 40 in the NFL because of the "yards" rule in the CFL. No fair catches up there, and defenders must keep a certain number of yards from the return man until he catches the ball. Every punt in the CFL is returned, unless you down it in the end zone for the dreaded rouge.

The CFL could be an excellent short term solution.....but the AFL is another option. Sav Rocca - an over-the-hill Aussie star - gave the Steelers fits in the Eagles' game.
Everybody in that league is a punter....and they all know how to catch a football, and how to give and take a hit. I've watched my share of Aussie rules "footie" on the teevee here - it's on cable - and there's no doubt there are dozens of guys who are better athletes and can kick better than Ernster and Berger combined. Whether they're able to hold for a placekick is another story.

Practice Squad

Postby Hughy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:53 pm

Tryouts! Oh wait that makes to much sense scrap that idea.
I mean come on every single college team has a punter and how many get taken each year in the draft 5-6 tops. How many of the undrafted/unsigned would drop what they are doing for a chance to play in the NFL for the rest of the season? I am betting the vast majority.

Practice Squad

Postby TallyStiller » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:25 pm

I think the reason they keep recycling guys may be for continuity in the kicking game... with our punter serving as the holder, they'd rather send somebody out there that Jeff Reed has worked with through camp. The kicking game is, we all know, extraordinarily difficult at Heinz, and a huge part of our home field advantage (see AFC Divisional playoff, 2005, Chargers game two weeks ago, etc.). They may not want to mess Reed up by bringing in a new holder - a problem that could easily be solved by giving the job to Dennis Dixon, who would also be a constant threat on fakes.

I'm not arguing that it's a GOOD reason, just saying this may play into the thinking.

Return to Stillers Talk