Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » What Arians can learn from the Giants' running game

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Greenhorned Rookie

What Arians can learn from the Giants' running game

Postby zapunto » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:58 am

Get a real freakin' fullback, stupid.

The Giants' fullback, Madison Hedgecock, is freakin' awesome. He's a true fullback, and according to NFL.com, he's BIG (6'3", 266). He was the lead blocker for the Rams in 2006 when Steven Jackson exploded onto the league to the tune of 1,500+ yards and for reasons unknown to mere mortals, Scott Linehan cut him before the 2007 season, the Giants claimed him on waivers to replace the injured Jim Finn, and the rest is history. The Giants running game has not looked back since.

I could never understand why the Giants' running game turned out to be so dominant -- it's not like their linemen were highly coveted draft picks or anything, with the exception of Snee (a 2nd round pick who also happened to knock up the boss's daughter in college). I always thought to myself, Why can't the Steelers run the ball like that?

We need to get back to the days of John L. and Dan Kreider and dare I say it, Jon Witman these days. Futzing around with an undersized Carey Davis because of his "pass catching" abilities is stupid. 3 whopping catches all season. Wonderful. Why not try a Sean McHugh back there a lot more than he already does and see what happens? He's got the size for it.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: What Arians can learn from the Giants' running game

Postby deltadweller » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:32 pm

I agree with putting any one of the TE's back there. Yo don't need to add a FB to the roster if the TE's can block from the fullback position. They're generally bigger and can catch if the need be. If they can't block, and I don't know why they wouldn't be able to, then you have to consider a blocking fullback.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby GodfatherofSoul » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:24 pm

deltadweller wrote:I agree with putting any one of the TE's back there. Yo don't need to add a FB to the roster if the TE's can block from the fullback position. They're generally bigger and can catch if the need be. If they can't block, and I don't know why they wouldn't be able to, then you have to consider a blocking fullback.

Fullbacks dont have teh same build as TEs. FBs are average height and beefy which makes it easier for them to manuever in the backfield and get leverage on LBs. TEs are too big to be banging around holes on the line.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Hoppy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:20 pm

Hope I eat my words, but the Giants look like a well oiled machine on both sides of the ball. I think they win out.

Return to Stillers Talk