Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » I sent this email to Ed Bouchette and to postgazette.com

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Greenhorned Rookie

I sent this email to Ed Bouchette and to postgazette.com

Postby stillcello » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:52 am

After this most recent chat... I had to say something... I'm sure it won't get read, but I sent it anyways.... here it is.

Mr. Bouchette,

I've been a Steeler fan since I was 8 years old. I don't live in Pittsburgh, but I follow them as much as I can. I have even written some post game columns for Steelers fan websites, etc. I follow the players, coaches, ownership activities, etc. I read postgazette.com all the time including your columns and chats, etc. I'm by no means an expert, but it's one of my main hobbies nonetheless.

I have to say, after reading your most recent chat transcript (11/11/08), I'm noticing a trend in your responses to fan questions and comments. The trend I'm noticing is that in some of your responses, you are often coming across as a rude, smart-alec who will focus more on how asinine you think a fan's question is vs. actually answering or commenting on the question. Here is one post in particular:

Ed Bouchette: I think they need more no-huddle, more use of the power fullback, more running plays at the goalline -- or is it more passing plays? -- more Byron Leftwich, more Max Starks -- or is it now more Marvel Smith? -- more blitzes, fewer fines, more shouting and screaming on the sideline by the head coach, more rollouts by the quarterback outside the pocket -- unless, of course, it's Byron Leftwich -- more dipsy-doodle plays like Mike Mularkey ran -- especially in 2003 when they were 6-10 -- and bring back Tom Moore as their coordinator, except he was run out of town because he was called a stuffed shirt as a coordinator who ran too much behind the fullback.

I see you are trying to make the point that fans are too wishy-washy/critical, etc. But your use of sarcasm is not appreciated by posters who are trying to get some additional insight into why or how something was done that way it was done... which I think at times you can help us with due to your position and experience. I'm sure you must get sick of the second-guessing, etc, but if it's too much to bear, then perhaps the chats are not the best idea for your or for the Post Gazette. These fans take the time to go to the website, wait in some queue, and post their question.... I think the really want explanations and information (if possible)...., not flippant smart-alec remarks. I'm sure some fans like it, but I know that many fans do not. There are message boards full of them. I just wanted to make you aware of this in hopes that you can try to be a bit more respectful to fans, even if their questions or criticisms are silly or stupid in your view.

Here is another example:

Maddog_Russo: When will the media in this town call it like it is? The QB is playing terrible and has cost them 2 games. Everyone's afraid to call out the $102 million dollar man. He should sit this week and every week until he's healthy.
Ed Bouchette: We don't need to tell it like it is when we have expert observers like you.

Is that type of response entertaining to enough readers to warrant such unprofessional sarcastic rudeness? Perhaps it is and that is why you chooses to respond in such fashion. If not, I would suggest responding to the fan that you think he's being overly critical or that you disagree and why you disagree. This type of response would be informative to the reader.

I appreciate that you make yourself available to these chats as most reporters do not. Its an opportunity for fans to get some insight they would usually not be able to.

Unfortunately, Even though I agree with you most of the time, your 'chat style' and/or attitude is not funny and is a turn-off to me and other die-hard Steeler fans

Grizzled Veteran

Re: I sent this email to Ed Bouchette and to postgazette.com

Postby McLovin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:11 am

Bouchette is not going to be swayed to change based on that email. But hopefully somebody of authority at PG.com will be. Ed's problem is that he wants to be buddies with Tomlin, Colbert, the Rooneys and the players. He will defend that organization come hell or high water. Ed's their little buddy...he's like Chester from the old bug's bunny cartoons. "Hey Spike it's me Chesta, we're best pals aren't we Spike, best pals, right best pal, my old buddy Spike!"

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:48 pm

the long and the short of the ED transcripts is....HE DOES THEM SEVERAL DAYS A WEEK. If he is not allowed to have fun with it...WHY do it??? If you want serious Ed bouchette then watch his twice a week videos.....or read his TEN ARTICLES A WEEK.....

the people that get on his chats are die hard fans who all already read his articles and watch his videos....if they then say something stupid....which they inevitably do as they drink 24 hours a day.....ED BOUCHETTE gets to have some fun with it.

you dont like it....DONT READ THE CHAT TRANSCRIPT.

now GET OFF BOUCHETTES JOCK BEEHOTCH! Ed knows more about the steelers than anyone here and he knows a lot of inside stuff he CANT print as opposing teams would get ideas of future gameplans .....ed knows the whos and whys of a lot of injuries and other things. he just cant tell all....

ps your email to him sounded like my whiney bitch girlfriend ......fyi......please rectify.....

:sucope: :subngtowl: :subngtowl: :sufootballhelmet: :subngtowl: :subngtowl: :sucope:

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby stillcello » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:00 pm

I thought some of the questions asked were not stupid, but thoughtful questions. Sometimes Ed gives good answers to those questions, and sometimes he gives smart-ass rude answers. Some of the questions are stupid, but others are stuff not addressed in his articles and sometimes he give us great info not in his articles, which is great. If the fans like the smart-ass answers...then great. I'd love to hear real answers vs. smart-ass answers, but that's just me.

As for Ed knowing more than any of us here... of course.. why would I read his stuff otherwise. I don't expect him to give away any trade secrets either, just his opinion about things that go right and wrong in each game, etc... stuff like that.

Also, I really don't care about Ed's enjoyment level when it comes to this stuff. The point I was making is that some chatters are putting effort into their questions and they (at least some of them) would like an answer that has some effort put into it...

Thanks for the whiney bitch characterization... much appreciated.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:05 pm

hahaha hey you know man....we all fans here....and we love rantin and ravin.... im just having fun with you.

merely at your expense :sufu:

heres to the steelers :cheers:

:subngtowl:

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby stillcello » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:25 pm

I gotcha

:o

go stillers!

Return to Stillers Talk