Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » New Article: Loose Slag from The Still Mill

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

New Article: Loose Slag from The Still Mill

Postby StillMill » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:52 pm

Loose Slag from The Still Mill has been posted by Still Mill at Stillers.com.

Practice Squad

Re: New Article: Loose Slag from The Still Mill

Postby yostland98 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:13 am

CAN YOU PLEASE TAKE OVER FOR THAT LAME ASS BOUCHETTE! NOTE TO BOUCHETTE: YOUR TAKING OXYGEN FROM SOMEBODY WHO MIGHT HAVE A FORMULATED OPINION AND IS WILLING TO DO THE WORK! UNBELIEVABLE. DONATE YOUR PAYCHECKS TO A CHARITY. YOU SURE HELLS HAVENT EARNED THEM.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:28 am

It's obvious that Tomlin regards Ben and the QB position as special and not like the other players or positions that miss practice.

I have to agree with Mill, it's time for Ben to be able to practice consistently before he plays.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:03 am

Nel wrote:It's obvious that Tomlin regards Ben and the QB position as special and not like the other players or positions that miss practice.

I have to agree with Mill, it's time for Ben to be able to practice consistently before he plays.

And Tomlin now agrees.

From ESPN.com:

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger continues to deal with his injured right shoulder and was described as day to day. If Roethlisberger is able to practice this week, Tomlin said he likely will start Sunday.

Tomlin indicated that Roethlisberger would have to practice more this week if he's going to play, pointing out timing and cohesion issues in the Colts game.

"It's important that you practice and get physical reps," Tomlin said. "One of the things we've been dealing with in regards to his situation is a little short-term misery, if you will."

Grizzled Veteran

Postby stillgrill » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:36 am

Mill - you'd luv Smizik's article today in PG. "Don't blame Arians..."

I sent Smizik an email (if he even knows how to use email?) blasting him. His rationale of the trainwreck 2nd qtr INT was that the play worked before. Umm, Bob, do ya think they might've recoginized that formation? He also said the runs by Moore was justified because fans would've fumed if a pass didn't work. My gawd, Dungy even said they knew what was coming & he is almost never forthright about things like that. Smizik needs to sit on his porch & sip lemonade - what a dum bass.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:49 am

The time for people making excuses for Tomlin being young is over. Did Cowher get this kind of patience from the pundits in his second year? You don't have to be Vince Lombardi to figure out that if your $100 million qb is so injured that he can't practice you don't play him. Especially when his backup led the team to a second half victory against a quality team the week before. Especially when the backup has plenty of experience playing the Colts and has a career 98 passer rating against them. Keep ripping Arians Mill. McLovin only hopes that the Rooneys on some twisted level share your opinions of him.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:07 am

The route was there...if Ben had gotten the ball out on time, there was ZERO risk to the play.

Holmes got immediate inside position on Ratliffe- the ball should have been thrown when Holmes was at the 20, not the 30.

Ben gets the ball out on time, and that play is going for six (safety help was not over there yet).

Even AFTER the hesitation, if Ben throws that ball with loft, Santonio has a nice gainer with potential to go for six (safety help was there, but Holmes makes a move and he could potentially get past him).

This idea that you ALWAYS have to be unpredictable leads to loss of flow in the offense. Sometimes, you just exploit mismatches, even IF the opposing defense knows what you're going to do.

Holmes beat his man- Ben hesitated because he was looking at the rush that was coming up the middle (and was PICKED UP) rather than looking downfield at Holmes (who was his PRIMARY READ on the play).

There was nothing risky about the play at all- the mismatch was there to be exploited, and Ben fucked up the timing.

Get on Arians for things he should be gotten on (like his goal-line play-calling- although even THERE, Kemo screwed the pooch by falling off the block on Foster)...but not for this play.

The 1st-half INT was a Ben fuck-up and nothing more.
Last edited by Jeemie on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:08 am

McLovin wrote:The time for people making excuses for Tomlin being young is over. Did Cowher get this kind of patience from the pundits in his second year? You don't have to be Vince Lombardi to figure out that if your $100 million qb is so injured that he can't practice you don't play him. Especially when his backup led the team to a second half victory against a quality team the week before. Especially when the backup has plenty of experience playing the Colts and has a career 98 passer rating against them. Keep ripping Arians Mill. McLovin only hopes that the Rooneys on some twisted level share your opinions of him.

Um...yeah...actually, Cowher DID get that kind of patience from pundits in his second year.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:08 am

stillgrill wrote:Mill - you'd luv Smizik's article today in PG. "Don't blame Arians..."

I sent Smizik an email (if he even knows how to use email?) blasting him. His rationale of the trainwreck 2nd qtr INT was that the play worked before. Umm, Bob, do ya think they might've recoginized that formation? He also said the runs by Moore was justified because fans would've fumed if a pass didn't work. My gawd, Dungy even said they knew what was coming & he is almost never forthright about things like that. Smizik needs to sit on his porch & sip lemonade - what a dum bass.

Dungy knew what was coming on the goal-line plays. Not sure about that 2nd quarter INT.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:21 am

Jeemie wrote:
McLovin wrote:.

Um...yeah...actually, Cowher DID get that kind of patience from pundits in his second year.

McLovin just doesn't recall Cowher ever being referred to as young and needing to learn the way Tomlin has been in his early tenure. It's like if he makes a mistake like he did this week...its ok he's young and still learning. Sorry but either Cowher did not make these lame errors in judgement or McLovin has selective hearing. The Internet and all this other crap wasn't around then to hear as much feedback. ESPN didn't have non-stop NFL talk like they do now. No NFL Network. All McLovin had was the PG and Stan and Guy to hear opinions and they weren't cutting Cowher slack the way they are Tomlin. Only the fans rip Tomlin, certainly not Ed Bouchette or Bob Smizik and certainly not any of the talking heads on ESPN or NFL Network.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:25 am

McLovin wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
McLovin wrote:.

McLovin just doesn't recall Cowher ever being referred to as young and needing to learn the way Tomlin has been in his early tenure. It's like if he makes a mistake like he did this week...its ok he's young and still learning. Sorry but either Cowher did not make these lame errors in judgement or McLovin has selective hearing. The Internet and all this other crap wasn't around then to hear as much feedback. ESPN didn't have non-stop NFL talk like they do now. No NFL Network. All McLovin had was the PG and Stan and Guy to hear opinions and they weren't cutting Cowher slack the way they are Tomlin. Only the fans rip Tomlin, certainly not Ed Bouchette or Bob Smizik and certainly not any of the talking heads on ESPN or NFL Network.

McLovin must not have been listening back then..Cowher was cut plenty of slack.

Remember, they went from 11-5 to 9-7 in Cowher's second year...and I didn't hear anyone complaining about Cowher for them slipping up in poerformance like that.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:56 am

Jeemie wrote:
McLovin must not have been listening back then..Cowher was cut plenty of slack.

Remember, they went from 11-5 to 9-7 in Cowher's second year...and I didn't hear anyone complaining about Cowher for them slipping up in poerformance like that.

McLovin drunk as hell up at Edinboro which at that time a Playboy top 10 party school so Jeem may be right. But McLovin digresses...Cowher had it good and he had bad. He Had it bad because he had to replace a legend in Chuck Noll. But he also had it good because he got to replace Chuck Noll who bascially took the decade of the 80's off and the team had been in a playoff drought. Cowher made the playoffs in those first 2 seasons. His assistant coaches were not criticized the way Tomlins are. McLovin thinks Cowher the superior coach his first year and half compared to Tomlin not based on record just more of a feeling that Cowher had the team heading in the right direction. McLovin believes Cowher had better coaches than Tomlin particularly with the veteran running guru Ron Earharndt. Tomlin kind of kept status quo from Cowhers last staff and has fresh stigma of a team coming off Super Bowl win and a qb who had terrible season due to mc accident to contend with. Lot of variables, but Cowher NOT coddled for being young by the pundits the way Tomlin is.

Practice Squad

Postby steph12 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:09 pm

I've been a fan since their first trip to the Super Bowl and one thing that has been part of the organizations keys to success has been their committment to the running game and defense. Ben Roethlisberger cannot be asked to throw the ball more than 25 times per game even when he is healthy. I understand the money that they've invested in him but the losses cannot be allowed to add up to the point we'll miss the playoffs. The team doesn't have an identity on offense and is barely hanging on to their identity on defense! I'm very tired of seeing 3rd and say 11's and the opponents gaining 15 to 20. If you're going to blitz then blitz...enough of the disguises and just committ to it. We had the Giants beaten and we let them hang around that game for too long. We had the Colts beaten again and we let Big Ben literally throw the game away. I'm way out here on Long Island and while I do try to make it to Pittsburgh at least once a year I can't in good conscience go and waste my money this year. The next 8 games are going to be even tougher than everybody thinks. The offensive coordinator calls three straight running plays up the gut with a back that's no more than 190lbs yet he calls a passing play against the Colts just before the half was winding down! This is starting to look like the Chan Gailey offense and Ron Erhardt. Are they joking?.........We have a second string QB that should be starting anywhere else and he proved he can play when he brought the Steelers to victory. Thank goodness Ben got hurt that game because we weren't going anywhere with him that game. I don't care how much Roethlisberger practices this week because I wouldn't play him at all. In fact, until he proves that he can throw the ball more than 25 yards he should be on the bench. He's making more and more horrible decisions and I can see the "love affair" that's endeared him with the fans over the years ending rather abruptly. Hint to the coaching staff: 2009 draft-Look for a QB.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:28 pm

steph12 wrote: Hint to the coaching staff: 2009 draft-Look for a QB.

Steph, Steph, Steph...you poor bastard. Welcome to Stillers.com :sushootem:

Practice Squad

Postby steph12 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:42 pm

thanks for the gracious welcome! lol. I think the guy is done. There was a QB in NY here and while he's doing okay in Miami her had the same problem. No arm strength. The media and the opponents battered him until the big Tuna down in there gave him a job. It would be wise to start adding to their bench strength. I'm new to this site but I'm not new to Steeler football. Not by a long shot

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:48 pm

steph12 wrote:thanks for the gracious welcome! lol. I think the guy is done. There was a QB in NY here and while he's doing okay in Miami her had the same problem. No arm strength. The media and the opponents battered him until the big Tuna down in there gave him a job. It would be wise to start adding to their bench strength. I'm new to this site but I'm not new to Steeler football. Not by a long shot

Why in the world would you think Ben's arm strength is gone forever?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:57 pm

steph12 wrote:. I'm new to this site but I'm not new to Steeler football. Not by a long shot

:? UHHHHH apparently you are new to Steeler football or else you would know that Ben has a thumb and shoulder injury.

Practice Squad

Postby steph12 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:05 pm

I know about his thumb but apparently to the coaching staff that's not the big deal....have you ever injured your shoulder at all? you can't hide from the pain and you certainly don't have the arm strength. but i'm sure your the model of health and can talk to health issues....right doctor? so let's think about this....banged up shoulder for weeks, bad thumb, no practice and he's better than a healthy leftwich! you're a seasoned vet on here....perhaps you should apply for a position on the staff. again...get some bench strength....it's the way of the business world.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:10 pm

steph12 wrote:I know about his thumb but apparently to the coaching staff that's not the big deal....have you ever injured your shoulder at all? you can't hide from the pain and you certainly don't have the arm strength. but i'm sure your the model of health and can talk to health issues....right doctor? so let's think about this....banged up shoulder for weeks, bad thumb, no practice and he's better than a healthy leftwich! you're a seasoned vet on here....perhaps you should apply for a position on the staff. again...get some bench strength....it's the way of the business world.

:? Steph's issues are with Tomlin not McLovin.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:22 pm

steph12 wrote:I know about his thumb but apparently to the coaching staff that's not the big deal....have you ever injured your shoulder at all? you can't hide from the pain and you certainly don't have the arm strength. but i'm sure your the model of health and can talk to health issues....right doctor? so let's think about this....banged up shoulder for weeks, bad thumb, no practice and he's better than a healthy leftwich! you're a seasoned vet on here....perhaps you should apply for a position on the staff. again...get some bench strength....it's the way of the business world.

I didn't ask you why he might not have arm strength RIGHT NOW.

I asked you why you thought his arm strength is gone FOREVER (which is what I thought you were implying by saying "Ben's done").

I know I'm not a doctor.

You, however, obviosuly need to work on some reading comprehension skills.

Welcome to stillers.com.

Next

Return to Stillers Talk