Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » New (old) DB signed

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

New (old) DB signed

Postby steelmoney » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:25 pm

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers added depth and experience to their defensive backfield today when they signed 10-year veteran cornerback Fernando Bryant to a one-year contract. Financial terms of the deal were not released.

Bryant (5-10, 175), was originally selected by the Jacksonville Jaguars in the first round (26th overall) of the 1999 NFL Draft. He played five years with the Jaguars (1999-03) and four years with the Detroit Lions (2004-07) before signing with the New England Patriots as a free agent on March 20, 2008. Bryant spent the preseason with New England before being released on Aug. 30.

Bryant has made 109 starts in 110 games played during nine NFL seasons. He has recorded 509 tackles (435 solo), seven interceptions, defended 88 passes and recovered seven fumbles.

Bryant will wear uniform No. 31 for the Steelers.

The Steelers made room on their roster for Bryant by releasing rookie linebacker Donovan Woods. Woods originally signed with the Steelers as an undrafted rookie free agent and made the team’s original 53-man roster. He was released on Oct. 25, but re-signed with the team’s active roster on Nov. 8.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: New (old) DB signed

Postby StainlessStill » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:17 pm

Doesn't look good for Deshea.. he must be pretty banged up. We'll see what this guy has to offer and it seems like he plays pretty healthy ball making 109 starts/110. We'll see how quickly he can adjust and get him on the field ASAP.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:39 pm

The guy is just a body. Cut by Detroit and signed by Pats who are always desperate for corners. Brainless right in that Deshea may be out for awhile. At least McFadden coming back soon to stablilize the secondary.

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:50 pm

Bruant was a solid DB once upon a time. Not a bad signing given what is out there, but certainly makes you wonder why they didn't make a little harder push to sign Deangelo Hall last week.

Practice Squad

Postby yostland98 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:23 am

LETS ALL STAND UP AND SALUTE THE SIGNING OF BRYANT! WTF! HOW OLD IS THIS GUY AND WHERE DID WE GET HIM? HEY COLBERT, SIGN ME UP. I PLAYED 15 YEARS AGO. I CAN RUN A 10 SEC. 40. I CAN BARELY COVER THE LENGTH OF A BAR TO GET A BEER. THAT'S FINE. IF YOUR GIVING OUT FREE MONEY FOR OLD HACKS, I'M IN! CALL MY AGENT, HES LISTED IN THE YELLOW PAGES- UNDER "CHICO'S BAIL BONDS". YOU CAN ALWAYS SAY "WE'RE ADDING DEPTH". RIGHT, DEPTH TO WHAT- A FRIGGIN' RETIREMENT HOME PRACTICE SQUAD FULL OF HACKS. WAY TO GIVE THE KIDS ON THE TEAM A CHANCE. THEYRE NOT THE ONES THAT BLEW THAT LAST TOUCHDAOWN (ALA. FARRIOR: AGE-100).

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Steel_Buckeye » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:02 am

Great, an ex-lion, that is encouraging!
I_STEEL_BELIEVE

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:18 am

why in gods name did we sign this guy?

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby ibleedBLACKandGOLD81 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:38 am

Deangelo Hall was just available, he signed for $500K however he signed with his hometown team and we probably didn't have a real opportunity to sign him. But Ty Law was available until just this past Monday. He could have definitely helped us. Now that the Jets have signed Ty Law, they have released Justin Miller. The release of Justin Miller probably happened after we already signed Fernando but signing Justin Miller would be perfect because he is also a pro bowl return man. He could help at corner and help our below average return game. The Jets already have Leon Washington who is an incredible return man. Miller could be signed off of waivers and his income would only be $227,500 for the rest of the year and this is the last year on his rookie contract so there is no further risk. I hope it somehow happens.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Hoppy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:46 am

Send your post to Dan and his son

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:15 am

Hoppy wrote:Send your post to Dan and his son

Those 2 are too busy trying to buy their own team to worry about Colbert doing his job and finding players that can help this team. Colbert like a kid home alone while his parents are away for the weekend.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:19 am

This must be the phone on Colbert's desk:

Only it's connected to the Lions' front offices, not Commissioner Gordon.

Return to Stillers Talk