Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Deangelo Hall...Steelers interested?!?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Greenhorned Rookie

Deangelo Hall...Steelers interested?!?

Postby ibleedBLACKandGOLD81 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:39 pm

From Shefter's Blog on nfl.com:

"Now that cornerback DeAngelo Hall has gone unclaimed on waivers, look for him to make a decision in the next 24-48 hours.

Teams that are expected to be interested in signing are the New York Giants, Washington Redskins, New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers.

'It’s rare that one of the top players at his position in the game comes free now,' one of Hall’s agents, Joel Segal, said Thursday. 'DeAngelo can be a missing ingredient for any playoff contender that needs a cornerback.

'He’s excited about his potential opportunities and helping a team try to achieve its regular-season and post-season goals.'"

Wow I would be shocked if we signed Deangelo Hall. It just doesn't seem like a move the Steelers would make. From what I've read it seems like he grew up a lot since his Atlanta days but unfortunately it also seems like his level of play went down. I would welcome this with McFadden injured and Deshea not at 100%.

Stillers.com Team

Re: Deangelo Hall...Steelers interested?!?

Postby thesteelhammer » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:57 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/around_the_nfl/post/Source-Playoff-contenders-interested-in-Hall?urn=nfl,120298

Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:03 pm EST

Source: Playoff contenders interested in Hall
By Jason Cole
CB DeAngelo Hall cleared waivers Thursday and quickly heard from three contending teams interested in signing him as a free agent.

The New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers and Washington Redskins all expressed interest in Hall, according to a source close to Hall. A league source confirmed that Washington had contacted Hall, but messages with New England and Pittsburgh were not immediately returned.

The Patriots had been rumored Wednesday to be interested in Hall to help upgrade a secondary depleted by injury and free agent departures. The Patriots lost both Randall Gay and Asante Samuel in the offseason when they signed with other teams. Current Patriots Ellis Hobbs and Lewis Sanders have either been limited or have not participated at all in practice this week. In addition, backup Terrence Wheatley also is on the injury report.

Likewise, the Steelers and Redskins have dealt with injuries in their secondaries. Washington could especially appeal to Hall, who grew up in Chesapeake, Va.

Hall was released by Oakland after what was perceived as poor play this season. However, the move was still stunning given that the Raiders paid him $8 million already this season and had traded a second-round pick to Atlanta in the offseason to get him. Hall was perceived as one of the prized catches of an aggressive offseason for owner Al Davis.

But Davis moved to let go of Hall, who was eligible for a $16 million bonus this offseason if he was injured. Hall's performance ranked near the bottom of the league, according to statistical data kept by Stats Inc. and other services. Hall did have three interceptions, including an acrobatic pick in a one-point loss at Buffalo earlier this season.

According to two friends, Hall is aware that his play has fallen this season and has vowed to improve.

"He's hurting big-time," one friend said. "I think all the stuff that happened in Oakland really distracted him. He was hoping they were going to be good and they weren't, and when (Atlanta) started playing well, it hurt him."

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby TheOldRanger » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:42 am

The Ravens are said to be interested in Hall, as well. With Chris McAllister on the shelf, and maybe done, and Samari Rolle looking at the prime of his career in the rearview mirror, they could make a play for him.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:33 am

Does the #1 pass defense need help from a proven malcontent? He's no Pacman in that regard but he is a complainer and distraction the team doesn't need. Be patient McFadden will be back soon and although McLovin's fellow Mc doesn't have the repuation Hall USED to have as a player Mc showing this year he is the better corner than D Hall.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Snockered Pedestrian » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:31 am

Re: DeAngelo Hall

Living in Hokie Nation, maybe this can lend a little more insight as to whether the FO puts
him in Black & Gold:

In big games, at least at VPI&SU, he disappeared as a cover man.
Can make the highlight-film play but not the routine solid game.
A frequent person of interest on the Blacksburg PD blotter.
Coach Beamer encouraged him to come out early to get rid of him.

Also remember, Hines Ward abused him (8 catches, 136 yds, 2 TD, if memory serves me correctly) in the Georgia Dome in the game when Ben got cheap-shotted and no call was made.

Don't do it, Kevin. Another Roberto Duran.

Practice Squad

Postby CTSteeler » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:30 pm

I'm with McLovin.
Why try to fix what's not broken?

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Crosby4Life » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:13 pm

CTSteeler:

What's the "CT" in your alias stand for? Conemaugh Township? Connecticut maybe?

I went to high school school at Conemaugh Township, so that's why I ask. Just a wild shot in the dark, of course.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby darthsteel » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:18 pm

the guy has all pro talent, maybe he is the type that needs to be on a contender to play to his potential. He has played on 2 awfull teams over the last 3 yrs and he was a pro bowl calibre corner his first 2 seasons when the falcolns were contenders.

I would take a chance since the stillers mite lose mcfadden at the end of the season and townsend is gonna be done in a yr or 2 which leaves a open spot at that position.

worst case scenerio the steelers cut him after seeing him up close for the next 8 weeks , best case they have an all-pro on thier hands and the corner spot solid for the next 5 yrs.

plus he is only 24 yrs old!

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:42 pm

McLovin just doesn't see it happening darth. The Raiders one of the most disfunctional orginizations in sports and they've had enough of the guy. Why would the Steelers want Raider trash? Hall clearly an overrated player. A desperate team like the Cowboys may give him a shot. McLovin doesn't see the Steelers as in desperate need of corner help this year. Next year, as darth says with McFadden a FA and Townsend on the decline is a different story.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby deltadweller » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:46 pm

Skins

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3688600

Even though DeAngelo Hall wanted to take the weekend to consider 15 or more scenarios for a new team, the cornerback decided Friday to accept a one-year deal from the Washington Redskins, according to his agent, Joel Segal. According to a source, Hall agreed to a one-year deal that is worth $492,000 for the remainder of the season.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby indysteel » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:13 pm

Although it looks like he signed with the Skins, singing someone like this would never occur.

First, it makes some sense. BMac out, Townsend on the downside, this makes sense --- the upside is pretty good. The downside? Not much.

Second, why worry about injuries? I mean, you know, they had a PUNTER with TWO bad hammies.......yep, let's go with him against the Skins. Did I dream this? Then, after he has an average of about 30 some yards (who would have guessed it), THEN they cut him. So....what really happened is WE PUT THE REDSKIN GAME AT RISK. We won....but I will tell you this --- had that been a better quality team, with that kind of field position early on, I'm not sure we would have won.

Third, why on earth would we bring someone on that ACTUALLY HAS some proven skills. They would much rather run out and grab a teacher or a cab driver and start them at CB. Then numbnut Tomlin can vomit out the usual blather about "upside" "....he's making strides..."

No.....we'll stick with what we have and not attempt to upgrade. Don't be silly.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:31 pm

indysteel wrote:Although it looks like he signed with the Skins, singing someone like this would never occur.

First, it makes some sense. BMac out, Townsend on the downside, this makes sense --- the upside is pretty good. The downside? Not much.

Second, why worry about injuries? I mean, you know, they had a PUNTER with TWO bad hammies.......yep, let's go with him against the Skins. Did I dream this? Then, after he has an average of about 30 some yards (who would have guessed it), THEN they cut him. So....what really happened is WE PUT THE REDSKIN GAME AT RISK. We won....but I will tell you this --- had that been a better quality team, with that kind of field position early on, I'm not sure we would have won.

Third, why on earth would we bring someone on that ACTUALLY HAS some proven skills. They would much rather run out and grab a teacher or a cab driver and start them at CB. Then numbnut Tomlin can vomit out the usual blather about "upside" "....he's making strides..."

No.....we'll stick with what we have and not attempt to upgrade. Don't be silly.

The above post is a steaming pile of nonsense.

It claims the Steelers' personnel moves make no sense, that the team does not care about injuries to key players, and that the Steelers do not add to the team any players who have proven skills.

There is a fine line between sarcasm and lunacy, and that poster just crossed it.

:D

Grizzled Veteran

Postby indysteel » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:15 am

Nel --

Your right -- it is nonsense. I was being sarcastic.

I don't think I'm the first poster on this board to ever question personnel moves by the Steelers.

Are you suggesting that they kept Berger and playing him Monday night was the correct decision? Are you suggesting they are "well stocked" and trying to add talent during the year is something they don't need to deal with?

I fully understand how this team operates. I also understand we don't want other teams problems. However, it is prudent, from time-to-time, to pick someone up that might be able to help us. In this case, the downside is modest and from what I can tell, he was acquired for a relatively modest amount.

Thought of another way, if either Taylor or Townsend go down, who is our starting corner? That's what I thought.

I don't know, maybe they can only concentrate on one player at a time....the need to replace Berger -- WHICH THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE TWO WEEKS AGO -- consumed all of their time and they couldn't focus on a DB like Hall.

Return to Stillers Talk