Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Steelers playing "nice" with Berger???

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

Steelers playing "nice" with Berger???

Postby dave8105 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:22 pm

Just a wild theory, but I caught this bit of info in the post-gazette:

"Berger, 36, had hamstring injuries that pestered him the past two games and was inconsistent through eight. He averaged 41.9 yards gross and 38.1 net on 42 punts. As a vested veteran who was on the roster for their opener, he will be paid his full salary for the season."

full article here http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08311/925822-66.stm

What are the chances that Tomlin/Steelers let Berger play this last week knowing he was going to be gimpy, just so he could get his full season salary?

If this actually did happen, sure that is a nice thing to do, but I'm not to thrilled about jeopardizing the outcome of the game. But like I said, its just an out there crazy theory of mine.

Grizzled Veteran

Re: Steelers playing "nice" with Berger???

Postby Coke Oven » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:53 pm

If they did that it could pay dividends as far as team morale goes. Could spark the team to really put out the extra effort. Smart move.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:02 pm

The Rooney's didn't earn their reputation for being one of the best owners in the NFL by screwing players out of money. McLovin glad that he is on the field earning his money...if the Rooney's were overly generous and just paid him out of "kindness" then less than reputable players would be faking injury knowing old man Rooney has a good heart and would pay. This sets a good example to the team. Play and you'll get your money. If Berger was really hurting the team Tomlin would surely replace him. He's not even our regular punter so no loss to cut him if posters theory is correct very generous by the Rooneys

Practice Squad

Postby dave8105 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:51 am

All I'm saying is, with how gimpy he played in Mondays game, it seems a bit odd that he could beat out another punter in the week prior to the game. I just think they basically ask him, can you make it one more game? Just so he could get his full years pay. Again, they did bring in Ricky Schmitt to play if Berger couldn't do it. So either Schmitt kicked like S*it or Berger got the benefit of the doubt from the team.

:sufootballhelmet:

Return to Stillers Talk