Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Why can't we learn?

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Practice Squad

Why can't we learn?

Postby rubixqb69 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:02 pm

I have been a Steelers fan since I was very young. I have never been very good at statistics or quoting specific games as examples. This will be my first and most likely last topic. I have been a lurker for a while. I have been reading a lot about how it is the O-line's problem, how it is Ben's problem, how it is poor play calling and even the good old "well they were facing the number one D in the league". Now as I understand how things go we have a "scout" team pretend to be the opponents for the following week and we practice against them. Again, I may be wrong, it is just my understanding.

I wonder how this POTENT offence fairs against our defense? It has been my understanding that they might be pretty good. In fact other than an issue of age or injury, or a couple of 12 crazy monkeys thinking Troy is not great, the Defense is wholeheartedly supported.

Now I know that our blitzing fast D has had some issues with teams that can use the TE, quick slant or RB screen, but I think talent wise that the only place that any other team can significantly outrank us is on the D-Line. Even then it may just be the difference in needs for a 3-4 or a 4-3. Again, I am no genius, but what if we just tried to learn from our mistakes?

I mean have all the teams that have lit up the Steelers D just have All-Pros from LT to RT? I would think that from the beginning of training camp we knew what our offensive weaknesses were and had tape on teams that exploited our D in the same way that we need to exploit other teams fast blitzing D's. And whether you like it or not through draft and/or FA we have every tool do to other teams what they do unto us. Big, fast, great handed TE? We got 2 of those (maybe not real fast). Quick, agile, sure handed RB? We have that. WR that can make quick cuts and has developed a rapport with the QB? We have 2 (When one is not smoking). WR able to catch a quick slant? Giving the benefit of the doubt, we have 5. Can we execute the no-huddle? For about 5-6 successful plays then we have to stop and start being ineffective.

Is it a problem that Ben holds the ball too long? Yes. Does the o-line suck? Yes. Do great teams’ game plan and overcome these problems? Yes. I think that Ben can read a blitz after a few year practicing against a defense from Blitzburgh. I think that his problem is either that he thinks he has to win every game by himself or that he really thinks he can get away from anyone holding on to him.

The beauty is that if we can get him to do these things, the things that come naturally will still be there and be much more effective. At the time to listen to the Steeler nation at the time we had one of the dumbest, backward, trade him for anybody QB's in the world at one time. I think that four rings later there is not a one of us that would change how that went.

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Why can't we learn?

Postby Steelhope » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:11 pm

I was with ya til the last paragraph.....what?

Stillers.com Team

Postby thesteelhammer » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:18 pm

Welcome to the board, rubix

Practice Squad

Postby StillCurtain » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:37 am

It's a combination of two things really in my opinion:

1. Our schemes / adjustments suck (cough... Arians)
2. We don't have the personal to adjust and at times can become one dimensional.

It wasn't that long ago when Tom Brady's first play against us was from the shotgun, or when teams were stacking 8 in the box and wanting our QB to beat them.

I think the Stillers have come a long way since that time and have tremendous depth and have shown an ability to adjust in big games. It's mid season, let's see how Ben looks in December. Attrition is part of the game and if the Stillers can be healthy going into the tournament (if we should be so fortunate) I think we will match up great against any team we face.

The Steelers from this point on are playing a lot of solid teams that are either good or desperate. We will soon find out if we have a championship caliber team that can pull in more then one Super Bowl in a decade.

The Blonde Bomber was awesome, you probably never watched more then four games of his. :D

Welcome to the board... and yeah, you did throw me off at the end as well.
Last edited by StillCurtain on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are Two kinds of people in life, those that like the Stillers... and those that wish they did!" - a Wise Man

Practice Squad

Postby rubixqb69 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:11 am

I actually watched quite a few of his games, but i remember a time when the blonde nomber was booed and on the verge of being ushered out of the league. I was just trying to make a point to some of the Ben haters that sometimes you just don't know what you have until later. I think that Ben can lead us to the same type of greatness, IF he is coached the right way and he listens. Similar to Terry, he did not even like Coach Noll. Ben doesn't need to like his coaches, he just need to learn from them. I just don't know if Anderson/Arians can do it.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby TheOldRanger » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:38 am

A lot of people hated Bradshaw early in his career, and I remember the boos, the experts whining that the kid was a doofus, he'd never learn to read defenses, his arm is unreliable, his passes scattershot, etc. The experts and wise guys wanted Hanratty to start. How fucking many Lombardis would we have collected with Biggie Rat at QB?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:23 pm

"Similar to Terry, he did not even like Coach Noll. Ben doesn't need to like his coaches, he just need to learn from them. I just don't know if Anderson/Arians can do it."

Have I missed something? Are there coaches that Ben dislikes? WTF?

Practice Squad

Postby rubixqb69 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:10 pm

I mis-spoke. The consensus is that we got rid of Whiz because Ben did not like him. And I believe that we should have tried to keep him, but we could not have kept him and gotten Tomlin, so all in all I am happy with the decision. I really feel that Bens' feeling should not play into our decision for a coach. We should get the best availible to play with the stengths of the team. I also may fear that the current staff may care about how he feels or be more inclined to do things his way. Rather than coaching him on ways to exploit blitzes so that when they stop blitzing so much he can use his natural ability to avoid the "normal" rushes to extend the plays.

Really there aren't many options as to why we have not made the adjustments.

1. The entire organization does not include one person that equals the intelligence of many of the fans on this site and the sports media.

2. Ben can't make the adjustments that are required.

3. They have seen the problems and know the solution, but have decided to allow Ben to try to "play" through the way that he wants.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:03 pm

rubixqb69 wrote:I mis-spoke. The consensus is that we got rid of Whiz because Ben did not like him. And I believe that we should have tried to keep him, but we could not have kept him and gotten Tomlin, so all in all I am happy with the decision. I really feel that Bens' feeling should not play into our decision for a coach. We should get the best availible to play with the stengths of the team. I also may fear that the current staff may care about how he feels or be more inclined to do things his way. Rather than coaching him on ways to exploit blitzes so that when they stop blitzing so much he can use his natural ability to avoid the "normal" rushes to extend the plays.

Really there aren't many options as to why we have not made the adjustments.

1. The entire organization does not include one person that equals the intelligence of many of the fans on this site and the sports media.

2. Ben can't make the adjustments that are required.

3. They have seen the problems and know the solution, but have decided to allow Ben to try to "play" through the way that he wants.

I think the Stillers offensive line just sucks, and that you over analyze the situation.

Look at how the repeatedly rejected and recycled QB Kerry Collins is playing for the Titans.

He's playing well because the Tennessee O-line is great.

Return to Stillers Talk