Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » The botched punt snap was irrelevant....

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Greenhorned Rookie

The botched punt snap was irrelevant....

Postby zapunto » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:48 pm

Why all the talk about this play? The play ended up being largely irrelevant in the end, I think.

Let's just say Harrison had executed a perfect snap. Berger would have been punting from his own 5-yard line with a 2 point lead, as opposed to the free kick from the 20. Chances are the Giants would have gotten similar field position on the punt, and with the way specials played, worse.

Let's not excuse the defense for allowing the Giants to drive on them in the 4th quarter with the game tied. No one can speculate that they would have played any differently, or schemed any differently than if they were up 2. This sucks to say as a Steeler fan, but I knew we were had once Tyrone Carter replaced Ryan Clark in the game -- Clark has his deficiencies but isn't as slow and clumsy as Tyrone in coverage.

-c-

Grizzled Veteran

Re: The botched punt snap was irrelevant....

Postby McLovin » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:57 pm

Everybody is talking about it because we had a 14-12 lead and unless McLovin's math is off a safety is worth 2 points giving the Giants the tie and the ball back making it far from an irrelevant play. Everybody is talking about it because our two centers Hartwig and Stapleton weren't backup long snappers an OLB was and it looked his first time trying it. While one play rarely determines the outcome of a game giving the giants 2 gift points certainly didn't help matters.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Crosby4Life » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:22 pm

I'd probably have to agree with zapunto here.

Yes, the safety tied the game and gave them the ball. But what happens if we actually do get that punt off? They would have still had the ball, and they obviously had no problem marching down the field and scoring the go-ahead TD. So, in the end, we would have been in the exact same situation that we were in anyways. The only difference would have been the final score.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby catesinator » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:34 pm

Please. Giving fault to the defense for any aspect of this loss is total bullshit. I agree the botched punt snap wasn't as big a deal as it's been made out. To me, the game was lost after we had 3 straight penalties after we drove into Giants territory in the 3rd quarter that cost us not only 30 yards but a first down in field goal range (while Warren was still healthy) and then after that the TD pass to Washington. Those penalties at that juncture were the killer. We score a FG there to go up 17-9 or the TD to go up 21-9, then we have a stranglehold on the game IMO. Instead we punt and we never sniff scoring range again the rest of the game.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:59 pm

Crosby4Life wrote: But what happens if we actually do get that punt off? They would have still had the ball, and they obviously had no problem marching down the field and scoring the go-ahead TD. .

The safety changed the momentum of the game. You don't know they would've scored had we gotten the punt off. Hell the return man could've fumbled there couldve been roughing the kicker. Point is nobody knows what COULD have happened. The Defense was playing inspired football until Clark went down anyway. McLovin saw a tremendous goal line stand led by Clark and Aaron smith playing with a heavy heart keep one of the best goal line running backs in Jacobs out of the end zone. Clark made a hell of a play knocking Steve Smith off a sure touchdown pass. Unforturnately our hyped pass rush was absent today but McLovin told ya all last week Giants have one of best lines in the league certainly better than the Bungles. Even without the pass rush the D was holding Eli and co. to field goals for the better part of the game and thats with turnovers setting the Giants up in great field position. Catsinator correct in that untimely penalties big key to this loss. We sure saw some undisciplined play by Colon and his offensive teammates. Shame on Mike Tomlin. He said he learned from the Philly game. It was like watching the same game all over again.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby zapunto » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:09 pm

catesinator wrote:Please. Giving fault to the defense for any aspect of this loss is total bullshit. I agree the botched punt snap wasn't as big a deal as it's been made out. To me, the game was lost after we had 3 straight penalties after we drove into Giants territory in the 3rd quarter that cost us not only 30 yards but a first down in field goal range (while Warren was still healthy) and then after that the TD pass to Washington. Those penalties at that juncture were the killer. We score a FG there to go up 17-9 or the TD to go up 21-9, then we have a stranglehold on the game IMO. Instead we punt and we never sniff scoring range again the rest of the game.

I'm not BLAMING the defense for anything - all I merely said was that the botched snap barely changed the outcome of the game. Indeed, you are correct in pointing out a very overlooked turning point of the game, stupid inexcusable penalties on Ward (illegal formation?) and Kemoeatu and then the holding penalty on Colon that negated the TD.

I didn't see the illegal formation call on Ward, but the penalty could have easily been someone else who WAS supposed to line up on the line. Maybe Ward was doind the right thing. I don't have the tape on this, though...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby StillDodger » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:59 am

catesinator wrote:Please. Giving fault to the defense for any aspect of this loss is total bullshit. I agree the botched punt snap wasn't as big a deal as it's been made out. To me, the game was lost after we had 3 straight penalties after we drove into Giants territory in the 3rd quarter that cost us not only 30 yards but a first down in field goal range (while Warren was still healthy) and then after that the TD pass to Washington. Those penalties at that juncture were the killer. We score a FG there to go up 17-9 or the TD to go up 21-9, then we have a stranglehold on the game IMO. Instead we punt and we never sniff scoring range again the rest of the game.

Give this man a cigar. :suplusone: One of only few comments on that game that is dead-on.

Correct me if I wrong, but wasn't it that ensuing punt play where Warren got hurt?
Whenever Tom Brady loses, it's always someone else's fault.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby rick723 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:50 pm

zapunto wrote:Why all the talk about this play? The play ended up being largely irrelevant in the end, I think.

Let's just say Harrison had executed a perfect snap. Berger would have been punting from his own 5-yard line with a 2 point lead, as opposed to the free kick from the 20. Chances are the Giants would have gotten similar field position on the punt, and with the way specials played, worse.

Let's not excuse the defense for allowing the Giants to drive on them in the 4th quarter with the game tied. No one can speculate that they would have played any differently, or schemed any differently than if they were up 2. This sucks to say as a Steeler fan, but I knew we were had once Tyrone Carter replaced Ryan Clark in the game -- Clark has his deficiencies but isn't as slow and clumsy as Tyrone in coverage.

-c-

So instead we excuse the offence for keeping the defence on the field?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:43 pm

McLovin wrote:Everybody is talking about it because we had a 14-12 lead and unless McLovin's math is off a safety is worth 2 points giving the Giants the tie and the ball back making it far from an irrelevant play. Everybody is talking about it because our two centers Hartwig and Stapleton weren't backup long snappers an OLB was and it looked his first time trying it. While one play rarely determines the outcome of a game giving the giants 2 gift points certainly didn't help matters.

Anyone who's complaining about our centers not being back-up long snappers doesn't know shit.

Long-snapping is an entirely different skill set. How many times does this have to be repeated?

And while it may have been Harrison's first time doing it in a game, it had perfect form for a long snap- it was just too high.

Everyone has to do something for the first time. The idea that Harrison shouldn't have been used because he'd never done it in a real game is ludicrous. Absolutely ludicrous.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:20 pm

zapunto wrote:Why all the talk about this play? The play ended up being largely irrelevant in the end, I think.

-c-

The idea of irrelevancy is idiotic.

Points are especially relevant, and each play in a game is relevant.

Speculation about what else could have happened is meaningless, unless you live in dream time.

Return to Stillers Talk