Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Monday Morning Rants

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Monday Morning Rants

Postby BigE » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:41 am

Here's what I'm burning about this morning.

We were told all week by the bobbleheads in the Pittsburgh media that now was the time that we would all see Dick's exotic blitz packages. The Stillers were now into their "varsity" schedule so they would pull out all the stops now. However, for some reason these exotic blitzes look very similar to the regular blitz packages in that they both require the oncoming blitzer to lock horns with the opposing pass blockers and generate no pressure whatsoever. Up until now, Dick's "shemes" have had nothing to do with Jamie and Lamarr racking up sacks, those 2 players win a lot of individual matchups and it has become apparent that Dick, for most of his career, has padded his stats against average offenses, ie., Baltimore 2x a year, Cleveland 2x a year and the Bungals, 2x a year. When this senile bafoon faces real competition he fails every single time. The bobbleheads will tell you that Dick was "masterful" in slowing the Giants run game down and that he was "masterful" at keeping Eli off balance. This is all total bullshit the that media continues to feed us. Is anyone besides myself sick and tired of seeing Troy run to the line of scrimmage like an out of control locomotive and then run back into coverage, that really fools me. Not once have I seen Troy actually blitz the quarterback. And not to mention it, I don't believe the Stillers defense has forced a turnover in the last 3 games, 0 against the G-men, 0 against the winless Bungals, and 0 against Jacksonville, way to go DICK!! Way to confuse the opposing offenses, your the man!!!

I continue to believe that Roth is a quality quarterback that has to play with a below average offensive line, unlike his fellow qb's such as both Manning's, Brady, Rivers, Cutler and so on. At lease these teams recogize that you have to have a solid offensive line in front of your franchise qb. However, it is becoming more and more apparent the Roth has trouble with blitzing teams, it seems as though he can't pick up his hot reads fast enough and doesn't read the blitz very well at all. He holds the ball way too long, and I for one am not willing (as Tomlin says) to take the good with the bad. 2 of the 5 sacks yesterday for Roth's fault totally.

Boneheaded coaching moves that continue to lose ballgames for this team. The bobbleheads will tell you that snapping for a punt is far different than snapping for the offense. I cannot and will not believe that Hartwig was incapable of snapping the ball back to the one-legged punter Berger. You snap the fucking ball and block, how much different can it be. Hartwig snaps from the shotgun formation, so snap the ball an extra 10 yards, what a complete joke. Different or not, i'd rather have my center snapping the ball then someone who has NEVER snapped before.

Practice Squad

Re: Monday Morning Rants

Postby d_iris » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:09 am

i got news for all of you. THERE ARE NO MORE BLITZES TO SHOW. lebeau doesn't have some secret binder full of crazy/exotic blitzing schemes. bruce arians is about as vanilla as they come and so it looks like ol' dickey is becoming the same way. by the way, last night's loss was putrid. the entire stiller organization should be ashamed of themselves.

i got one more thing... as i was reading the articles this morning, i kept seeing the same things from the players quotes. everybody that was interviewed kept saying the same thing... "we know why they're the super bowl champions", "they are the champions because they're great", etc, etc, etc, etc, fucking, etc. don't be so quick to give props to the shitty giants just yet. we did everything to give the game away last night and the shitty giants BARELY won. there was a game on last night, alright, it was the Piksburgh Stillers VS. the Piksburgh Stillers... and the Stillers lost. we beat ourselves. fuck the giants. they didn't do shit.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby lloydrules » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:03 pm

It's pretty simple. NY put a premium on putting together, and committing to the future (entire OL signed thru 2012) on the line.

Eli's jersey was spotless.

Ben was sacked 5 times and hit over 20.

Pgh outplayed them pretty much every where else, other than the line.

Ben is better than Eli, but can't be when getting no time to pass.

No holes for the running game.

Thanks, front office and Rooneys, for ignoring the line every draft and free agency period.

Thanks for nothing, you sons of bitches.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Crosby4Life » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm

BigE wrote:The bobbleheads will tell you that snapping for a punt is far different than snapping for the offense.

Actually, this is quite accurate.

Shotgun snapping is basically just tossing the ball between your legs one-handed, the same way you'd throw a football normally...just through your legs.

Punt snapping requires much more velocity on the ball and requires you to put just about every muscle you have into the snap to get it back there as quickly as possible.

I've done both and can say that knowing how to do one definitely doesn't guarantee you can do the other. Yes, MOST centers have done both at some point in their careers, but that's not necessarily guaranteed. As we found out, punt snapping isn't something that just anyone can jump in and do without practice.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:13 pm

Crosby4Life wrote:
BigE wrote:The bobbleheads will tell you that snapping for a punt is far different than snapping for the offense.

Actually, this is quite accurate.

Shotgun snapping is basically just tossing the ball between your legs one-handed, the same way you'd throw a football normally...just through your legs.

Punt snapping requires much more velocity on the ball and requires you to put just about every muscle you have into the snap to get it back there as quickly as possible.

I've done both and can say that knowing how to do one definitely doesn't guarantee you can do the other. Yes, MOST centers have done both at some point in their careers, but that's not necessarily guaranteed. As we found out, punt snapping isn't something that just anyone can jump in and do without practice.

I've seen some links that said their first choice to try and be the back-up long snapper was Stapleton, and that he was absolutely horrible at it in practices.

On one try, they were lined up in FG formation, and his snapped went back to Reed, who of course was standing 3 yards back and to the left.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:14 pm

lloydrules wrote:It's pretty simple. NY put a premium on putting together, and committing to the future (entire OL signed thru 2012) on the line.

Eli's jersey was spotless.

Ben was sacked 5 times and hit over 20.

Pgh outplayed them pretty much every where else, other than the line.

Ben is better than Eli, but can't be when getting no time to pass.

No holes for the running game.

Thanks, front office and Rooneys, for ignoring the line every draft and free agency period.

Thanks for nothing, you sons of bitches.

And on at least half of those 20, it was because Ben held the ball too long, missing open receivers, or because receivers took their sweet time getting open.

And I'm tired of seeing no quick hot routes against the jailbreak. Mastering the concept of a hot route does not require an advanced degree- I cannot understand why our team can't get it.

Return to Stillers Talk