Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Ben sucked!!

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Re: Ben sucked!!

Postby Scalaid6 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:58 pm

Homer J wrote:Damn it, Scalaid, you were right. As Lincoln said of his failed field General McClelland, "he has a bad case of the slows."

So does Ben. Slow to read. Slow to recognize. Slow to release.

And there were way too many coverage sacks today. There were times he had five seconds - or more - and still couldn't find anyone.

Before Nate's first touchdown, there was a play where he was in the clear by 15 yards and Ben didn't see him - finally, when he did see him and threw the jump ball, Washington had a crowd around him.

The word around the league is that if you put enough pressure on him, he will beat himself. That he won't pick up the quick read or the hot read...and won't throw the ball away. That was the case against Philly, and again today.

He needs a new offensive coordinator, one who adjusts to his strengths and weaknesses. He still has the ability to be an elite quarterback. He's strong, accurate, has a rifle for an arm, and a nice soft touch.

However, it also seemed to me that there was something wrong with his throwing. We all saw the left thumb getting wrapped. But was there something wrong with the right hand? Were they masking something?? Just wondering.

Trust me It hurts me to be right. I love the Steelers and it breaks my heart to see ben struggle like this. Hes a good guy but I have been watching him EVERY game since 04 and I notice his flaws. This wont get better, how can it? Unless the light goes off and he gets some understanding we will go down with him. 1 int was not on him, yes Nate has to squeeze that. The last one, Limas could NOT get that ball. He was double covered anyways, the ball shouldnt have been thrown there. Eli had no dirt on him because he processes the defense fast and gets the ball out, this negates any pressure. He has the luxury of having an elite qb for an older brother and dad. Eli understands how to take care of the ball and take what the defense gives him. You can tell he read coverages. Good qbs dont look for whos open they read the coverage and know the weaknesses of that coverage and deliver the ball to that weakness. If your a qb in the NFL and your looking for the open guy you will fail. You have to read the coverage and make your throws accordingly

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Steel_Buckeye » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:43 am

Scalaid6,

Have I mentioned how HUMBLE you are.
I_STEEL_BELIEVE

Grizzled Veteran

Postby No l Gravity l » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:10 am

Scalaid6 wrote:
Homer J wrote:Damn it, Scalaid, you were right. As Lincoln said of his failed field General McClelland, "he has a bad case of the slows."

So does Ben. Slow to read. Slow to recognize. Slow to release.

And there were way too many coverage sacks today. There were times he had five seconds - or more - and still couldn't find anyone.

Before Nate's first touchdown, there was a play where he was in the clear by 15 yards and Ben didn't see him - finally, when he did see him and threw the jump ball, Washington had a crowd around him.

The word around the league is that if you put enough pressure on him, he will beat himself. That he won't pick up the quick read or the hot read...and won't throw the ball away. That was the case against Philly, and again today.

He needs a new offensive coordinator, one who adjusts to his strengths and weaknesses. He still has the ability to be an elite quarterback. He's strong, accurate, has a rifle for an arm, and a nice soft touch.

However, it also seemed to me that there was something wrong with his throwing. We all saw the left thumb getting wrapped. But was there something wrong with the right hand? Were they masking something?? Just wondering.

Trust me It hurts me to be right. I love the Steelers and it breaks my heart to see ben struggle like this. Hes a good guy but I have been watching him EVERY game since 04 and I notice his flaws. This wont get better, how can it? Unless the light goes off and he gets some understanding we will go down with him. 1 int was not on him, yes Nate has to squeeze that. The last one, Limas could NOT get that ball. He was double covered anyways, the ball shouldnt have been thrown there. Eli had no dirt on him because he processes the defense fast and gets the ball out, this negates any pressure. He has the luxury of having an elite qb for an older brother and dad. Eli understands how to take care of the ball and take what the defense gives him. You can tell he read coverages. Good qbs dont look for whos open they read the coverage and know the weaknesses of that coverage and deliver the ball to that weakness. If your a qb in the NFL and your looking for the open guy you will fail. You have to read the coverage and make your throws accordingly

Yeah we all know Eli never throws INTs because he processes the defenses well like his older brother. :suplusone:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby StillDodger » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:25 am

This has got to be the most-moronic thread in the history of Stillers.com......

If that stupid holding penalty wasn't committed, this would have been a totally different football game. It was the best pass thrown in the entire game, by either QB. (And Eli threw some gems himself.)

Two of the INTs came on 4th down..... It wouldn't have made any difference had they been incomplete passes. (In fact, the Giants would have had better field position had those passes been incomplete.)

I don't think there's a QB in the league that would have done any better under those circumstances. And this is not the first good QB the Giants have cut down.

Too bad we don't have Cleveland's offensive line, which I'm sad to say is easily the best in our division. :cry:
Whenever Tom Brady loses, it's always someone else's fault.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby dirtydave61 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:22 am

If that hold wasn't COMMITTED, Ben would have gotten laid out, and the result would have been the same. It was a justifiable call.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Field General Ben » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:48 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:TOLD YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're right. Ben sucks. Let's get rid of him and bring back Maddox, right? Or maybe Kordell is still available.

Ben haters are laughable and know fuck all about football.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:18 pm

Field General Ben wrote:

You're right. Ben sucks. Let's get rid of him and bring back Maddox, right? Or maybe Kordell is still available.

Ben haters are laughable and know fuck all about football.

No he doesn't suck, and we don't hate him. It's just that here's a guy who was 15-0 in his first season and was the youngest QB to ever win the Super Bowl, but he doesn't seem to be progressing into the Hall of Famer we were expecting. That's frustrating and a big letdown.
Whether it's because he's hit his ceiling (I don't think so), he has a lousy supporting cast in the trenches (uh, yeah), he has a terrible offensive coordinator (you betcha!), or the rest of the league has found his weaknesses (ya think?), something is wrong here.

Just because I really like Ben and root for him doesn't mean I'm blind to his weaknesses. Like I said, he has had a bad case of the slows. Slow to read, slow to recognize, and slow to release. And when you have an offensive line that's average at best, that's a serious problem. And until Ben, his receivers, and Bruce Arians speed up his game, Ben is gonna be getting manhandled on a weekly basis.

That ain't hatin' on Ben. That's just telling the truth. The painful truth.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:36 pm

Homer J wrote:No he doesn't suck, and we don't hate him. It's just that here's a guy who was 15-0 in his first season and was the youngest QB to ever win the Super Bowl, but he doesn't seem to be progressing into the Hall of Famer we were expecting. That's frustrating and a big letdown.

So, how's Big Bro Manning's progress going this year??

HHHMMMMM???????

It's a trick question, meant to illustrate that no matter how "great" your QB is, if your OL is struggling (Colts have been severely depleted this year by injury), your QB will also struggle.

Only, everybody here that doesn't know shit about the game other than what they learn at the feet of Troy Aikman and John Madden ( :roll: ) will continue to scratch their head and try to pin IT ALL on Ben.

Homer J wrote:Whether it's because...he has a lousy supporting cast in the trenches (uh, yeah), he has a terrible offensive coordinator (you betcha!), something is wrong here.
That ain't hatin' on Ben.

umm, it is if you blatantly ignore the factors mentioned above and try to pin it all on Ben.

...you paying attention, Scalaid?

...doubtful...
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Practice Squad

Postby Scarletfire1970 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:51 pm

Please try and contain your excitement.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Steelhope » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:13 pm

I don't hate Ben

By now he should know his O-line cannot give him 3 seconds let alone 5,6,...he should get out of the "slows" or the very least outside the tackles and get rid of the f*&*(*^ing ball!!!!. He used to do that....and that was much better than staying in the pocket too long and being surrounded then pounded.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:33 pm

Steelhope wrote:I don't hate Ben

By now he should know his O-line cannot give him 3 seconds let alone 5,6,...he should get out of the "slows" or the very least outside the tackles and get rid of the f*&*(*^ing ball!!!!. He used to do that....and that was much better than staying in the pocket too long and being surrounded then pounded.

Teams are getting better at containing him.

Eagles, and to a degree, the Giants, knew which way he liked to go when flushed, and would have help to contain.

Scalaid is right, to a degree. You can't just look for who's open.

You have to be able to read coverage so you know which of your routes is LIKELY to be open

because sometimes you can't wait for your guy to come open or out of his break...you have to throw and anticipate that the receiver will come out of the break and come open.

Practice Squad

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:01 pm

your online is terrible...... your DBs are weak........you can stop the run though...... your only saving grace.......by the end of november you will be an average team with an average record (.500)

Previous

Return to Stillers Talk