Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Holmes Caught with Pot

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Grizzled Veteran

Holmes Caught with Pot

Postby No l Gravity l » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:51 am

HOLMES CITED FOR MARIJUANA POSSESSION
Posted by Mike Florio on October 23, 2008, 11:52 p.m. EDT

Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes, who ran afoul of the law twice not long after he was selected by the Steelers in round one of the 2006 draft, is in trouble again.

On Thursday afternoon, Holmes was cited in Pittsburgh for possession of marijuana.

His SUV was stopped because it matched the description of a vehicle that had been involved in a crime. Police then discovered the marijuana.

“When they pulled him over, they found there was a smell of burnt marijuana in the vehicle,” said Sgt. James Vogel. “Mr. Holmes was very cooperative with officers and turned over some items to us and was subsequently summoned for those items . . . a couple of marijuana blunts.”

Holmes wasn’t taken into custody, but he was given a summons to appear in court, and he was released.

And while the authorities in Pittsburgh didn’t give Holmes a pass, Sgt. Vogel has gone to bat for him.

“We wouldn’t expect a steelworker to be laid off or suspended without pay [for marijuana possession],” said Vogel. “I wouldn’t expect a police officer, firefighter or a member of the Steelers.”

[Editor’s note: If/when my house is on fire, I hope that they dispatch the guys from the firehouse with the firefigthers who spend their down time smoking pot. They’ll be so much mellower while trying to save my life.]

But Sgt. Vogel didn’t write the league’s rules for things of this nature. If Holmes is convicted of or pleads guilty to the charges, he’ll be subject to discipline under the substance-abuse policy. For a first offense, Holmes faces a maximum suspension of four games, without pay.

Earlier this year, Pats running back Kevin Faulk was suspended for one game after admitting to marijuana possession.

Technically, the Steelers aren’t permitted to discipline Holmes separately. And they likely won’t, given that Holmes is a key contributor. (See Harrison, James and Wilson, Cedrick.)

Stillers.com Team

Re: Holmes Caught with Pot

Postby Nel » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:57 am

That was stupid, Holmes.

:(

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Steel_Buckeye » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:50 am

Don't care what anybody says, in today's NFL, Holmes is going to get suspended! What an idiot. The way things are going with other teams, I would not be the least surprised to see the Steelers suspend him.
I_STEEL_BELIEVE

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby kapone » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:19 am

..Dumbass! This guy was a problem from day one. The Steelers won't put up with it very long...if at all.

Practice Squad

Postby bleedingB&G » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:32 am

Anyone know what kind of car Santonio drives? They said a car matching his cars description was involved in a crime. I picture him Driving a Denali with 24's on it, but I dunno. I don't see how anyone could have a car like his-maybe I'm making an assumption, but if I made millions a year I'd be driving some custom one of a kind vehicle. TY Pit police! Waych us lose to NYG from this. We are in a bad stretch to be having some BS like this go down.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:02 am

Holmes lucky McLovin not the commish of the NFL. Goodell is too soft on these thugs. McLovin would have a one strike policy. Too bad there wouldn't be a league left.

Holmes: "Commish McLovin I's soo sorry that I's smo-KED the dope and gots arrestid."

Commish McLovin: "Get out of McLovin's league. Pardon me Holmes but don't you know how many GOOD people dream of having your talent? Commish McLovin is sorry you have 10 kids from 10 different women but how about buying them diapers and food and clothing instead of rolling fatties while cruising downtown Pittsburgh. Now get out of McLovin's office you thug so McLovin chase around his fat, balls ugly secretary."

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby dukemcfister » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:54 am

Damn, maybe I need to get a hold of Sanantonio to get me the hookup. This damn town's been dry for 3 weeks...

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Crosby4Life » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:10 am

A WR with a rap sheet that includes abuse and drugs? Trade him to the Bengals. Should be worth at least a first rounder to the Boys In Stripes...

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby TheOldRanger » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:16 am

First rule: never have weed in the vehicle, and especially never smoke weed in the vehicle. This ain't the Summer of Love, Wavy Gravy. That "I won't get caught" mentality is just stupid. Always keep the dutch at home, where it can be enjoyed in relative safety and security. This was a totally Bengalish move by Holmes.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Crosby4Life » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:05 am

Hines should give ol' Santonio the Keith Rivers treatment

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:32 am

bleedingB&G wrote:Waych us lose to NYG from this.

I think this incident with Holmes is a non-factor in whether we win or lose to the Gi'nts, just like he's been a relative non-factor in our receiving game this entire season.

...and I think now we might know why he's been a relative non-factor...

He better snap out of it and get his shit together, or he could be looking at the "gateway" out.

And, no, don't even do that shit at home, especially not mid-season.

For all you ass-hats that try to argue that it's OK as long as it's done "in private" thinking that it doesn't effect your performance, just look back at the year he's having and get a clue.
We all know Holmes can play better than this, and if the PSFO thinks for a moment that they're not getting the value of the big bucks they're paying him, they should AT LEAST send a clear message with some kind of probation, and show him the door if it persists.
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Practice Squad

Postby SNW » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:46 am

We should get to see Sweed again soon.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Coke Oven » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:17 pm

I don't think that he's that good of a player such that the Steelers would miss him much if they just let him go. Seems that a lot of people expect a lot out of him due to his draft position and are wishing that he was that good. I truly haven't seen it on the field of play.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:27 pm

Coke Oven wrote:I don't think that he's that good of a player such that the Steelers would miss him much if they just let him go. Seems that a lot of people expect a lot out of him due to his draft position and are wishing that he was that good. I truly haven't seen it on the field of play.

No that good? He led the league in receiving yards last year. As Edge said maybe his dope smoking is messing with his development but the talent is clearly there. Does McLovin hate drug abusing gangsta thugs that frequent pro sports? Sure he does, but how do we even know how many Steelers' players smoke up with Holmes? Fat Casey clearly has the munchies do the Steelers cut his fat ass for his declining play? How about Sweed's drops, is he so high he can't see the ball? See where this line of irrational thinking is going?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:38 pm

You guys are naive as hell if you think Santonio is in the minority in regards to smoking weed. And if you think Holmes is not valuable to our team then you must be smoking the green leaves. How do you think Heath and Hines are open underneath? It is due to Holmes running the deep route occupying a corner and a safety, giving Hines and Heath one on one coverage.The same with T.O. in Dallas. Do you think Witten is a great route runner? Take T.O off of Dallas and witten gets doubled and hes a non factor. Holmes' contributions dont always show up on the stat sheet. I think the Steelers will suspend him one game, Goodell wont get involved in this one, its minor. Mclovin, a one strike league?? Thats absurd and I hope you were being sarcastic.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:42 pm

Sure he does, but how do we even know how many Steelers' players smoke up with Holmes? Fat Casey clearly has the munchies do the Steelers cut his fat ass for his declining play? How about Sweed's drops, is he so high he can't see the ball? See where this line of irrational thinking is going?

Or Maybe thats why Ben holds onto the ball too long or has no sense of urgency. Like how we let the bengals hang around for 3 quarters. Then the high wore off and we played up to potential. Maybe thats why hes not processing the information quick enough. Hmmm

Seasoned Veteran

Postby JumboHeadYouks » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:45 pm

McLovin wrote:
Coke Oven wrote:I don't think that he's that good of a player such that the Steelers would miss him much if they just let him go. Seems that a lot of people expect a lot out of him due to his draft position and are wishing that he was that good. I truly haven't seen it on the field of play.

No that good? He led the league in receiving yards last year. As Edge said maybe his dope smoking is messing with his development but the talent is clearly there. Does McLovin hate drug abusing gangsta thugs that frequent pro sports? Sure he does, but how do we even know how many Steelers' players smoke up with Holmes? Fat Casey clearly has the munchies do the Steelers cut his fat ass for his declining play? How about Sweed's drops, is he so high he can't see the ball? See where this line of irrational thinking is going?

Holmes most certainly did NOT lead the league in receiving yards last year....he led the league in YARDS PER RECEPTION....big difference.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby GodfatherofSoul » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:18 pm

I hope he gets a decent lawyer. He was pulled over for having a car that LOOKS like one associated with a drug dealer? This has BS stop all over it. He'll still get a suspension probably, but at least the charges will get booted.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:31 pm

Your EXACTLY right Godfatherofsoul. Thats primarily why I objected to Mclovins ONE STRIKE policy. Let me preface my post by stating that there are MANY good law protecting police officers. In saying that, there are FAR too many jealous cops on the beat who have issues with rich black athletes and they target them way too often. How the black athlete fail is that they KNOW the game but they still give these officers ammunition. It all comes down to good decision making. The best athletes make the best decisions on the field, and the best decision makers off the field are usually the ones who have the most success in society.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby LambertoCincoOcho » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:00 pm

The NBA was a cunt hair away from removing herb from it's banned substances list a few years ago. So what if someone smokes some dried flowers. LEGALIZE IT AND I WILL ADVERTISE IT- BOB MARLEY

Next

Return to Stillers Talk