Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Regrets with James Harrison

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

Regrets with James Harrison

Postby DirtDawson » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:53 pm

It's so nice to have such a dominating pass rush once again, something that embodies the Steelers more than anything else.

When both your key pass rushers rank in the top 5 in the league in sacks, it's something to celebrate.

The amount of havoc they wreak in the offensive backfield is a thing of beauty, and it's been strikingly consistent too.

People remember that Harrison at one point back in 2000, was an undrafted rookie FA. But whenever he was given a chance to play, he showed glimpses of greatness.

My only regret is that it took so long before he was allowed to start.

When I think about 2005, whenever Harrison was given play time, he always showed he could really outplay most regular starters in the league.

But behind Porter and Haggans, he was never really given a chance to start, which is sad.

He's now 30 years old, yes he's still in his prime. But imagine how many years of success he could've had if he was given a chance to play earlier on.

It's a lesson to be learned when you have guys like Bryant McFadden and Lawrence Timmons still rotting on the bench (albeit, both are starting to get more PT).

Seasoned Veteran

Re: Regrets with James Harrison

Postby GodfatherofSoul » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:56 pm

DirtDawson wrote:It's so nice to have such a dominating pass rush once again, something that embodies the Steelers more than anything else.

When both your key pass rushers rank in the top 5 in the league in sacks, it's something to celebrate.

The amount of havoc they wreak in the offensive backfield is a thing of beauty, and it's been strikingly consistent too.

People remember that Harrison at one point back in 2000, was an undrafted rookie FA. But whenever he was given a chance to play, he showed glimpses of greatness.

My only regret is that it took so long before he was allowed to start.

When I think about 2005, whenever Harrison was given play time, he always showed he could really outplay most regular starters in the league.

But behind Porter and Haggans, he was never really given a chance to start, which is sad.

He's now 30 years old, yes he's still in his prime. But imagine how many years of success he could've had if he was given a chance to play earlier on.

It's a lesson to be learned when you have guys like Bryant McFadden and Lawrence Timmons still rotting on the bench (albeit, both are starting to get more PT).

Usually, backups aren't starting because they're not READY to start. Not every new star emerging from the bench is a victim.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby DirtDawson » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:41 pm

But when you have players who really show alot of potential in the limited PT that they get, it's just a matter of taking someone out for someone better.

Harrison showed back in 2005 that he could succeed greatly as a starter, as he scored sacks in games where he was only playing about a quarter of the plays.

It's not like Harrison had to wait till he was 29 untill the coaches deemed him ready to start

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:48 pm

DirtDawson wrote:But when you have players who really show alot of potential in the limited PT that they get, it's just a matter of taking someone out for someone better.

Harrison showed back in 2005 that he could succeed greatly as a starter, as he scored sacks in games where he was only playing about a quarter of the plays.

It's not like Harrison had to wait till he was 29 untill the coaches deemed him ready to start

I remember the same thing. Everytime Haggans got hurt Silverback would PERFORM. But Lebeau felt Haggans was better, so what can you do? I recall cowher saying "Silverback is the strongest player I know" etc but he still got limited time. At the time he couldnt replace Porter who was still productive but I ALWAYS thought he should be in over Haggans. Haggans had a spot on the team due to Porters strong pressence (College mates). You notice when Joey got cut haggans was gone the next season (Whats he doing for the Cards? NOTHING)

Seasoned Veteran

Postby DirtDawson » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:04 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:I remember the same thing. Everytime Haggans got hurt Silverback would PERFORM. But Lebeau felt Haggans was better, so what can you do? I recall cowher saying "Silverback is the strongest player I know" etc but he still got limited time. At the time he couldnt replace Porter who was still productive but I ALWAYS thought he should be in over Haggans. Haggans had a spot on the team due to Porters strong pressence (College mates). You notice when Joey got cut haggans was gone the next season (Whats he doing for the Cards? NOTHING)

The name Kendrell Bell comes to mind...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:00 am

What about KB??

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Steel_Buckeye » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:12 am

Just think, at one point Silverback was on the Ravens practice squad for a year or two. Then we got him. Shewwww that was close.
I_STEEL_BELIEVE

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Steeledge » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:14 pm

Scalaid6 wrote:Whats [Haggans] doing for the Cards? NOTHING

...ummm, I think he's actually playing at least as good as he did when he was here.

I'm not sure how much that contradicts your point, though... :?
Wha make you tink I won cutchu, mang?!?

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Scalaid6 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:22 pm

Your just playing devils advocate. Haggans is a bum and the only reason hes in the league is his steeler ties.

Return to Stillers Talk