Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » This Week's Hard Hat Award....

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Seasoned Veteran

This Week's Hard Hat Award....

Postby Homer J » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:15 am

1. MeMo. Does anyone doubt why Tomlin wanted and got Mr Versatility? Not a bad performance for a former 3rd stringer.

2. The Three Amigos. Timmons now joins the Dynamic Duo of Silverback and Woodley, as part of the most fearsome trio of linebackers in the league, picking up a half dozen sacks against the Cincy Bungles. Some might criticize Tomlin and LeBeau for waiting too long to put him in there, but I don't. He wasn't even 20 years old when drafted, and simply not ready. Mistakes back there can kill you. Timmons is ready now, he's confident, and he's kicking ass. Last year at this time, folks on this board were bitching about the 1-2 picks of Timmons and Woodley. Well??????

3. The Tiffinator. Okay, Nate doesn't really belong here, but he has had two home run catches in two weeks. Sure, the guy he beat yesterday just got a shave, a sermon, and a contract from the Central Union Homeless Mission and really doesn't belong in the NFL. But folks had been ridin' Nate's bony ass for months, and now he's starting to contribute and prove us all wrong.

What do all of the above nominees have in common? People on this board - and elsewhere - questioned their contributions early on. People noted after three weeks, Benji had more receptions than MeMo. People questioned Timmons and Woodley half a dozen games into their rookie year. And nearly all of us were all over Nate like a pack of stray dogs on a meat wagon.

So, ya see Timmy, patience is a virtue. New players, rookies, and players from small, unknown colleges sometimes take a while before they can really contribute.

Now, your thoughts on who deserves the HHA for this week.....

Grizzled Veteran

Re: This Week's Hard Hat Award....

Postby Jeemie » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:37 am

Hard Hat is supposed to go to someone who did unheralded work in the trenches.

IMHO, there's only one guy who fits the bill for that this week- Stapleton.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby dukemcfister » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:49 am

I give the hardhat this week to Hines for not letting up despite the Goodall Mafia coming to collect and ing a pansy Bungholes jaw...

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:26 am

Tough call for this oh-so prestigious award this week. McLovin' says give it to the OL for not allowing a sack and paving the way for Melwede's big game, but the Bengirls not exactly the '85 Bears either. Ward deserves honorable mention for not letting his fines deter him from abusing opposing defensive players.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Snockered Pedestrian » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:28 pm

1) Mewelde Moore
2) Hines The Designated Butt-Kicker
3) Silverback/Wood/Timmons
4) Stapleton

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:44 pm

You guys are right. I'm so used to Hines Ward's Hall of Fame blocking and toughness that I take it for granted. That block he threw yesterday was both legal and lethal. Not since the one he threw against Orpheus Roye have a seen one so beautiful....and one that was shown from coast-to-coast as a game break or halftime highlight.

Hines is in the top three somewhere....

And let's have some love for Stapleton. The offensive line began playing with some degree of cohesiveness the minute he went in there. This kid was anchor of a terrific offensive line at Rutgers when Rice ran wild up there. And simply because Rutgers has had a POS reputation over the years meant he was overlooked in the draft. This kid is Joe the Blocker. Nobody outside of Pittsburgh knows his name yet, but he quietly does his job in the trenches, opens holes, protects the quarterback, and doesn't mess up. If that ain't what the hard hat award is about, I don't know what is. I stand corrected on Ward and Stapleton. :surockin: :subngtowl: :sucope:

Grizzled Veteran

Postby McLovin » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:35 pm

Homer J wrote:This kid is Joe the Blocker. Nobody outside of Pittsburgh knows his name yet, but he quietly does his job in the trenches, opens holes, protects the quarterback, and doesn't mess up. . :surockin: :subngtowl: :sucope:

Nice post

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jeemie » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:55 pm

Homer J wrote:And let's have some love for Stapleton

Um...are my posts invisible on this board?

Practice Squad

Postby StillSmitter » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:49 pm

My vote is for Hines, not only for the hit, but also for the outfit he had on after the game, when he was interviewed and said if he gets fined for a LEGAL hit, then so be it. Anyone else see that outfit? It looked like some sort of tuxedo.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby indysteel » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:47 pm

I can't believe you fellas overlooked Jeff Reed. I mean come on....hurt leg, gutted out, overall tough guy..

Just kidding.

How about Harrison and Woodley?

Stapleton comes up to. No bitchin, or moanin...just out road grading. A Steeler kinda guy.

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby catesinator » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:08 pm

My vote is for Ward. That was the hardest block I've seen in the NFL this season and it set the tone for the entire game. Hines also had a key 30 yard catch on that drive and a TD grab.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Hi5Steeler » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:04 pm

you guys are all fucking nuts. if we hadnt picked up mewelde moore this year we would have lost this game.

what...you think gary russell is gonna carry the team?

MEWELDE MOORE is the only player up for hard hat. FIVE RECEPTIONS 1 for a TD. 120 yds rushing. 2 more TDs. 6 YARDS PER CARRY

this is why we won the game.

period.

game over.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby LambertoCincoOcho » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:44 am

Hines Wards knockout exemplifies the meaning of "hard hat". Hines Ward knocked dude out for season. Mewelde gets my back of week award. On D I give it to Silverback.

Return to Stillers Talk