Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » kick return guy

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Greenhorned Rookie

kick return guy

Postby 1fourdathumb » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:53 pm

do we have anyone, i mean anyone, that has a real shot at breaking one. why are we content on advancing the ball to the 25 or if we are lucky to the 30 yd. line?? :shock:

Grizzled Veteran

Re: kick return guy

Postby indysteel » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:13 pm

Don't know why. I don't ever recall us having a real gamebreaker in the return area (maybe Randle El, but he was more of a june bug than anything else).

Frankly, I'd rather get the ball on the 20 and proceed so shove the ball down the throat of the other team on a 10 play drive.

Grizzled Veteran

Postby Lake37 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:15 pm

This was discussed in the game thread, and as I said before I like having Najeh back there returning kicks because he does run north and south and doesn't dance around like kick returners in the past (ARE). I really don't mind the fact that Najeh isn't likely to break one. Last year the avg. kickoff returns for TD's per team in the NFL was 0.8 (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2007/), so hoping for the long TD returns is something that isn't going to happen more than once or twice a season.

To me I would rather have a guy who is going to pick up consistent yardage return after return, than put guys back there who are going to dance around in hopes of busting a long one maybe once or twice a season. But that's just me.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:20 pm

1fourdathumb wrote:do we have anyone, i mean anyone, that has a real shot at breaking one. why are we content on advancing the ball to the 25 or if we are lucky to the 30 yd. line?? :shock:

I think that's nitpicking.

The W-L record is 5-1 and the Steelers lead the division.

That is enough for me.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby GCCSteel » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:20 pm

Heres an idea...combine the Dennis Dixon more PT thread and this one. Get him back there on Kick Returns, kind of a Josh Cribbs type of thing. He seems to be more than athletic enough, would be weird (maybe a first) to have a listed QB returning kicks...I didn't say it was a good idea...

Greenhorned Rookie

Postby 1fourdathumb » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:09 pm

special teams can really boost a struggling offense. if the other team realizes that our return guy is a potential threat, sometimes they pooch it which in return gives the offense good field position. field position, once we get into the meat of our schedule, is going to be key.
Nel wrote:
1fourdathumb wrote:do we have anyone, i mean anyone, that has a real shot at breaking one. why are we content on advancing the ball to the 25 or if we are lucky to the 30 yd. line?? :shock:

I think that's nitpicking.

The W-L record is 5-1 and the Steelers lead the division.

That is enough for me.

Stillers.com Team

Postby Nel » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:15 pm

1fourdathumb wrote:special teams can really boost a struggling offense. if the other team realizes that our return guy is a potential threat, sometimes they pooch it which in return gives the offense good field position. field position, once we get into the meat of our schedule, is going to be key.

I've been watching NFL football for 42 years, and my uncle was a head referee in the NFL for several decades.

I think I understand the importance of field position.

Not having a flashy kickoff returner is fairly far down the list of things about which I would complain regarding the 5-1 Steelers.

If the Steelers can't play a good field position game without having a high-yardage kickoff return man, then they don't deserve to win.

:subngtowl:

Seasoned Veteran

Postby LambertoCincoOcho » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:52 am

I disagree. Let Dookie do the dirty work for right now. We have injury concerns at RB. It's mid-season and if you need a reminder this is a marathon not a sprint.

Seasoned Veteran

Postby Homer J » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:55 am

GCCSteel wrote:Heres an idea...combine the Dennis Dixon more PT thread and this one. Get him back there on Kick Returns, kind of a Josh Cribbs type of thing. He seems to be more than athletic enough, would be weird (maybe a first) to have a listed QB returning kicks...I didn't say it was a good idea...

Back when Sonny and Kilmer were the Redskins' two starting quarterbacks (they kinda alternated and switched on and off), the Skins drafted a kid out of Notre Dame as a kick returner and third string quarterback. For two years or so, fourth round draft pick Joe Theismann returned punts - and occasionally kickoffs - for the Redskins.

Jurgy and Kilmer hated the kid's guts, and refused to talk to him. Period. There were probably two reasons for that. One, that they kew he was a threat to their jobs as they got older. And two, have you ever heard that asshat Theismann shut up?

So we have seen a third QB returning punts before.....I'm just not sure we want to risk have one get broken in half. :suxfingers:

Return to Stillers Talk