Register

Board index » Stillers Talk » Even with Rookie pick Moore says he'd still have signed.

Anything and everything about the Pittsburgh Steelers
Stillers.com Team

Even with Rookie pick Moore says he'd still have signed.

Postby thesteelhammer » Sat May 31, 2008 1:03 pm

I realize Moore may just be saying the right thing, but I like the guys attitude.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_570267.html

Crowded backfield doesn't faze Moore
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, May 31, 2008

If he had it do again, running back Mewelde Moore would still sign with the Steelers -- even though Pittsburgh has since drafted Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall in the first round.
In March, Moore left the Minnesota Vikings as a free agent and signed a three-year deal with the Steelers. The next month, the Steelers added Mendenhall.

Moore, though, said he has never felt better about his decision.

"I'm excited," said Moore, whose contract is worth as much as $4.95 million with a $1.35 million signing bonus. "I know my role. My role is being a return guy and a third-down guy, spelling the (starter and backup). That's something I'm comfortable with."

Pressed about the possibility of an even bigger role reduction with the addition of Mendenhall -- not to mention the presence of Najeh Davenport and Gary Russell in the Steelers' crowded backfield -- Moore didn't blink an eye.
"That's the reason why I signed on," said Moore, a former fourth-round pick out of Tulane. "I was asked to do certain things I know I'm capable of doing."

Moore, a 5-foot-11, 209-pounder, played four years with the Minnesota Vikings, including one season when Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was the offensive coordinator. He had 11 career starts, rushing for 1,285 yards and one touchdown. He also caught 116 passes for 1,093 yards and three scores.

Moore's versatility with the Vikings was never more evident than when he was part of a rotation that included Adrian Peterson, Chester Taylor, Michael Bennett and Onterrio Smith.

"I've been in situations where you build a stable and use every horse in the stable," Moore said. "When you're called upon, you have to make sure that you're capable and ready to do it. I've been here, and so far, I enjoy it."

Another reason for Moore's comfort with the situation is his knack for returning punts, along with the Steelers' need to upgrade in that area.

Moore is Minnesota's career leader in punt-return average (10.5 yards), and he has twice returned punts for touchdowns.

The Steelers' average of 6.1 yards per punt return ranked 30th out of 32 teams in 2007.

Practice Squad

Re: Even with Rookie pick Moore says he'd still have signed.

Postby 955875 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:32 pm

including one season when Steelers coach Mike Tomlin was the offensive coordinator

Ummmmmm

Anyways,, if this guy is as good at picking up the blitz as advertised he will be an excellent addition. Pick-up the blitz and catch the ball out of the backfield on 3rd down. Will help our offense even more.

Further, I really hope Russell makes the roster over Davenport.. Not unlikely that Parker or Mendenhall get hurt. In that event with Russell we could still have a pretty potent 1/2 punch.

Return to Stillers Talk