Loose Slag from the Still Mill�. (Nov. 24th)
1. Gives us a chance to evaluate personnel, in preparation for off-season moves and the draft. You can't evaluate a man while he's sitting on pine.
2. Gives youngsters a chance to get experience and improve on their skills.
The men who should be getting increased PT are: Amos, Malcolm, Shaw, Fu, Hunt (as a FB), Conrad, Edwards (he's STILL not starting, by the way), Gonzo, Faat Staat, Smith, Porter, and Shields. (No omission of Kelsay here -- he's a 7th round stiff). Guys who need to be issued a seat cushion: Hawkins, Wittman, Prozac, Emmons, Henry, Davis, Jackwell, A. Brown, Roye, and Steed. (Note that some guys --- good or bad --- are on this seat-cushion list simply because there is NOTHING we can learn about them that we don't already know.)
Knowing Cowher, he'll wait until December 15th or so to finally decide to give some of these guys some PT. And then he'll lament next August about why his youngsters are not progressing.
- I've been too busy to check Intertops.com, as well as Vegas, to see if one can place a bet on this upcoming Cinci game. No, not on the win/loss. Rather, on if, for the 3rd week in a row, we can throw the game away in our final possession on an intercepted screen play.
- Ya gotta believe that Cowher has seen some recent box scores of the Chico Bears. The reporters ought to ask him about Jim Miller, the man Cowher gave about 38 minutes of opportunity to back in '96. Stewart gets dozens of games to slop around in, but Miller got just over 2 quarters of work. Cowher probably feels like a dunce. Wait�.no, he won't. Cowhead is too mulestubborn and blind to see the fine work Miller has done. Plus, Cowher is proud to have the 29th ranked pass offense in the NFL, for the 2d year in a row. Technically, this is an improvement --- and you KNOW Field Goal Bill feels this way --- because there are now 31 teams this year.
- Holan "Hot Tub" Harrison was on Stan & Guy's show on Fox. (I get it on DSS.) Harrison babbled on and on about how "this team is not a bunch of quitters" and "we'll keep fighting and we won't give up", etc. It was rather amusing. We're talking about a team that rolled over and played dead the final 5 games last year. This year, we've yet to beat a winning team, and we've slopped our way thru 4 of the wins we have. And, all this bravado coming from the Hot Tub Meister himself, Hot Tub Harrison. How many games has this guy fully played in the past 2 season?? 6? 7?
The Still Mill